Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • – another 'road and MTB gear' compatibility question.
  • lardman
    Free Member

So, i’ve read a bit about cross compatibility of road and MTB shifter/mech/cassette shennanigans, but cant seem to find out about a specific question.

All my bikes are MTB’s right now, but i do use a light rigid carbon 29er for winter road duties (flat bars currently). Its currently running MTB 10 speed stuff, with 2x chainrings in 104bcd guise.

I’d like to run some drops, and move to road hydro’s for braking. I’m not wanting to start having 11 speed anything and would like to continue using MTB 10 speed gear. So, mechs, casettes, chains etc:

All road full hydros, either Sram or Shim are now 11 speed i think?
    Is there a way i can use my MTB 10 speed stuff easily? i know i could have done with MTB 9 speed and Road 10 speed…. but now? i’m not sure.

Like… could I use 11 speed 105 shifter/brakes and the rest 10 speed MTB cassette/mechchain etc:

Sorry for numpty/newbie road questions.

aP
    Free Member

I bought some SRAM 10 speed HydroR shifters & brakes last year which work fine with X0 derraileurs. S700 I think.

ampthill

I think the short answer is that running 11 speed road shifters with 10 speed MTB will be tough.

With 10 speed shifters you would need a 9 speed mech

read this list I lost the will to live

Shiftmate Compatibility

lardman
    Free Member

OK, great. Thanks for those responses.
    I dint know about that SRAM 10 speed shifter/brakes, so thats interesting.

Anyone got any experience of those SRAM brakes? The only reason for this change over is to get proper working disc brakes on a drop bar bike.

ta

antigee

simple mix and match list here

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91350

from a guy that really knows his stuff

and from me: Tiagra is 10speed Hydraulic

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/184535-shimano-unveils-tiagra-hydraulic-disc-brakes

tang
    Free Member

Wolftooth – Lindarets make some neat widgets to allow you to run shimano road sti units with mtb mech and cassettes. I’ve been doing so for a while, works fine. As for 11 sp shifters and 10speed bits, not so sure.

lardman
    Free Member

The Tiagra sounds like the perfect solution, although….. i’m not sure about waiting for much longer. I cant see them for sale anywhere yet?

antigee

actually I’d been thinking about this while making kids’ sandwiches not so easy

will need to use the road rear mech or a 9speed mtb not existing 10speed plus think the Tiagra will come with flat mount brakes if part of a package – pretty sure can buy post mount calipers but have to buy levers / calipers as separate items

swanny853

I’m using rs685 brifters (11sp road) with a zee mech (10sp mtb) and an xt cassette (also 10sp mtb) thanks to the lindarets tanpan 11sp. It’s a wee bit finnicky to set up as you have to ‘hide’ the 11th ratio at one end of the cassette (I suggest after the largest sprocket and lock it out with the limit screw) but works fine.

That’s 1x though, haven’t tried the front mechs. That said, a different bike has a mtb double chainset being shifted with a ’10 speed’ roadie front mech so I can’t imagine it’s much of a problem.

ampthill

Is this all to go on an MTB frame?

My worry is that is the bike fits now that it might not with drops. Sorry if I’m missing the point

Oh and the easy answer is bar end shifters with hydro drop bar brakes

lardman
    Free Member

this IS all to go on a carbon 29er MTB frame. The lindarets tanpan 11sp, seems a possible option, although maybe a little finickety.

I hadnt spotted the difference in ‘flat mount’ brakes, as i’ve not had a road bike. Adaptors available? is that possible? What exactly is flat mount? or rather, how is it different to MTB post (flat) mount?

So many questions!!!

lardman
    Free Member

@ampthill
    the Spyre solution, and regular ‘old’ 10 speed road group would be an option, to run with 9speed mechs etc:
    BUT, i really fancy full hydro, because, as a little bit of a ‘biffer’ i need reliable braking. Cant be doing with bar end shifters, i’m too lazy for that sh•t.

twisty

Cable disk brakes are reliable, worth considering Spyre or BB7 road, probably going to be quite a bit cheaper. You can always go for larger disks if you want.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Tiagra are direct mount but levers are available separately and could be used with Mtb calipers.

swanny853

Cable discs are fine. Full hydros are in a very different league. I’d consider the slight extra faff on setting up the tanpan very worthwhile to get the ‘proper’ brakes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Although New Tiagra is 10 speed it is a different cable pull, it’s the same pull as 11 speed road groups. So this makes using a MTB mech with the Tiagra hydraulic levers more problematic.

lardman
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    Although New Tiagra is 10 speed it is a different cable pull, it’s the same pull as 11 speed road groups. So this makes using a MTB mech with the Tiagra hydraulic levers more problematic.

Ahhh…. bugger. To be expected really, as where’s the incentive for bike companies to make things compatible eh!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘– another 'road and MTB gear' compatibility question.’ is closed to new replies.