Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Another ‘What Wheels” Thread!
  • dirkpitt74

So I have a budget of around £350 for a new set of wheels for the Mega.
    Currently have the Nukeproof Neutron wheelset fitted (Basically WTB i29 rims and Novatec hubs), which haven’t been too bad.

Been looking at Hunt Trail Wide and Hope Fortus 30 Pro4 – both the same price.
    Staggered that the Hope wheelset comes out around 0.5kgs heavier than the Hunts though (2.3kg v 1.8kg).

Anything else I should be considering around that price?

Non-boost 142×12 and 100×15 hubs and ideally around 30mm internal width.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re buying non-boost, there will be loads of bargains on used wheelsets.

You should get something nice like custom Hope Pro4 hubs with DT rims or a DT factory wheelset well under your budget.

joebristol

Hope rims are heavy which is probably most of the weight difference – especially the Fortus wide ones.

I’d go custom with either Hope Pro4 or D T Swiss 350 hubs and DT Swiss rims. If you’re heavy on rims (and want a 30mm inner width) then ex511. If your less brutal on them then XM481’s (which are still strong, just not as much as the EX rims). Make sure you use double butted spokes – the DT rims listed above will come with the required phr washers and Squorx nipples.

russyh
    Free Member

I have just bought a pair of hunt trail wides for my winter hardtail.  I’m bloody impressed to be honest, not ridden yet but the service from Hunt was exceptional, they wheels look really nicely made.  Proof will be in the riding I guess.  Last pair of Hope wheels I had were 35w, but also had tech Enduro. Hubs were always let down by the rims, which were always heavy and dented easily.  I think Hope really missed a trick with their new range.  The weights seem extremely high, but maybe that translates to reliability and strength…just my experience with the previous iteration suggest not

davewalsh
    Free Member

Ok, I’m going to go against Forum general opinion here but I have hunt trail wides on one bike and hope pro 4 / DT XM481 on the other. On paper they’re similar weights but I think hunt have achieved this by paring down the hub and spokes as much as possible to compensate for excess weight in the rim. Also the hunt hubs, although well sealed are noticeably more draggy than the hopes. Personally I wish I’d have spent a bit more and got a second set of the hope/DT wheels for the other bike as when ridden back to back, they just feel nicer.

transition1
    Free Member

I would go hope or DT Swiss hubs on Stans Flow or DT Swiss rims or even Spank 350 rims, I picked up some Ibis 738 rims that build into very nice wheels. Stans rims are fine the ones that crack on spoke holes generally factory built & OVER tensioned

Tracey

I have a new pair of 27.5 non boost DT Swiss EX 511 on DT Swiss 350 hubs hand built by 18 Bikes fitted with new Maxxis tyres that are surplus to requirements for sale.
    Also got some little used Roval Traverse Carbons

PM if you are interested

hatter

I’d just go with DT 1900’s, cheaper than the Hunts and the Hopes and lighter than either or then too.

Bikeradar just put out a load of wheel reviews and rated the DT’s above either of them.

martymac

I have hope tech enduros on my surly, i weigh 19st and use the bike for bikepacking.
    The wheels are excellent.
    I also have DT 1900s on my fs Ebike, they have been excellent too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d just go with DT 1900’s, cheaper than the Hunts and the Hopes and lighter than either or then too.

Bikeradar just put out a load of wheel reviews and rated the DT’s above either of them.

They’re alright, yeah – I’ve ridden a set and would rate them fairly good but a definite notch below the Hope/ex471 wheelset I replaced them with.

I’d definitely contact Tracey above first if I were you OP.

joebristol

DT Swiss e1900’s are a solid reliable wheelset but they’re not as good as a Hope Pro4/xm481 build. I replaced my e1900’s with that Hope / DT rim combo.

argee

For 350 i wouldn’t be looking at 1900s, at a minimum i’d be after 1700s as at least they have the 350 hubs, rim wise, 30mm internal pushes me towards a XM481, best rim for weight/strength in that size.

It’s a shame the EX1501s in the classifieds are boost, as they are pretty much the best wheels out there in the price range with 240 hubs and 511ish rims.

strangey13
    Free Member

I’ve a set of Pro 4/ Stans Flow 3 with Minnons fitted in the classifieds if their of any interest.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all – a couple of other options to consider thanks to the above posts.

dhrider
    Free Member

Bike Radar weighed the Hunts at 2186g, I think someone at Hunts scales are broken to get 1.8kg!!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bike Radar weighed the Hunts at 2186g

Isn’t that the enduro wide rather than trail wide Hunt wheels?

dirkpitt74

Think that was the 29’er Enduro Wide wheels.
    A mate has the 29’er Trail Wide and they came out close to the claimed weight.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but on another wheel thread someone mentioned that hunt use novatec hubs, if that’s the case that what the op already has/had. I’d definitely go Hope Pro 4

sillyoldman

DT or Hope hubs with DT rims.

metalheart
    Free Member

I recently was looking for a set of wheels. I <cough> need </cough> a set for a Camino trip next year. On the full sus I have a set of enduro hope hoops but they’re, what 23mm wide? Perfect for a Camino trip (not so much for the FlareMAX…).

I have a set of pro4’s with XM481 rims on the hardtail which have withstood my bulk for a couple of years so far so decided to order another pair. So whatever, XM481’s for me. hand built wheels cost more (than the 350£ budget) but personally I’d rather get it right from the off…

dirkpitt74

Well a bit of a thread resurrection…..

Just broke my new year “must save money and not buy bike parts” resolution….

30 minutes into the New Year and aimlessly looking on the Hunt site at the discounted wheels and a set of refurbished/discounted 27.5 Trail Wide non-boost popped up….. Ooops.

tdog
    Free Member

Deffo Spank as they’re exceptional design, build quality for any factory wheel set I have had

They are tough too for us mortal heavy weights which is an added bonus obviously

They can be had at sensible prices at times
    Only thing is that my CKs laugh all over them for pickup rate

That is the only SLIGHT downfall in Spank wheel sets are the pickup of rear engagement
    Does it matter that much to warrant concern- heck no they are lovely wheels

Seriously nice in fact!

Frankers
    Free Member

After owning several types of wheels over the years including CK hubbed, I now much prefer DT Swiss for their lightweight and easy to service hubs.

tdog
    Free Member

Yes true re: dt swiss
    I was very pleased with their carbon rimmed aerobladed spokes on 240s and had a 240s set on another bike once

Truly light & a delight to ride

mariner
    Free Member

DT Swiss you wont regret it.
    Lots of reduced price wheelsets here or in Germany.
    Search EX511 wheelsets.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Another bump of this thread as I’m now in exactly the same boat as the OP. Need some 27.5 non-boost wheels for my Orange Alpine 160 and the Hopes are up there since its what I’ve run since forever (but my current set are pretty fubar’d and I plan to keep them as a backup set) but the Hunts seem to get top reviews in all the magazines. Whats the consensus? Reading the above, a custom set on Hopes again might be the best option for £350>£400???

Are any of the Mavic pre-built wheels like Crossmaxes any good?

Tracey

I never got round to selling the new DT Swiss ones in my post above. £350 if you are interested

ajantom

I’ve got a set of Stan’s Flow Mk3 wheels on my Stooge.

100/142 axle width, 30mm internal width, pretty light, nice fast pickup (they now come with the up graded freewheel – faster pickup and better durability).

Got them from Rutland Cycles about 4 weeks ago for £225 (reduced to £250 + found a 10% off coupon).
    Not sure if they still have any though.

The other option I nearly went for was some spank wheels on Chain reaction that were a good price.

dirkpitt74

Only had a couple of hours on the Hunts.
    Spin up noticeably quicker than the Nukeproof’s.
    Also weighed them before I fitted them and they are bang on the claimed weight.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Another ‘What Wheels” Thread!’ is closed to new replies.