• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Another plus point for 29ers.
  • andycs

After an unscheduled trip into the canal this morning I swam to the bank thinking that the Yeti had gone to rest with all the shopping trolleys and bits of old cars at the bottom. Imagine my surprise when I turned to round and saw it floating perfectly on its side. Dragged it out pretty dam quick and had a squelchy ride home, the only casualty being a dead phone.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

story need more info

taka
    Free Member

Thank god I’m not the only one :mrgreen:

z1ppy

seen it happen before (luckily not me…yet), tyres full of air tend to float, even 26er’s.

andycs

It was bound to happen one day. Caught front wheel on a strip of wood separating path from grass while moving to let walkers past. Grass had grown over wood and it just tipped me straight in. At least they helped get me and the bike out.

duntstick
    Free Member

Barge-like handling comes in handy in the canal then………. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀

Lived on a boat for years and never happened to me…close once or twice and once the other party [ for I had the good sense to actually stop] who hit me on another bike ended in the canal

fished one out once as well

franksinatra

How deep are canal’s?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Generally speaking the inland waterways are about 4-5 deep in the middle depending on silting
    and as little as 2 inches at the side [ usua;;y non tow path side ] but i could not pull in at all places with an 18 inch draught and semi chine sides

you can stand up in it basically but the bottom is very silty

You stand a reasonable risk of hitting your head on the bottom i would imagine but it is likely to be soft

Dont try near bridges as that is where things generally get thrown in – all sort of weird stuff

Amazing what floats – gas bottles, old style tv’s were two that always surprised me

khani
    Free Member

Barge-like handling comes in handy in the canal then

😀

limburger
    Free Member

I always worry about falling in the canal while clipped in and being dragged under by my sinking bike because I can’t unclip under water… Has this ever happened, or is this just another of my irrational fears?

andycs

Trust me, you will unclip!!

Kryton57

franksinatra – Member
    How deep are canal’s?

650B.

kayak23

You’re more likely to die from poisoning than drowning in most canals… 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

You could drown hanging upside down as the clown wheels float the bike.
    26 would explode before you hit the water.
    650b would ride on a carpet of fish as they bring the water to life.

patriotpro
    Free Member

650bs float for longer and rise to the top quicker after initial submersion though (apparently)

garage-dweller

650b makes the water come alive so clearly not the ideal choice if falling into a canal. Although may be the ecologist’s choice.

rOcKeTdOg

franksinatra – Member

How deep are canal’s?
    about this deep

tthew

Caught front wheel on a strip of wood separating path from grass while moving to let walkers past. Grass had grown over wood

I’ve done exactly that myself. Luckily there was a narrow boat parked between me and the wet bit. According to the owner, made a ‘helluva’ bang’ when I hit it 😀

grum
    Free Member

It was bound to happen one day. Caught front wheel on a strip of wood separating path from grass while moving to let walkers past. Grass had grown over wood and it just tipped me straight in. At least they helped get me and the bike out.

Lack of manoeuvrability of oversized clown wheels caused the accident in the first place then. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The very first “I was just riding along a tow path” that is actually true!

Be very glad you were on 29″ as they are the only bikes that float. In fact that was one of the key design points as they knew they would be bought by clumsy people with no idea how to ride properly. 😛
    They will also stop and refuse obstacles they don’t think you can do like horses do.

RRD
    Free Member

Brilliant thread – 29ers refusing obstacles like horses!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Another plus point for 29ers.’ is closed to new replies.