Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another snapped spoke – Recommend me a cheap/strong road wheel
  • ross980
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from a road ride and have snapped another spoke on the rear wheel of my Giant SCR2. The bike has done about 2.5k miles and I’ve snapped 2 spokes in 5 rides. I can get the spoke replaced and the rear wheel trued for a tenner from my LBS, but since this seems to becoming a regular occurence it doesn’t make sense. Also rather than get the budget standard wheel fully rebuilt (cheapo Alex rim/Shimano hub) I think it would make more sense to buy a new (better/stronger) wheel or wheelset.

Any recommendations? Weight not a big issue, price and strength are much more important. Oh, and must be compatible with 9 Speed cassette.

Cheers

mdb
    Free Member

There’s a saying in the bike trade:

Cheap
    Strong
    Light

Pick two.

ross980
    Free Member

weight not a big issue

MDB, there’s also a saying on STW, ‘Read the post properly’. 🙄

ds3000
    Free Member

Not that light, but my askiums are still going strong after 3 years of pot-hole/salt infested commuting into Edinburgh. The bearings are still smooth and the rear has only needed truing once.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Mavic CXP22 are pretty bombproof

ross980
    Free Member

ds3000 – thanks, I’ll have a look at Aksiums. I’m not a ‘proper’ roadie and aren’t bothered about weight, the road bike is just a convenient way of getting some cycling in without having to factor in 45+ minutes of driving to get to some decent trails.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i bought a Tiaga hub built onto Mavic Open Pro rim with 36 spokes from Parkers International after snapping some spokes on my old wheel. I use it with panniers quite frequently and its surviving fine.

granny_ring

You could try Harry

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Mavik Aksium is a good balance between strong light and cheap (if you get ’em from Merlin). I’m 115kg and use them for cyclocross with no problems. Look pretty too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another snapped spoke – Recommend me a cheap/strong road wheel’ is closed to new replies.