Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another which MTB bike post
  • faz882
    Free Member

Hello all,

I hope you’re all well and keeping safe in the current situation.

Apologies, for yet another which bike post, I have done a lot of searching and reading, I used to bike alot about 20 odd years ago and thought i’d revisit as as way to get my fitness levels up and have a bit of fun, didn’t account for everyone else buying bikes and or a global pandemic!

There are so many new manufacturers and terms that I never came across before.

Looking for a decent trail bike that would also be reasonably comfortable for longer rides, nothing too crazy to begin with, but there are a number of trails around here that I would like to explore with time.

I am 5’6 and have a inseam of approx 29/30 inches, weigh about 60kg.

I have whittled it down to the following:
    Voodoo Bizango 29er (16) non carbon / small
    (https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mens-mountain-bike—16in-18in-20in-22in-frames-448053.html)
    Vitus Sentier 27 VR
    (http://vitusbikes.com/products/vitus-sentier-27-vr-trail-hardtail-mountain-bike/)
    Ribble HT 725 / small
    (https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ht-725-sx-eagle/)

(As you can see there has been some man maths going on)

A few questions / areas I would appreciate your input:

HT vs FS – HT seems the way to go at this price point, though the Bossnut is also within this potential budget? Is it worth stretching to get that one bike to do it all?
    27.5 vs 29 – with my height I have a preference for a 27.5, though the Bizango only comes in a 29er?
    Frame size – my height has me in a small in most frames, though I am in between for the Vitus Sentier (and some other brands), any thoughts or tips?
    The Ribble HT – has an aggressive geometry (I think), would that make it uncomfortable for longer rides, with dropper its also the most expensive?
    I plan to fit a dropper (if not already present), any recommendations?
    Any other bikes you would add into the mix?

As for the stock challenge – I have actually managed to find a Voodoo Bizango 29er 16 in my size, though I am yet to pick it up, appreciate they are nigh on impossible to find right now, but I don’t mind waiting for the right bike, even if its a couple of months.

Thanks – Faz

danti

I’d add a Sonder Transmitter to your list, with plus tyres it would be pretty comfortable.
    And maybe an On One Scandal if you don’t mind waiting for stock.

Brand X droppers are pretty cheap and reliable.

faz882
    Free Member

Thanks Danti – will check out the Sonder and Dropper

Had never heard of On One – good reputation?

What would you buy?

CheesybeanZ

Pre loved T130 medium, you can thank me later .

danti

On One / Planet X customer service can be a bit hit and miss, I’ve never had any issues in almost 20 years of buying everything from bikes/frames gear.
    There’s a long thread on the forum on the Scandal.
    I’d buy one if I needed a decent priced trail 29er.

Again plenty of reviews on Brand X Ascend dropper, got one myself and had for 2.5 yrs with no issues.

faz882
    Free Member

Cheers Danti – will check out the Scandal thread 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Had never heard of On One – good reputation?

In the old days you could’ve done a search on the forum and seen they are huge on here! These days the search will reward you with results about curtains, Donald Trump and the last Iron Maiden tour.
    So here’s a link (or 3) 🙂

PSA Cheap scandal frames

The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

New On-One Scandal build… a few questions

ps. A “MTB bike” means a mountain bike bike 😀

faz882
    Free Member

Thanks Dez 🙂 I forgot to edit the title…doh

Agree re the search! So many posts…also the results look recent, till you click on them and realise the original post was from 5 years previous!

danti

If you are thinking of a Scandal then Planet X are having a live sale on Facebook tomorrow from 2pm where they’re clearing some overstocks and customer returns which may have some blemishes etc.
    The photo looked like there may be some Scandal frames.
    Obviously only valid if you’re able to build a bike up or know someone who’d do it for you.

faz882
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip @danti but I think that might be a step too far for me, unless you’re based in Berks and volunteering? 😉

roach

Unless your quite handy with tools then go to a shop for the support.

steamtb

I’ve had the slightly older version of the Bizango, the older calibre BBB (which was superb) and then moved on to the Sentry. The new Bossnut is where my money would go, I just think it will be a brilliant all round bike and won’t leave you wanting for much in the future. Dropper post, tubeless and away you go! 🙂

Edit to add, if you can get it on a cycle to work scheme then it’s even cheaper!

faz882
    Free Member

@roach – my thoughts too, dont want to be the one wiping out because I didn’t tighten something properly.

@steamtb
    – all the reading I have done, says HT first and then FS, especially as I might do a bit of day to day riding on it, non trail. But I guess a lockout switch could remedy that?

I ideally want to goto a local shop, pick there brains and try out a few bikes to see what feels right, not much chance of that for a little while 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another which MTB bike post’ is closed to new replies.