Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another tent thread – Owner thoughts on Nigor WikiUp 3 v MSR Mutha Hubba NX
  • Kamakazie

I’m looking for a new tent, needs to be roomy for 2 (more like a 3 person tent & good height) and relatively light @ around the £350 mark.
    Main use will be car-packing but I want it light enough for the option of bike-packing, all in the warmer months. No plans to take it up to Scotland mid-winter!

Looking around I think I’ve managed to narrow it down to the Nigor WikiUp 3 (a copy of the GoLite Shangri-La) and the MSR Mutha Hubba NX.

Both look good but offer very different pros / cons and I’m really not sure how legitimate the cons would be so was wondering if any owners could weigh in.

WikiUp 3:
    Is the lack of vestibules a big issue for storing gear?
    How is the venting in the hotter summer months?
    Am I going to wish I had a free-standing tent for more pitching options?

Mutha Hubba NX:
    How does it cope with 3 season UK weather.. is driving rain an issue with the high cut flysheet?
    Does it get cold in Spring / Autumn with the large mesh panels & high cut flysheet?
    Is durability much of an issue with the very lightweight fabrics?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

duckman

Have you looked at the Big Agnes range? I have had a couple and rate them.

Kamakazie

I’d had a quick look at them but seemed similar to the MSR.
    Which would you recommend for UK use based on requirements in my first post and how is it more suitable than the MSR?

Maybe the Seedhouse 3?looks like a lower cut flysheet which would reduce concerns over bad weather use.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duckman

I have a seedhouse 2 and a copper Spring 2, Neither are wsp waterproof out of the packet,but I proofed them myself and I will trust either anytime from Spring to Autumn. Cheaper than the MSR and I cannot see any reason to favour the MSR over it.

Kamakazie

Thanks, would the Copper Spur be better than the Seedhouse for windy conditions. I see the Seedhouse is full mesh whereas the Spur has quite large poly panels.

Also what do you mean by wsp waterproof?
    They come seem sealed which is a plus for US tents.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone got any feedback on the Wikiup 3?

Kamakazie

Also you said it was cheaper than the MSR, but I can only find the Copper Spur for £460 which is £100 more than the MSR.

duckman

The material used isn’t as waterproof. I have never noticed either really taking a kicking from the wind,certainly not the way a laser comp used to.

Overall,I pref the Copper Spur,so does this guy.

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2

I got mine on ebay for £200 new 😀

Kamakazie

Any comments from the evening crowd?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another tent thread – Owner thoughts on Nigor WikiUp 3 v MSR Mutha Hubba NX’ is closed to new replies.