Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Another quality superstar product.
  • onandon
    Free Member

This happened on my 2nd ride. A total of 43 miles.

I know 7075 alloy isn’t the best material for a sprocket but I expected a little better.
    Back to steel for me 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

how old was the chain?

geoffj

Installed with a rock?

onandon
    Free Member

The chain was new. The whole drive chain was replaced at the same time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

return?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Power!!

Del

well, i’m no lover of superstar, by any margin, but really – 14T, aluminium, WTF were you thinking to buy it?

onandon
    Free Member

Regardles of material, If they sell them surely they should be fit for purpose ?

wrecker
    Free Member

Jeez, they sell some crap don’t they?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Didn’t realise you needed to be a metal expert to buy stuff from superstar… 🙄

benji
    Free Member

Out of interest what is your chain line like is it perfectly straight?

Chris King, stainless steel, nicely lightened and teeth you won’t need a dentist for.

Free Member

Might have to give mine a look over, but I did get 12 months about 2000 miles out the last one. Which I thought was good value.

onandon
    Free Member

The chain line was spot on. I’m not sure what caused it to star to fail. I’d assume one tooth went and allowed slip which took the others out.
    I alos had plenty of chain wrap around the sprocket so that wasn’t the cause.

Del

Didn’t realise you needed to be a metal expert to buy stuff from superstar…

i’m no expert by any means. i just play safe and don’t buy anything from them. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely it should be left with 8 tenntaclesteeth?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aluminium
    Sprocket
    Not two words I would want or expect to be seen in relation to singlespeed sprocket quite frankly.
    Apart from anything else I would imagine that it wouldn’t have lasted long in the grit & filth.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well what’s this all about then?

passtherizla
    Free Member

They’re not for single speed.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I know that, but I’m just curious as-to why it works fine on a cassette. It is the size of the sprocket [F*D=const.] or is it the fact a cassette can freewheel.

My money is that is should work but the Superstar one is just too crap to tek’ it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

benji, you have a lovely back end there!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Loads from 40t are very! different from 14t, SS grunting up a hill

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I don’t think you’re right – I think it’s to do with the tooth profile and the Alloy choice and not the number of teeth.

But I could be wrong 🙂

http://www.emsamakine.com/KPANEL/RTE/resimler/9-_MAK%C4%B0NE_ELEMANLARI_-_ENGLISH.PDF

If you want to work it out!

johnellison
    Free Member

Is it actually 7075? 7075 is one of the highest strength aluminium alloys available, Renthal have been manufacturing road and motocross sprockets from 7075 for donkey’s years so I doubt that they’ve been getting it wrong for so long.

I suspect that like a lot of Superstar’s stuff it’s cheap Chinese sh!t masquerading as something else.

igm

Or it could be a one off failure of something that was designed and manufactured properly. Trust me they do happen, statistical processes and failure modes being what they are.

What have Superstar said about replacement or refund? I didn’t spot that bit.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Rohloff sprocket after 10,000KM or thereabouts. I didn’t flip it because the seal surface was a bit cruddy.

EDIT – it’s very tough Stainless Steel

ononeorange

I have a nice horror picture of a sprocket that I could theoretically post up, but I can’t post pics so I won’t!

(It’s what happens if you don’t touch a s/s sprocket for several years).

cx_monkey

I had one of these:

http://www.endlessbikes.com/products/kick-ass-cogs/

it’s aluminium alloy and ss specific. Ti be fair, I had a 17T, but they make them down to 14T. I had no problems with it at all – except it did (obviously) wear quicker than a steel one.

Currently running a Ti version of this:

http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/store.php/products/stainless-and-titanium-2-piece-cogs

seemed like it was the best balance of weight vs durability. So far the fact that it was $100 USD has been negated by it lasting nearly 4 years already – barely any signs of wear even now.

FWIW – Homebrewed also makes alloy sprockets.

Potdog
    Free Member

Return it, but they will probably just say its been used for a purpose it wasn’t intended for, just like they did when my brake disc split 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes return it so you can incur some postage costs in exchange for a condescending explanation of why it was your fault

I wish i was just joking

gazc
    Free Member

if its a superstar cog why does it have fouriers logo on it? is it a different version ie: same factory, like the wah wah/nukeproof/superstar pedals? superstar website pic below. either way thats still poor performance and needs to go back for a replacement/refund/whatever

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What have Superstar said about replacement or refund?

😆

maximusmountain
    Free Member

7075 is actually a good alloy to make this kind of thing from, certainly better than any 6000 series alloys. I blame poor heat treatment after forging!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Another quality superstar product.’ is closed to new replies.