Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another 'what lock for leaving my bike outside at work' thread.
  • ads678

So i’ve just started a new job, and the only place to leave my bike is outside, in my last job i took it into the office with me so I didn’t need any bike security. I do have a decent D lock but, should I just buy another and use one to lock the rear wheel and frame and the other to lock the front wheel and forks? Or is there anything else anyone recommends?

Is there any alarms for bikes out there? I’m thinking a kind of cable lock that sounds an alarm if it’s broken. I know cable locks are rubbish but thinking that an alarm going off might surprise any would be theif and they might bugger off without my bike!!

tomhoward

Landmines.

kimbers

dlock on the front wheel and I have the chunkiest motorbike chain lock I could find, weighs a ton but it stays at the work bike rack so its fine

10 years locked up over london and not lost a bike yet (cheaper cable lock did get cut thru once but the chain was untouched)

nwgiles

get someone to airbrush the rust on make it look tatty and use the cheapest lock ever,

camouflage its the only way

ads678

Kimbers – Yeah was thinking a bigass chain might be the way to go. Do you use the D lock to lock the chain do you use a padlock?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 different locks.

A small bottle jack with break a d-lock, a pair of cuters will get through a cable or cheep chain (expensive chain will require power tools). So by using 2 different locks you’re limiting the risk to scroats who are prepared to carry a lot of kit which would be difficult to explain away if stopped and their collar felt.

That and don’t commute on a desireable bike.

ads678

That and don’t commute on a desireable bike

It’s an Inbred 29er, so thats a matter of opinion any way!! 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

t’s an Inbred 29er

Just lean it up against the wall then….it’ll be fine.

kimbers

i use one of these

and the other lock just for securing the wheel to the frame

hora
    Free Member

Never ever leave your bike out of sight if you’d miss it

kimbers

ignoring horas usual- i never leave my bikes unattended even to have a dump comments 😉 –

heres a good vid

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ArSWkXW4kc[/video]

tomhoward

Never ever leave your bike out of sight if you’d miss it

Awkward if you’re on the job?

steviecapt
    Free Member

not exactly a big shock that video, any disc cutter with a good disc, will cut through any lock,its just a matter how long, ive seen places where they have just cut through the railings instead, alot easier

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Is that beast chain worth getting? I need a chain for my ground anchor and budget is minimal.

£35 seems pretty good if it’s not a bad lock.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

quicker to just cut through the nice soft Alu frame now, then flog all the expensive components and junk the frame.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Really depends what the outside lock up location is like. Somewhere on a secure site out of the way from the public who’d need passes to get in, in sight of staff regularly passing by, CCTV etc. You might be able to trust the site security and just go with enough locks to make it more difficult. Or if it’s on the street in public or easy public access, just forget it and get a £50 hack bike for the commute.

It’s this easy to nick your bike even with fancy locks

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Gone-in-60-secs-theft-video-2012.html

If you’re happy to do it, just ensure you have good insurance and don’t mind if it gets nicked.

myti
    Free Member

I use a massive Almax chain…mega heavy but if you’re leaving it there..

[/url]

ads678

I’m currently looking into bike bags, think might just whip the wheels off stick it in a bag and put it under my desk. Then like Hora I can take it to the loo with me as well. 😀

hora
    Free Member

I own a GroundEffects bodybag- awesome thing.

Or keep a proper bike bag in the office.

Sorry I wouldn’t trust a bike lock on £100 of my money.

Thieves will take a wheel/seatpost or simply cut through frame/anything if its a decent bike.

Funnily if I pop into the shop (in view and unlocked) I’ll remove both skewers. It’d damage my bike but hurt th thief within 10m’s..

rentachimp
    Free Member

I do similar to hora: put gears up to biggest rings, then click down to smallest rings without pedalling, then release the qr lever. Should give plenty of clatter to shame the bastard, and he might hurt himself enough that you can apprehend.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Funnily if I pop into the shop (in view and unlocked) I’ll remove both skewers. It’d damage my bike but hurt th thief within 10m’s..

You Sir, are a complete loon.

bellefied
    Free Member

as others have said the d lock through the front wheel and frame (against the bike stand / railings) and the beast using a different lock doing the same for the frame and the other wheel should provide enough deterrent. Leave the beast permanently attached to the railings so you don’t have to cart it around with you.

Unless your’s is a professional bike, this should deter most bike thieves.

CCTV doesn’t seem to be a deterrent, and they are not always effective in finding the hooded perp who took the bike

AlexSimon

I bought this version of the onguard one, because I really liked the idea of the loop. It means the lock goes a lot further. The lock can form another loop.

Main thing is to keep it off the ground and I always put it somewhere on view.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Onguard-Mastiff-130cmx10cm-Cynch-Loop-Chain-Padlock-Key-Bike-Lock-Lk8019lp-/130869330098?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1e786b80b2

Downside is it’s massive and heavy!

spookynips
    Free Member

abus granit 54

cr500dom
    Free Member

Almax

cr500dom
    Free Member

I would be wary of leaving something nice chained up in the same place every day, especially if you leave the lock there.
    One day you will come in and you wont be able to use your lock, it`ll be there but you wont be able to unlock it.
    you will lock it up with the “shop” lock and it`ll be gone when you come out

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another 'what lock for leaving my bike outside at work' thread.’ is closed to new replies.