• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • another what bike thread – this time its winter road bikes…
  • freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve been going round in circles and just can’t decide…

I have a nice Hardtail MTB, a 2014 Giant Defy 1 road bike and a Boardman Hybrid.
    90% of my riding is on the road, I do a bit of MTB, and a little bit of pootling with the kids.
    I love the Defy, and have pimped it up with some Hope/H Plus Son wheels.

I’ve fallen out of love with the Hybrid – it is jack of all trades, but ultimately I don’t really have a use for it, mostly because I’ve really taken to riding drop bars over the last 18 months since I bought the Defy.

So, I want to replace it with a disc braked, drop-barred bike, with a 105 groupset, for under £1k (C2W friendly – this is important as C2W is good for me)
    It has to be able to take proper bolt-on mudguards.

I’ve looked at ‘Gravel bikes’ and CX bikes, but don’t have any real interest in long off-road marathons, and don’t really think i’ll actually use it off road other than the odd bit of dodgy sustrans routing/short bit of tow-path.

I’ve looked at CX bikes, but don’t need a frame I can shoulder, MTB chain-sets or chunky tyres.

I’ve looked at Planet X, Ribble, and Dolan, but not loving anything they’ve got to offer.

…and then yesterday I had a good look at the new 2016 Giant Defy disc..
    £1k, all the fittings for proper bolt-on mudguards, full 105, and will ride just like my ‘summer’ Defy..

Am I mad to buy another version of what I already have? – albeit 2 years newer with discs, etc…

I’ll probably keep this new bike a while, with either the ‘summer road bike’ or the MTB next in-line for an upgrade in 2/3 years.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘another what bike thread – this time its winter road bikes…’ is closed to new replies.