Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Another reason NOT to use Strava….
  • madhouse

Strava has privacy controls, use them. Don’t accept friend requests from strangers etc etc.

If it wasn’t Strava causing your bike to get nicked it will have been map my ride, or Facebook, or twitter, or motion-x or garmin or any other app out there. But then maybe some unsavoury type saw you washing your bike on the drive the other day, or cycling home, or there’s someone searching the insurance database for nice bikes to pinch. I’ll not go on, you should have got my point by now.

Oh and buy a big chain to lock your bike up in the garage, they might be able to get in, but don’t make it easy for them to leave with your bike.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

On that note, Aldi had some bargain motorbike locks this week. They look good – and cheap – for the shed

grtdkad

I can imagine the conversation with the police / insurance company along the lines of

i just bought some new locks from er, Aldi.

jameso

Surely just another reason not to be daft when using social media?

Geniune q from a non strava user,

Plus essentially for me a kick up the ar$e for segments which create relatively short bursts = interval training.

I hear that a lot – are there no long strava sections? I know people track rides of 100 miles + but does anyone set them up as really long sections? If not, why?

stanfree
    Free Member

I use Strava all the time to keep track of my monthly miles , It does encourage you to go faster as a lot of my routes are pretty much segment after segment.
    Its also good for banter between your mates as after a ride the first thing I normally do is click on the people Im following button to see who is the fastest.
    For a free app Its a pretty good tool. I dont think It encourages bike thiefs anymore than some scrote seeing you putting your nice bike in your shed after a ride.

grtdkad

Jameso – yes there are long sections, some many miles. But just as useful are the bits that are a mile or less.

m1kea
    Free Member

Sorry but I thought it was glaringly obvious to stop and start your traces 50 – 100 yards short of your house? – Of course this doesn’t work if you’re the only house on the road / your private drive.

I like following what others are doing though it does often depress me that I’m not riding enough.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Another reason NOT to use Strava….’ is closed to new replies.