Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Answers to cold feet during riding
  • diz

Hi I need advice as to how to keep my feet warm when out cycling. I have very poor circulation due to secondary Reynards disease. I’ve tried overshoes and they do help but still not enough! Has any one any experience of thermal type socks or even heated insoles?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Either loosen your shoes or get bigger ones.

vickypea
    Free Member

I have some winter boots- Northwave ones- waterproof and fleece lined. Toasty.
    Before I had them, I used Little Hotties – you stick them to the outside of your socks and they give off heat for a few hours.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Years ago I suffered from cold feet, got some MTB boots (cannondale?) wow what a difference toasty feet make to a ride!
    What shoes are you currently using?

vickypea
    Free Member

For winter road rides, I also have some really heavy duty overshoes with a wind proof waterproof outer and really thick fleece inside.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Bit of cling film folded twice, over your toes. Welcome.

diz

I currently use Sidi shoes. They have plenty of room in them for an extra pair of socks etc.

scotroutes

Nah – try these…

http://www.evocycles.co.uk/m3b1s377p0/CLOTHING/BONTRAGER/Winter-Boots-MTB

In general though, buy boots that are a size up, wear thick socks and possible over-shoes

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I found thermal insoles helped, I thought my cleats might be contributing to the problem. A short pair of walking gaiters adds to the warmth.

jruk
    Free Member

Merino wool socks and shimano mw81 boots do it for me.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i use some cut up arms off an old windstopper, zip of arm jersey i still wear, folded over and put over toes. But i think you can get windstopper socks, which would make more sense but less cheap than my whydon’tyou fix

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Loosen shoes/boots.
    Good socks.
    Good core temperature.

The last is a biggie. Everyone focuses on the extremities, yet there’s a lot to be made of keeping your core warm to allow better blood flow to those extremities.

TiRed

Sidi boots that are a size too large, decent insoles and merino wool long socks. Then when it gets stupid cold, i add overshoes. It is important to retain what little circulation you have, so go a size bigger, do not do the shoes up too tightly or be tempted to crush in an extra sock layer. This stops circulation and you get colder.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Flat pedals and shoes. See that big brass cleat, that’s cold feet that is.

dawson

I too suffer from cold feet, my current solution is thin pair of freebie socks that came on front of a bike mag, then long thermal socks that come up to my knees, then overshoes.

My theory is that the long socks help to keep the chill off my lower legs and stop the blood getting chilled before it reaches my feet – this is while wearing full leggings.

Last year I also started wearing a roadie cap under my helmet and I think this helps too.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Lake boots, with 3mm neoprene foil lined in soles and two pairs of thin socks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tape over any vents and over the cleat under the insole. Layer of silver ALU foil insulation tape under the insole.
    Warm your socks and shoes on a radiator before you put them on. Make sure your ankles and calfs are warm too.
    Good thick pair of merino socks.
    Remember to wiggle your toes frequently.
    See Charlie the bike monger.. He’s got the winter boots you need.

colournoise

Reynaulds here too. Best solution for me so far is sealskins and Shimano boots (size up) warmed on a radiator before riding. Leggings and layers on body to keep core warm. Works OK 9 times out of 10. The other 1 time is pain and discomfort eased by a long hot bath after the ride. Most winter rides though, the pain my hands takes my mind away from any cold feet.

StirlingCrispin

Merino wool socks and shimano mw81 boots.

Plus make sure you’re legs are warm by using windstopper tights or equivalent.

robcolliver
    Free Member

45 Nrth boots. They are called Wolfhammer. I have all the Raynauds you could ever want and can ride these boots straight through the night in winter. Change socks every 6 hours or so (I use Bridgedale merino hiking socks).

diz

Thank you everyone. Time to hit the shops me thinks.

GregMay
    Free Member

Currently have a pair of the 45NRTH Japanthers – baby brother of the Wolfhammer – after two pairs of Spesh and one Shimano winter boot.

By far warmer, but less good at keeping all the water out.

hugo
    Free Member

Also, don’t neglect other parts of your body. If your hands and arms are fighting to stay warm, even if they feel ok, then it’s not going to help your feet as there’s only so much warm blood to go around.

That and a cracking pair of boots!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

scaled,

If you’ve got the Northwave extreme boots as I have with the two Boa laces, I find they gape at the top, mate’s are the same & though they are warm water just fills them up & they become expensive wellies hence why the 2016 boots have a new higher ankle cuff design, mine have hardly been used & going on ebay.

thecaptain
    Free Member

northwave artic of various varieties are the best I’ve used. Just got a new set this spring as it warmed up, looking forward to trying them out soon!

zero-cool
    Free Member

Bigger shoes coupled with thicker socks. Definitely not same shoes with thicker socks. It’s all about insulation and increasing circulation.

Tom KP

MadBillMcMad

Ad captain flash says.

Size up the boots and the best wool socks, like smartwooll.

I would advise against those shimano type winter boots, they are all too tight fitting which kills circulation.

I use 661s.

FOG

My problem is my feet are so big that I need the largest size in every make easily available! So no sizing up with thicker socks for me. I have a pair of the Shimano MW 80s which were good for a while but after five winters they are no longer as warm. On flats I use Sombrios and Seal Skins but these only last two hours max before getting cold. So next some overshoes. I have tried these before but always end up splitting them because even XL sizes struggle to fit over my shoes. Any suggestion for v large overshoes with possibly multiple insulation?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lake boots, with 3mm neoprene foil lined in soles and two pairs of thin socks.

+1 for Lake 303s. Toasty warm at -10c with a pair of woolie boolies.

langylad
    Free Member

I tried a few years of sealskin socks (rubbish), shimano mw81’s (miserably cold due to narrowness) and Diadora Chilli’s (a form of torture). All the problems were mainly due to me having short, wide feet which struggled for any circulation (sealskins really are rubbish in the rain though).
    The best thing i have found without spending enough to buy a small second hand car is merino wool socks, overlayed with plastic sandwich bags, normal cycling shoes with thick neoprene overshoes. If it gets really cold i put a pair of Maplin battery heated insoles in, you look like a bit of a git with the battery packs strapped to your legs, but it makes the ride almost bearable.

ironnigel
    Free Member

Northwave get my vote. I recommend going up a size on your regular size. Wear thicker socks in them. Don’t do them up too tight.
    Wear an ankle gaiter over them to stop water getting in thru the hole where you got / ankle is.

That said… Go to a real bike shop and get fitted. Don’t trust STW on this or risk an online purchase. Either take your own thick socks or use those that the shop has. Take your time and use the sales assistant. Don’t be embarassed about this in a very British way. Ask for different sizes, and different makes. It’s your money and they’re getting paid to do this. This is a really personal thing. You’re gonna spend a chunk of cash on this. Get it right!

Overshoes are rubbish. It took me three sets and roughly £75 to realise this. Proper winter boots are one of your best buys if you ride throughout the year.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Answers to cold feet during riding’ is closed to new replies.