another Whyte 129 thread…

Home Forum Bike Forum another Whyte 129 thread…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • another Whyte 129 thread…
  • Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

I’m 5’8″ and had a ’13 medium. You’ll be needing a large I’m sure.

You can’t do fit from a sit, you need to ride it on some downy twisty bits, that’s when it comes alive and that’s the fit that matters IMO.

I sold mine because I think I want more travel and smaller wheels, but it’s a good bike if what it’s made for is what you want to do.

fr0sty125

I don’t have one but 32 inch is quite a short inside leg for someone who is 6,2 I’m 6ft my inside leg is almost 34.

z1ppy

I know the whole sit on it isn’t all there is too it, but I’ve sat on any number of mediums (26er) and it’s been immediately obvious that they were too small. This didn’t, very much to my surprise… and I have a medium Whyte 929 already….

I’ve always been told my inside measurement was 32, I take R (regular) on trousers, though mboy is convinced it’s more (from trying bikes, no other reason!). I also do have a m8 and his dad who are shorter than me but both have longer legs (from trying to get on their bikes)… so I dunno

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Fit’s more about reach, no? Leg length is just how much of the Reverb is sitting in the seat tube, within fairly large parameters.

z1ppy

dunno, it’s mentioned often enough in sizing threads, so I thought I’d mention it & reply to the post above about mine being ‘small’ 😳
    Reach has always been my main guide, but the medium HT I bought is fine (unusual geo, compared to the rest of the range) and from the sit test the medium 129 fits me.

As I say, I’d love a demo, but you can’t get one (I’ve asked). So I get to ask advise from stranger instead 😉

Frankers

I’m 6′ and have demo’d a large, you wouldn’t want a medium

jonnyb1972

You’re the same size as me, you 100 % need the large

z1ppy

Can I ask those of you with this bike, what size you went for? (and how tall are you?)

Getting a demo is impossible & had thought it a cut and dried, I’m 6’2″ (32″ inside leg) it’ll be a large… I’ve just got to ‘sit’ on a medium model & it felt quite good. Definitely not ridiculously small as I expected, as per all medium 26er’s I’ve tried. I’m not quite in the position to buy one, but will be sometime soon, and would like to just get one ‘ordered’ (if possible) as soon as my boat come in…

ps: Any w. midlands 129 owners fancy trying a medium 929 Hardtail (yes I know thats a medium but the large 729 HT [demoed] vs 929 HT geo are weirdly very different), while I try their 129? Even just quickly

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

Another 6’2″ but average length legs person here (long back) – I went large and it is spot on.

I may have mine in Cannock next weekend, but not confirmed as yet (I live in the Lakes), if that would be any use to you!

z1ppy

You all seem pretty confident, but can add to this and ask, did any of the owner of large, actually try/sit on a medium?

Only the Whyte 2014 geo’s been updated and the large T-129 now has a TT length thats ‘smaller’ than last years medium..

Large TT is now 610mm (was 631) vs 616mm 2013 medium.

I know this isn’t the whole story but it seems to suggest a contradiction to the above views (and not great for those really tall bods looking at Whyte’s 2014 range).

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Only the Whyte 2014 geo’s been updated and the large T-129 now has a TT length thats ‘smaller’ than last years medium..

Although the wheelbase, chainstay length and head angle are exactly the same as last year. How does that work then? Surely if you lop 20mm off the TT and keep everything else the same the wheelbase must drop by 20mm too. I’m guessing an error in either this year or last year’s chart.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘another Whyte 129 thread…’ is closed to new replies.