Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Another Reverb dying, alternatives?
  • milky1980
    Free Member

As title really.

One of my Reverbs decided to undo it’s collar mid-ride yesterday letting dirt and grit inside. By the time I noticed it was already grinding the stanchion away 🙁

So what are the alternatives for a 125-150mm drop, 30.9 externally routed post? I would go for a Fox Transfer but they are nearly £400 with remote! I could just get another Reverb and get the most out of the 2 year warranty again but I’m fed up of the hassle, this bike has had 2 replacements and the other bike has had 3!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of my Reverbs decided to undo it’s collar mid-ride yesterday letting dirt and grit inside. By the time I noticed it was already grinding the stanchion away

Oh yes, I can see how that is the reverbs fault…..

jam-bo

my next post will be a bikeyoke revive.

but seeing as the dehy cable conversion on my reverb seems to have solved all my reverb woes, it might be a while.

milky1980
    Free Member

The Bikeyoke doesn’t come in external routing unfortunately. Looking through the options and the Fox does seem to be the best option out there with good reports of reliability. I would go for the XFusion one but it’s internal routing only, that’ll be for the other bike when that Reverb dies.

Just lifted the collar and flushed it all out with oil, lots of fine grit came out. Regreased it and bled the remote and it’s alive again but I can definitely hear grinding going on down inside. Time to start saving up for a Transfer I think.

Oh yes, I can see how that is the reverbs fault…..

I’ve had one replaced under warranty on the first ride after the collar worked loose and stripped the top few threads so it’s not entirely uncommon. I regularly lift the collar, clean and grease it and then threadlock it down (as advised by a SRAM Tech), I also check it’s tight before every ride.

daddyoe
    Free Member

Several Reverbs have died on me in the past two years, despite SRAM’s best efforts in replacing under warranty I have since given.

On all three of my Mountain bikes i run Specialized Command posts, one i’ve had for three years and no problems.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/7177/2017-command-post-blacklite/

Simple and works

Onzadog
    Free Member

They all suck balls and we’ve all decided we can’t live without them. It’s a lottery.

Northwind

milky1980 – Member

Just lifted the collar and flushed it all out with oil, lots of fine grit came out. Regreased it and bled the remote and it’s alive again but I can definitely hear grinding going on down inside.

So it just needs a proper strip and clean then? Reverb is actually pretty easy to work on.

milky1980
    Free Member

The stanchion has a few deep grooves in it already sadly, fine bits of swarf came out too. I’m that fed up of mollycoddling the thing I’ll just clean it out every few rides and regrease until it dies then sell it on ebay for spares or repairs. Also on the last service it was mentioned that it’s on the largest size brass keys already so if it develops any more play it’s not possible to remove it. There’s more play already, only 3 months on but it does get a lot of use.

They all suck balls and we’ve all decided we can’t live without them. It’s a lottery.

When I bought my last MTB it didn’t come with a dropper and I was tight budget-wise. Collected it from the shop at 10am and went for a maiden ride, by 1230 I was at home ordering a stupidly cheap Reverb for it 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s not really a lottery. Classic internet thing of only hearing about the issues and failures without the wider context of all those that work fine. I’ve got 2 reverbs and both last around 18 months to 3 years before needed any attention which is perfectly reasonable I think.

daern
    Free Member

Anyone got the Brand-X one? Certainly meets the cost requirement…!

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s why it’s a lottery! You can buy one with a good reputation and have nothing but trouble or a cheap one that works out a treat.

You can’t be racist about dropper posts, they’re all individuals.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

+1 on the specialized command post. I have an older 3 position one.
    Is kind of a hybrid design. Low pressure hydraulics inside, activated by a mechanical cable and a collet system inside.
    Works well, and doesn’t have all the gubbins to break. Easy to replace the cable too and the lever is nicer than the reverb button.

And they are available in 30.9mm

Poopscoop

daern – Member
    Anyone got the Brand-X one? Certainly meets the cost requirement…!

Brand X is internal routing only I believe.

Good dropper though,I have one.

daern
    Free Member

Brand X is internal routing only I believe.

Good dropper though,I have one.

Ah, yes. You’re quite right and I missed that point on the external routing. Glad it’s working for you – it’s on my shopping list 🙂

prawny

OT but as per the last post, I’ve got a brand X post too, much better than the KS Etens it replaced. Bit of lateral play when I move my bike by the saddle, so I’ve stopped doing that. Can’t feel it one the bike at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Another Reverb dying, alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.