Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another what car post
  • simonb512
    Free Member

Don’t tend to post much here, but I’m here often enough to notice there’s a lot of ‘what car’ threads recently. I’m struggling in choosing my next car, so thought ‘why not’.

34, and passed my test a few months ago. I’m on one of those 10month insurance policies that gives you 1years no claims at the end, and thats nearing completion. So looking to replace my cr*ppy 2004 Fiesta 1.6.

I didn’t see the point in getting anything decent as a first car just in case, but it has held up well. I just want something nicer and more suited to what I’m driving.

I’m apparently doing what would work out to just over 16K miles per year, 90% of which is either motorway or 60mph A roads. Most of that is my 50mile round trip commute.

But I almost must consider that parking at home is dreadful, as I’m at the bottom of a Cul-de-sac where most houses can’t have a driveway due to a green immediately outside our house. I.e. only footpath access to houses. Theres a massive oak in the middle of the green with a TPO, so that won’t be resolved anytime soon.

Must also be mindful that the wife and I are currently working towards expanding our family, so it must be able to cater for a baby eventually.

So ultimately I am after something fairly small, 5door, that can suck up the miles happily, and preferably something with a bit more ‘uumph’ than my 98bhp Fiesta.  All this for sub £10k.

I have been looking at the likes of a Focus or Octavia. But I don’t know what I’m looking for, I’ve only been driving a few months. I will add I’ve been motorbike only for years now (have my IAM roadsmart too), so I do have some road-sense. Honest.

matt_outandabout

looking to replace my cr*ppy 2004 Fiesta 1.6.

Why? Does it still run OK?

If it is still running, save the equivalent loan cost each month. Then when it dies or bubba is on way, go and get a car then.

They are depreciating money pits – run the car you need today, not the one you might need tomorrow.

simonb512
    Free Member

Why? Does it still run OK?

Mainly because it’s getting to the point where the cost of fixing it is more than the cars value. By the end of the year it’ll be akin to Triggers broom, Though the engine itself is ‘mostly’ faultless.

Also its loud, rattly, uncomfortable for more than 100miles at a time, and provides only 37-38mpg (42 if purely motorway).

perchypanther
    Free Member

You must either buy an Audi RS6 Avant quattro or delete your STW account immediately.

We’ll have no imposters here. 😉

matt_outandabout

MPG – don’t get too suckered into thinking you will save money on that.

Maintenance – disregard tyres, brakes etc that are wear and tear.

Work out you may spend £10k to save £1k maintenance…and still pay £500 maintenance on that new car.

If you can push on for one extra year, you end up with a deposit down on new car and ‘ahead’ in the loan vs car stakes.

We are now at a place where loan = 1/3 of what the two cars are worth, and paying that loan off at a rate that *hopefully* will see us buying next few cars with cash not loans – and constantly in positive equity.

simonb512
    Free Member

I’m not expecting a more recent car to require zero maintenance, and I’m well aware that they can be moneypits.

Surely it would be a better option to buy a more recent car now instead of when a baby arrives, as baby would have a much higher cost than the car for far longer time-frame. I.e. my financial position is far better now, than it would be when a child arrives.

The 10k budget is not necessarily down to ‘monthly payments’ but I know I can clear that by the time a baby would arrive if I really needed to.

That being said there’s not really anything wrong with wanting a nicer car for the sake of it.

matt_outandabout

That being said there’s not really anything wrong with wanting a nicer car for the sake of it

Very true.

I am ‘guilty’ of wanting to change cars before ‘needed’, that is all. Last few years we have stretched out car changing until we really have wrung every last mile out the cars, and financially it is vaguely getting better.

angeldust
    Free Member

Have you thought about a Skoda?  Or, even better, a Berlingo?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I hate spending loads of money on a nice car and then wrecking it by just driving to and from work..I wish I’d bought something older then got a nice car for the weekend.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Keep running the current one for a while, build up the ncb and experience in it, when your partner falls pregnant look for a suitable lease car for three years with a total spend around your £10k figure.

this gets you a brand new car when you need it to keep baby safe and mother happy.

lets you save some more money in the meantime

‘gives you fully guaranteed hassle free motoring for three years while focusing on parenthood

stumpy01

Smallest car I would get as a potential parent would be Focus/Astra sized.

When we were expecting, we both had small cars; a 12 plate Ibiza & an 03 plate Ibiza. We were convinced that we wouldn’t have to replace one with something a bit bigger. That lasted about 2 weeks after our daughter was born, upon which we went & bought something a bit larger.  We got rid of my 03 Ibiza; it was on 274k miles & starting to regularly need things doing to it.

We got a 59 plate Citroen C3 Picasso for £5000 and while I am not sure I would recommend one (we’ve had quite a few issues with it & the dealer we bought it from – Richard Sanders – were completely useless), it is a practical car for a small family. It’s smaller than something like a Focus, but with tons of room because the seating is quite upright – the boot just seems to swallow luggage.

Something like a Fabia estate might be worth a look, somewhat contradicting my first sentence!

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’ve always been in the run a cheapish car camp, but I really hate the idea of running a car into the ground and then replacing it once it’s broken. The last thing I want is for my car to die on me whilst driving, or for it to fail to start when a long way from home.

If you have doubts about your current car and you can afford a better one, I’d be tempted to replace it. If your current car is reliable and never caused you any issues, then I’d probably keep it for a bit longer.

Cougar

look for a suitable lease car for three years

I was going to suggest a lease car until I read “baby.”  I’ve seen the interiors of cars owned by new parents.  A back seat encrusted with three years’ worth of various baked-in fluids will probably affect the return value somewhat.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another what car post’ is closed to new replies.