Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Another Van Thread. Help me choose a van
  • alexpalacefan

So the trusty old Focus is on it’s last legs, and I think I have persuaded the wife that the replacement should be a van 🙂

So I’m looking for:
    Small(ish), around Dispatch/Expert/Scudo size. Wife has to use it as a daily driver
    3 seater.
    As car-like as possible
    Not to expensive, maybe £3-4k

We’ll be using it as day-to-day transport, for bike hauling and for camping trips, we plan to sleep in the back. We’re both short-arses so it doesn’t need to be huge. I’ll be doing some basic conversion, but that’s a whole other thread!

I was looking at the the above models, but found some truly terrible user reviews, so is there anything else? What do you guys recommend, and why?

Cheers

APF

muzz
    Free Member

Do not buy a van, you will get sick of it and have usually been hammered. They are cold soulless places.

get a berlingo multispace….1.9 d old engine if you want agricultural performance but bombproof, 2.0 hdi if youwant pazazz. do NOT get a 1.6hdi.

You could get a decent one for 1.5k and buy a dream bike for you or a dream holiday for both with the change and live happily ever after.

rickon
    Free Member

Do not buy a van, you will get sick of it and have usually been hammered. They are cold soulless places

Eh?!

I’ve had 5 vans, they’re awesome. Why buy a van converted to a car, when what you want is a van?

You’d be endlessly looking around wondering why you have 3 seats instead of space.

Have a look at those you’ve listed, and also check out the Transit Connect, I’ve had quite a few different vans and the Connect was a brilliant mid sized van. The LWB is the one to get, its just that little bit bigger than small vans, but drives more like a car.

If youre really after car like performance, then you’ll need either high milers or more budget. The VW Caddy, then the Peugeot Partner\Citroen Berlingo in the 2.0 hdi flavour are your best bet, they’re dead nippy and great fin to drive.

Plus… Get it ECU remapped, it’ll boost the performance no end, and actually increase mpg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate the benefit of being able to stand up in the back when it’s crap. I used to spend a lot of time at work moving kit in a van and the low roofs did my back no favours.

Would suggest thinking of the conversion and what you want from it before deciding on the van. I marked out the space in the back of a few on the living room floor to see what it really would fit.

Also vans are so much easier to drive than cars 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Also, don’t even bother looking at user reviews of vehicles,vans or cars. Only people with bad experiences write vehicle reviews, so you’re never going to see a host of good reviews.

Connects, Berlingos and Partners are great bomb proof vehicles.

Look for decent mileage, and an ex-plumber \ sparky \ gas man, would be a good NWT, as its more akin to a personal vehicle. Avoid builders vans.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could get a decent one for 1.5k and buy a dream bike for you or a dream holiday for both with the change and live happily ever after.

Hell here is my money already…..

Another question really, when your sleeping in it where are you putting all the stuff?
    From some experience if there are 2 of you a decent width bed makes a big difference. After a long day on the bike the little bit extra room makes it a much more pleasant experience.
    Air beds are crap.
    If the bed is on the floor there is a lot of wasted space above you, however make it too high and you will smack your head all the time.

and just in case it crossed your mind a van with a bike rack is a double face palm.

alexpalacefan

OK, so:

I need to have 3 seats, so that puts the Transit connect out, and also the NV200, which looks ace.

For camping the plan is to build a removable timber sleeping platform with a futon mattress , kit can live underneath.

So the Dispatch et c. Muzz is this the same 1.6HDi engine that you don’t rate in the Berlingo? Not to be trusted eh?

Any experience out there of a Dispatch/Expert/Scudo? I guess for my money (I could maybe go to £5k) I’m looking at a pretty old and tired model. Am I just buying into a heap of trouble with that?

Thanks again

Alex

muzz
    Free Member

Rikon, the back seats in the multi space fold down and over turning it into a van. I am in the trade and drive every van from 13 plate transporters to 53 plate petrol ducato, I’ll have a car any day unless you have wee man syndrome and like to feel big lol

muzz
    Free Member

Dispatches/experts/scudos are too big, every handle falls off and they are usually smelly

transit connects are big money to buy, flywheels rattle and are usually smelly

Get a french engined 1.9D (old non turbo) or 2.0HDI (made untill 2005) do not get anything newer that contains the 1.6 hdi

and get a multi space not a van

muzz
    Free Member

Oh, you want to sleep in the back? Didnt see. Spend 1.5 on a multi space and 1.5 k on b and bs

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll have a car any day unless you have wee man syndrome and like to feel big lol

No need to start waving your cock about….

Having done a good 100k in my last van I can’t say I was sick of it.

If your using it to carry bikes in the back I’d take the van every time
    If you want to get in the back and get changed I’d take the van every time
    If you want to sleep in it I’d insulate the van and appreciate the fact it’s not full of windows

I had a crappy old 51plate transit Med Roof LWB. It was easy to drive, comfortable and a good place to be. Wish I still had it.

You seem to be liking to tall estate cars there not vans? Can’t imagine sleeping inside one very easily let alone with bikes in!

wrightyson
    Free Member

To stand up you’ll need a high top of any variety and that alone removes its car like qualities straight away as the next time you go into a multi storey car park… Bang!

tthew

Pug expert owner here. Mine was just over your budget, 07 plate with less than 60k miles, but bought privately so no VAT on top of the advertised price. You have to take that into account if buying from a dealer.

About the 3 seats, the 3rd is really only suitable for really short trips due to the gear stick position.

For advice on the 1.6 engine, there are threads about how to care for them here. Search for user chrisdiesel. Mine is a 1.6 and it OK power wise, which I was a little concerned about at first but it has decent torque which is a bonus. It is the same engine as the smaller Ford tdci’s so you might not avoid it if you went to the Connect.

rob81
    Free Member

I believe the 1.6 HDi in the dispatch or expert has a bigger sump that reduces the liklihood of the turbo failure normally associated with this engine

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

interesting thread. im also in the market.

hadnt considered a multispace before, but im tempted now – but id really like to see a picture of one with some bikes in it…???

gringojimi
    Free Member

I find my Renault Trafic a lovely place to be. Ok, friends think I look like a pikey in it but it’s a great on long journeys, pleasant to drive and I can still chuck bikes and a bed in the back.

Before the Trafic I had a Fiat Doblo, and although it was a great bike hauler, there wasn’t enough room to sleep in the back.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@alex, nothing is as car like as a car ! That
    Being said why don’t you rent a few vans of size you are thinking of and see how you like them. You could take some fun trips to try out riding/camping. There is a danger mrs @alex will change her mind but it’s probably better to know that upfront. FYI we had a Rav4 circa 2000 model for many years. The rear seats where removal able so it could ban like when you wanted or a family 5 seater.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Scudo owner here. Picked up the 120bhp variant this time last year with 100K on the clock. Has given me no cause for concern during ownership, though things do wear out (just been hit for a bill for a wheel bearing, front pads and front ARB). Just make sure the timing belt has been changed at the correct interval; mind hadn’t, but that allowed me to play hardball on the price.

Easy to drive, not too big to park and enough power for me thanks. Manage about 650 miles from a tankful (though that is predominantly short, local journeys).

Recommended.

Del

i run an expert – 56 plate, 2.0 HDI. 57k miles ( i think ). It’s not pretty, there is noise from the side doors at 70mph and above, but it’s comfy, and goes well. great for bike stuff and i’ve insulated it and use it as an occasional camper. the side doors are strapped together to reduce wind noise as i do do distance in it from time to time, but the straps are an easy on/off, so i can restore full function very easily.
    the stereo needs upgrading and it has no fripperies. no electric windows or anything. perfect. 🙂
    i’ve done 5 hour drives without stopping and been comfy, if tired, come the end. vans give good visibility, particularly noticeable on the motorway in the wet, and so long as you’re not in too much of a hurry mine’s not too thirsty.
    quicker than the base model leon it replaced, and cheaper to insure ( direct line ).
    touch wood nothing has fallen off or broken.
    i sometimes think about moving it on to get something bigger, like a traffic or something, but this one seems so good i haven’t bothered yet, and i’ve had it 3, maybe even 4 years now.
    wet dogs go in the back, shitty bikes go in and get strapped to the side with 1 bungy, and being able to just shut the door on shitty weather when you’re camping is awesome.
    i sometimes get the urge to buy something big and german, usually at about 3 hours in heavy traffic on a motorway somewhere, but then i equally get urges to buy an elise on a sunny day…
    😀

Del

oh – center seats aren’t very comfy, in any van, so if your passenger is full grown they’re not going to be very happy for distance.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Vans are awesome… especially if you are in to any kind of outdoor sport that involves muck & water & lots of kit. I’ve had 4 vans varying from knackered transits to a T5 sportline.

Personally I prefer a bigger van as if gives better options for separating wet/muddy kit from your sleeping area, I have a sealed section in the back of mine for bikes & stuff, just makes things easier/more civilised if you want to do a bit of van camping.

demonracer

I quite like my van for transporting bikes around but my other half hates everything about it especially driving it. I’d go with a Berlingo if I were in your position, it’s also worth noting that you might be more likely to find a campsite that allows you to sleep in one of these than a van.

skellnonch
    Free Member

it’s also worth noting that you might be more likely to find a campsite that allows you to sleep in one of these than a van.

Can’t say that’s been a real issue in 10+ years kitesurfing & mountain biking all over the country…

bazzer
    Free Member

I have a 13 plate Trafic sport that I have had from new and now done 20K miles in.

I love it, its a SWB so not really that much bigger than say a 5 series estate.

Nice to drive all the toys and a 4 year 100,000 mile warranty.

I have a really nice BMW that I hardly drive these days.

I just find it so practical. I use it for lugging two motorbikes to trackdays as well as the push bikes for mountain biking.

Last year I went to the alps with two motorbikes two DH bikes and all the stuff to go camping at a music festival. Its awesome 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s also worth noting that you might be more likely to find a campsite that allows you to sleep in one of these than a van.

Yep the here is the money, where do I sleep routine works well. Bonus is if you get power!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve had an old expert 1.9 non turbo
    Ugly slow but refused to die
    It was comfy to drive and took me all over the country surfing biking and 10 days round Scotland with two of us sleeping in the back. Never had an issue with campsites not letting me in

Decided I wanted a lot more room so got a lh35 master
    It was huge and a bit of a pain day to day.
    Never needed anything until the gearbox failed doh

Oddly the huge Renault used less fuel than the little expert

tthew

I believe the 1.6 HDi in the dispatch or expert has a bigger sump that reduces the liklihood of the turbo failure normally associated with this engine

That makes sense. (it’s also got a 20,000 mile service interval, which I’ll not be trying at that would likely have precisely the opposite effect!!)

goby

Well I got a Peugeot partner escapde 2.0HDI, so like the van but with windows and seats, and its my daily driver. Now on 91K and its on a 03 plate. Find it a great car for the family duties and biking duties done a few trips to wales with mates. Does 45/50mpg and just the job! Much more bike friendly than the focus it replaced. Recommended!

Mattbike

I have a Scudo 2008 2.0 litre hdi 120bhp 6 seater combo/crew 6 speed. I’ve had it for a year. Been to the alps in it up to north wales etc. I have had no issues with it so far apart from some noisy anti roll bar bushes / linkages. It’s on 95K, 85k when I had it. Sound proofing panels and rubber / carpet flooring helps keep noise levels down. Plenty of room allows me to ferry the kids, luggage and put the bike and kit in, great for hols. It is quite fast can over take easily. Parking is ok you get uused to a van end up using mirrors more. You can sleep in it but I find it a little cramped with the seats folded foward, I’m 6ft. Better option is to fold rear seats flat and lay a board over front to back with some sort of wooden fold down legs at the back and sleep on that. Its a great van and I would get another.

VanMan
    Free Member
    VanMan
    Free Member

Or for slightly more money

Just need somewhere for the bikes

tthew

noisy anti roll bar bushes / linkages.

Standard fitment. 😀 I got a kit off t’internet as the OEM ones can’t be dismantled, they need cutting off and replacing otherwise it’s a whole new roll bar.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve only had it a month, but I’m loving my 2nd hand Vivaro. Easy to drive, goes well enough and not expensive to run (assuming I don’t chew though too many gearboxes). Masses of room in the back for muddy bikes and more than long enough for 6’5″ me to lie down (though I’ve not camped in it yet). Perhaps not the vehicle for anyone lusting after a sports car.

I’m planning on camping in it occasionally, treating it more as a solid and waterproof alternative to a tent rather than kitting out as a proper camper – it’s probably too old and knackered to be worth the investment in that. I’m basically thinking of taking an airbed, sleeping bag and portable stove to use it as a moving base for riding trips. Any big cons to that idea?

tthew

Possibly only that steel vehicles can get really cold, and suffer from condensation without a bit of airflow.

If it’s ply-lined, you could always remove that and insulate behind it and under the floor. Depends how often you intend to camp in it, and what times of the year I suppose.

Marin
    Free Member

Captain get a futon built up on wooden legs height done to fit storage boxes underneath. IKEA did sell mattresses that could fold in half. Store half the futon on top of half with legs if that makes sense to you.. Insulate and then line with car carpet. Air beds are rubbish but with bit of effort and you get a comfy bed and warm van.

RustyNissanPrairie

Said it before on here-bought an ex Network rail LWB Transit welfare van, middle section is insulated and lined and is fitted with 3 seats with seatbelts, 1kw 240V inverter, microwave, boiling water urn, hot and cold water sink, Eberspacher hot air heater, loads of lights & storage lockers. Rear is ply lined with internal worklights.

Really wanted a Sprinter but hold their value too well, didn’t like the idea of a Transit. 1 year on and absolutely love it!

Paid £5k for an 07 plate with 76k miles with service history.

Perfect for bikes/day van, going Europe in May for a month with it.

Check on vantrader using the keyword microwave

rickon
    Free Member

Rikon, the back seats in the multi space fold down and over turning it into a van. I am in the trade and drive every van from 13 plate transporters to 53 plate petrol ducato, I’ll have a car any day unless you have wee man syndrome and like to feel big lol

It’s Rickon, thanks.

Anyway…

I have a small sporty petrol car, it’s ace. I have a Mk7 Mid Top Transit, 140ps, which I’ve fully lined, insulated and installed bike holding kit.

I can stand up in the back, just shy of 6 foot. I can sleep it in with 2 dogs, my missus, two bikes and enough kit to drive around the West Coast of Scotland for 2 weeks.

Cars are for driving around town, going to work, going to see people. Vans are for carting around bikes, camping in the back, avoiding the rain, getting changed in, taking the dogs out to places.

If I wanted to compromise – and I have done, I’d have a van.

I’d rather a slightly less spritely drive, than a very mucky car that I can’t get changed in, can’t stand up in, have to remove the seats to turn it *into* a van.

Hell, my Transit is a lot faster than most cars on the road. It drives a lot better too.

As for smelly vans… what are you on about? Vans only smell if you don’t clean them, or people who use them smoke, or smell. Or you fill them with chip fat oil.

OP – back on track. Go try a Mk7 Transit, you can get a 85ps version, and get it remapped to 130 – it’ll be very quick, and very comfortable.

I do about 40k miles in mine a year, travelling for riding and walking.

I bought a 3 year old Mid Top Transit, in mint condition 20k miles, 140ps, for £7.5k. It’s had a handful of bulbs, two tyres, and 4 MOTs. Nothing else. It’s now got over 80k on the clock. The last guy to MOT it offered to buy it off me.

Get an van, don’t feel the envy – drive it.

tom200

Scudo vans are a good size, you can get 3 up in the front (just). The 2.4 diesel is the same engine as the Alfa 156 and goes like stink.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Another Van Thread. Help me choose a van’ is closed to new replies.