Another 'Which new phone?' thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Another 'Which new phone?' thread
  • ross980

Yet another what new phone post. My Xperia Z3 Compact emerged from my pocket last night with a broken screen/digitizer to accompany the broken back panel, self-ejecting MicroSD slot, broken charge port cover, failing battery and slowing performance. I can’t even unlock it as the screen only works to half way, so I either spend money on it and turn it into the phone equivalent of Trigger’s broom or just recycle it. I was going to replace it early next year anyway. So…
    Any recommendations? Criteria are:
    5-5.5″ screen
    Quicker than Z3 Compact and >2gb RAM
    32gb internal storage + SD card slot (or 64gb without)
    Unlocked (I’m currently SIMO on EE)
    Plastic or metal back (not glass!)
    Ideally <£200

ZTE Axon Elite almost to fit the bill, but is a horrible colour (though I’d probably get a cover) and the UI gets mixed reviews. I’m a big fan of the basic Android experience that I had on my previous Moto G, but the higher spec Moto phones seems out of price range (and out of stock).
    Other options are cheaper imported Chinese phones (Lenovo ZUK Z2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4) but I’m put off by potential need to root, glacial delivery/hidden customs duty.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

From my own experience of a replacement z3c screen I seriously wouldn’t bother. They probably vary in quality but the one on mine was awful and had to be returned as the colours were so washed out and the screen would get really hot. I now have a Oneplus Two and it’s better in every way than the z3 (apart from the non waterprooferyness).

ross980

From my own experience of a replacement z3c screen I seriously wouldn’t bother. They probably vary in quality but the one on mine was awful and had to be returned as the colours were so washed out and the screen would get really hot. I now have a Oneplus Two and it’s better in every way than the z3 (apart from the non waterprooferyness).

Yeah, I’ve discounted trying to mend it. The battery is crap and it runs slowly now. There’s only £40 difference between fully working and faulty on the tradein value on Mazuma/O2 etc. It’ll cost far more than that to mend DIY with non-OEM parts (not including the faff). Will look at the Oneplus

rocco

In true STW fashion I’ll recommend what I have, Huawei P9 lite. Has 3gb ram, only 16gb but is SD card compatible and 5.2″ screen.

Got mine for £149.99 on black Friday but they have it at for £205 on carphone warehouse so should be able to pick it up cheaper

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/huawei/p9-lite.html#!colour=black&capacity=16GB&dealType=pg

anus

OnePLus get all the reviews!

Wileyfox?

H

Premier Icon aracer

What’s with the needing something faster? Where do you get performance problems? Still don’t have any performance issues with a Z1c here.

ross980

What’s with the needing something faster? Where do you get performance problems? Still don’t have any performance issues with a Z1c here.

It’s just slow. Slow to switch between apps, slow to bring up the keyboard, some buffering when typing etc. It could be a memory issue; the internal memory is (was) constantly @>95% full despite having as much as possible on the 64gb SD card (hence wanting 32gb internal).

Premier Icon Stainypants
    Subscriber

I think once you’ve smashed the screen you on a hinding to nothing. my wife and I broke ours had them replaced and they were broke again in 3 months. I replaced them with 16gb Moto G 3rd gens for about 150 quid. There a bit thicker than a high end phone but not too big 5 inch screen and waterproof. Battery life seems good too. Only thing I miss is NFC as id just started using Android pay.

Premier Icon aracer

wrote:

It’s just slow. Slow to switch between apps, slow to bring up the keyboard, some buffering when typing etc. It could be a memory issue;

Could be – I don’t have those sort of issues here. What is your memory full of (because I have a load of junk on mine with 16GB internal and a 32GB card)?

Premier Icon cheshirecat
    Subscriber

In the spirit of recommending what you have, a Motorola G4 (though I did research this, so it counts).

16GB storage, but you can configure a (fast) micro SD card as internal memory. Got a 64GB card in there, so currently have 70GB available after all the Android gubbins. Think it will take up to a 128GB card.

Only irritation is that it’s fairly big (5.5″) and no NFC, so no Android pay.

Premier Icon honeybadgerx
    Subscriber

I just got a nexus 5x which can be picked up relatively cheap now a new model is out. Had a nexus 4 before which I loved, this just seems to improve on everything a bit. Plus I do like getting a phone without all the manufacturer’s crap on it.

sbob

cheshirecat – Member

Only irritation is that it’s fairly big (5.5″) and no NFC, so no Android pay.

Slide your contactless card between your phone and case and no-one will ever know. 😉

ross980

Thinking about it, I use the thing all the time, so am flexible on the budget. Now is probably a bad time to buy though, I can’t see any obvious bargains. This is the no man’s land between Black Friday and the post-Christmas sales.

Could be – I don’t have those sort of issues here. What is your memory full of (because I have a load of junk on mine with 16GB internal and a 32GB card)?

Unfortunately I can’t remember and now I can’t check. But anything that could go on an SD card was transferred. It stopped me downloading apps a few times because there wasn’t space (even though they could be transferred afterwards). Also, every time an app updated it appeared back on the phone (rather than the card), which is just annoying.

Premier Icon Stainypants
    Subscriber

With marshmallow you stick the card in and you configure it so its part of the memory I’ve got a 64gb card in mine so you end up with effectively 80gb internal memory. It’s not like in the older versions if Android

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Same as Rocco here, paid £139 a few weeks ago.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

I can’t recommend Wileyfox. My Swift has gone really slow after 7-8 months. I might try a Moto g4 next.

Happy with my Sony Z5.

Would have been happier not to have dropped my Z3 on a rock and smashed it’s screen though.

Interested for future ref

davidr

If it’s any help I’ve just moved from a Nexus 5X to a Oneplus 3T. The screen resolution on the 3T isn’t brilliant but the screen is great and it’s very very fast. And 128GB memory for £440!

ross980

If it’s any help I’ve just moved from a Nexus 5X to a Oneplus 3T. The screen resolution on the 3T isn’t brilliant but the screen is great and it’s very very fast. And 128GB memory for £440!

Isn’t Oneplus 3T O2 only? Ideally want to spend <£300

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Another 'Which new phone?' thread’ is closed to new replies.