Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • another Sheffield bike shop?
  • Pook

Driving to work this morning it looks like there’s a Giant shop opening in the old earl of Arundel pub on queen’s road. It’s 200 yds from JE James, directly opposite Halfords, half a mile up the road from Evans and a mile from the Edinburgh bike co-op.

Great to have another option but does anyone know anything about it?

hora
    Free Member

One will shut. Either that or everyones takings will dip slightly.

shuhockey
    Free Member

JE James where doing the advertising to staff it, so looks like it will be linked to them.

jfletch
    Free Member

Just what we need, another JE James!

Bike Tree FTW.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t understand why after this long The Bike Tree still doesn’t have an online shop as advertised.

I really miss all the options I had in Sheffield.

jfletch
    Free Member

I was going to post that it doesn’t look like the Bike Tree website has been updated since the change in ownership but then I just thought I’d check and got a holding page so something is happening.

I’d doubt it will be a fully blown e-commerce site though.

dannybgoode

It is owned by J E James – not entirely sure what the gain of having a concept store for one brand is but hey…

antigee

not entirely sure what the gain of having a concept store for one brand is

sometimes in a bike shop I think that rather than claim to be an engineer and tut tut I need to thump on the counter and proclaim my expertise in marketing and insist that I will defy your route to market

jambourgie
    Free Member

When I first started getting back into bikes a couple of years ago, I used to go into JE James looking for parts/advice etc. Thinking it best to take my custom to a LBS. Their reply was always “you’d be better off getting a new bike mate”. That was for such terminal problems such as a missing gear hanger (for a bog-standard Claude Butler) and a damaged front dérailleur.

Now I use Ebay for bits, and Sheldon Brown for advice.

TPTcruiser

Saw the new Giant shop last night while taking the dawg for a walk.
    Somehow reminded me of Evans in it’s font signage/presentation but it’s a JE James? Brave move, not sure I would have put a shop there but the beer was never the Ear’s strongest point.
    Some sort of cycle event at Haggler’s Corner just along the road on the 6th October, wonder if they are selling bikes there too!

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Loved the Reggie nights at the earl, shame

nickhart
    Free Member

Not sure about the parking there, its a weird junction at the best of times.
    Note to antigee, never proclaim any engineering knowledge, it will be trumped by in built bike shop training bs! Having been both sides of the counter and qualified as an engineer I’ve seen both bs and genuine engineering knowledge battle on the shop floor. Bs usually won but then some of the engineering claims were utter bs anyway!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘another Sheffield bike shop?’ is closed to new replies.