Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Another tubeless cry for help
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

I will try not cutting the tape and using something else to punch through for the valve.  I also hear conflicting advice about tightening the valve with pliers..some say too tight splits the tape(not to mention if you need to remove it on the trails).

It does all seem quite random,..

iainc

Looking back through the posts, have you actually put sealant in ? If not, I suggest you do and it will most likely all just work. The valve area often leaks until there is a good slosh of sealant inside the tyre.

dumbbot
    Free Member

I did the first couple of times and it didn’t work, was looking for more positive signs the taping had worked (i.e no air pissing out spoke holes) before getting messy and wasting more sealant again.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Try cleaning off all the soapy solution you were using. I had issues like you and by process of elimination I found that the Fairy liquid was not helping. I think it was two-fold. One: it was unsticking the tape. Two: it was dissolving the sealant in the rain, so fixed punctures started leaking again. I might be wrong, but both tyres now seem to be holding.

malv173
    Free Member

Sounds like it may be worth just taking it to the LBS, but I was advised by Dan at Bird that it may take a couple of days for the sealant to do its thing. I had sealant leaking through the join in the rim, and a few little nicks in the tyres. He was right. On the third day of repeated inflation/deflation the the finally held pressure. Hope you manage to resolve this.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Well the process of elimination it seems to be that peaty’s sealant is an absolute load of glittery shite. I picked up some of the Hutchison’s Protect Air sealant from Decathlon and it seems to have worked,…with little fuss. I am almost certain some of my previous taping attempts would have worked.

I will check the wheel again in the morning. Perhaps I should’ve read this first, when you have shops sending back the stuff that’s not good…

Theres a massive rush to change to tubeless tyres at the moment and with it an expanding range of sealant to use.We…

Posted by slam69.co.uk on Thursday, June 21, 2018

<h3 class=”r”></h3>

bigjim

I use wtb kom i25 rims with specialized tyres and the tyres stay inflated with no sealant. I use one wrap of gorilla tape now but previously used one wrap of stan’s or superstar tape. I prefer the gorilla as it sticks nicely and should last several tyre changes. I’m not sure if your wtb rims have the same ust compliant groove the bead sits in but the fit is so good. I always use stan’s sealant and soapy water on the bead (not washing up liquid, simple soap bar and water).

If air is coming out the spoke holes I think you’re possibly leaking at the valve. I make a small cross then use a small round file to gently remove the tape to make a perfect clean hole with neat edges, when fitting the valve I push down on the rubber base from the inside with my thumb and screw the lock ring on tight so it’s a really good fit. I’ve been doing tubeless for many years but have absolutely no problems with this method and wtb rims are by far the best I’ve used for tubeless set up.

coblck
    Free Member

Tape then fit tyre with tube,leave over night at high pressure… remove tube fit valve re seat tyre, put in sealant through valve then inflate ( i use compressor) never failed for me, tube presses tape into place. Good luck

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Another tubeless cry for help’ is closed to new replies.