Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Another stupid headset question :-)
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

I have some forks with a straight 1 1/8″ steerer.

I have a frame (not seen it yet, on it’s way from the classifieds) with a tapered headtube and a Hope headset (which I have also not seen) for tapered forks.

What do I need to do to get these things to fit together?

Do I need to change the lower part of the headset, and if so how do I know what type it is? I’m a bit behind the times and there’s to be so many types nowadys.

Can I do it by putting on a fatter crown-race?

Or do I need some sort of adapter?

Don’t want to change either frame or forks, long and not very interesting story there, happy to change bits of headset or other things if required.

Pic of the headset from the ad if it helps:

Thanks all

andyl
    Free Member

You just need the hope reducer that you whack on your fork first and then slip the crown race onto it as you would a tapered fork.

andyl
    Free Member

This jobbie: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-15-headset-reducer-crown-converter-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360565865&kpid=5360565865&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sgniIlgJ2_dc|mcrid|295292317327|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360565865uk|mslid||&mkwid=sgniIlgJ2_dc&pcrid=295292317327&prd=5360565865uk&pgrid=58852352866&ptaid=pla-520911923706&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsANfu58Gy7mr3dky9UqtKt46RgfMba-uBHeazOlprdLZWXhAxS2skkV-BUUgaAvWREALw_wcB

andrewh
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks very much.

So I just put the 1.5″ crown race on that? Is it headset-specific or will that convert the forks to fit any 1.5″ headset? It does say ‘Hope’s headset’ on the wiggle page but surely the bit that goes on the fork and the bit of the race that goes on the thing are the same on all? Sounds nice and simple anyway.

PS. I’m in Scotland. That is not a jobbie… (Had to have that explained to me when I first moved up here!)

andyl
    Free Member

yeah it just turns any 1 1/8th fork in a tapered fork effectively.

Embarrassing jobbie mix up by any chance?

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers. I thought that was it but it seemed far too simple to be the case. Will get one ordered. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Another stupid headset question :-)’ is closed to new replies.