Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Another photography thread. What accessories?
  • ross980
    Free Member

So after thinking about it for ages I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a DSLR (Nikon 3300 with the standard 18-55 Vr II lens). I’m planning to learn to use it properly and will sign up to course at night school. My question is what accessories should I rush out and buy now?
    Obviously a memory card(s) – but what size/class? (camera is 24.2MP)
    Bag? Preferably not too expensive but fit for purpose and future proofed to fit an extra lense and some filters – any recommendations?
    Anything else? I’ve already got Hama tripod somewhere

Filters, WiFi adapter and extra lense etc. will follow ones I’ve got the basics sorted.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Arctic butterfly and wet cleaning kit.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I really recommend a nice camera specific rucksack like the following:

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Lowepro-Flipside-300-Backpack-Black/LP35185

The above will hold your camera gear and wallet, keys, snack etc. and good for biking 🙂

It’s difficult to go wrong with memory cards now. Simply aim for something like a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC Class 10, at least 80MB/s and you might as well go for a 64GB version considering how cheap SD cards are now.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Tripod and cable release

Couple of 16Gb cards

Something to put it in

That would probably do you for now!

mrsfry
    Free Member

I always put a UV filter on my lens. Not for the UV pretection as it is a DSLR but to protect the glass. Cleaning cloth, poleriser filter.
    Memorey cards would be the higest class you can get your hands on, i think that’s class 10

(also depends on how long your camera takes to buffer, shooting raw or JPG or both and file size)

Get more than one card, extra battery would be useful (stops you from crying in the woods) . ND filters (for that milky water effect and streaming clouds) and a external flash is a good option (Amazon YongNuo YN-560 III Flashgun. Please note it is a manual flash).

The main thing is to enjoy yourself and all the bits and bobs will come later 🙂 Find a good book as well or a Youtube channel (OMG YT is a life saver)

Nikon owners are all cider and malabu drinks 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A Sony RX100 III for when you can’t be bothered to lug the SLR about.

thecaptain
    Free Member

^ +1

onlysteel
    Free Member

^+2

cranberry
    Free Member

1. Adobe Lightroom

2. Bag – think about if you are going to buy extra lenses/flashgun soon and buy one with a little extra space
    3.Battery – always good to have a spare
    4. Memory card – big n’ fast

You don’t mention what sort of photography you are going to do, so it would be hard to be more specific than that.

One recommendation – shoot in RAW from day one.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Lightroom. And shoot in RAW+JPEG whilst you get started so you’ve got the JPEGs for decent results straight away, but can go back to the RAW files later when you’ve got into it and get awesome results.

Some form of remote shutter release, either a cable or wireless. I use a cheap wireless one I got off eBay a few years ago.

And a flashgun. I’ve got a Sigma and it’s great indoors, keep meaning to get out and about and try it in more creative ways.

Then lenses. Lots of lenses (think of the “lots of guns” scene from The Matrix and you won’t go far wrong…)

metalheart
    Free Member

The only thing I’d add to Capt Kronos list would be as a minimums a book on digital photography or better, a couple of courses. I’ve messed about with a D90 for over 5 years and my lack of knowledge is humbling! I’ve a mate who is pretty serious (has recently gone full frame) and he loses me talking about spot metering and bracketing…. 😳

Learn to use your camera properly as buying more kit doesn’t lead to better photographs without it.

+n for shooting in RAW and Lightroom or even PS Elements.

ross980
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m definitely doing a course, it doesn’t start until April though.
    In terms of type of photography, I want to have a go at landscapes, possibly wildlife, sun sets/rises, moving water shots, night shots with slow shutter speeds and the family obviously (but natural rather than posed portrait shots). I also can’t draw/paint so am interested in trying to be creative with it. Ultimately I want to be able to take something I can be proud of and hang on the wall.
    I probably won’t take it biking – my waterproof Z3 covers that. Though if the opportunity presents itself I might try that too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

landscapes, possibly wildlife, sun sets/rises, moving water shots, night shots

Probably stating the obvious, but most of that stuff isn’t related to the kit, it’s all about being at the right place at the right time. Taking a camera on a walk won’t get you the shot. Lots of research and planning is needed.

ross980
    Free Member

Probably stating the obvious, but most of that stuff isn’t related to the kit, it’s all about being at the right place at the right time. Taking a camera on a walk won’t get you the shot. Lots of research and planning is needed.

Yeah, fair point. I acknowledge that it may take months/years before I take something that I want to hang up on the wall (if ever). I’ve got a few ideas of locations etc. now. Though I think the family shots will be easier once I’ve got the basics.
    When I talk about accessories I really mean the basics – not filters or lenses. No point trying to run before…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A Sony RX100 III for when you can’t be bothered to lug the SLR about.

went into JL yesterday to have a look at one of these and also the Canons, as there seem to be quite a few users on dpreview that have switched from the Sony to the Canon for usability reasons.

I also looked that the mini-SLR-alike Canon G9X which handles very sweetly for only a slight size increase. Some review sites have the G7X giving better images that the Sony as well, apart from at 24mm.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you’re already planning locations you may well have something on your wall first time out. Read up on the golden hour, look at sunset/sunrise times, use Google earth to see where the sun will be, keep an eye on the weather forecast* (and tide times on the coast).

* not for good weather necessarily

Cougar

I wouldn’t recommend buying anything for the sake of it until you know what you need. Otherwise you’ll end up like me with a bag full of bits half of which is useless tat.

You need an SD card, obviously. Get a nice fast Sandisk, consider two smaller ones rather than one super-massive one.

Get a book or two. If you think you can stick a dSLR in “auto,” squeeze the trigger and come away with magazine cover shots you’re sorely mistaken! I borrowed the catchily titled “Digital SLR Cameras & Photography For Dummies” off a mate and it’s surprisingly good. Once you know what you’re doing, the book Understanding Exposure is pretty much the bible. It looks like there’s a new edition coming out in May, I’d wait for that.

Stuff I have which gets regular use (cos let’s be honest, you’re here for the toys, right?) include a circular polariser which is simply indispensable; remote shutter release (just a button on a cable); and a Pod. Handily, all very affordable. Oh, and a lens cloth, though the front element can take a surprising amount of abuse without affecting the photographs.

A spare battery can save your neck, but if you’re diligent about charging it then it’s not essential. The only time I’ve ever needed a spare is when I’ve been a plum and forgotten to charge it the day before.

Any bag is great for storage, but consider how much of a faff it’ll be to put a camera in and out of it when you’re wandering around. My camera spends as much time stuffed into the bottom of a man-bag satchel as it does in its expensive dedicated LowePro backpack because it’s just more convenient to grab.

Learn to spell “lens” or other photographers will kill you in your sleep.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Lowepro Slingshots are good bags in my experience, as the camera is easily accessible without having to take the bag off

jad
    Free Member

Time, luck, light, composition & patience!

burgatedicky

If your looking at doing any amount of landscape work I’d thoroughly recommend a polariser filter. The screw in ones are easy but you will need to keep buying different ones for different lenses.
    The 18-55 you have takes a 52mm filter.

I use HOYA Pro-1 ones and have found them pretty faultless.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KL7JF8
    I say this as polarisers are about the only effect you cant do in photoshop software. They work wonders to bring out the deeper colours of foliage, and you can also use them to change reflections on water.
    Just be careful when using the wide aspect of your lens (18-35mm) as you can end up with some quirky effects in the sky if you over-polarise!

A course is a must! I went on 3/4 when I first got my DSLR. Shoot in RAW and try not to use any of the “auto” settings. My default is to use A and control the aperture but let the camera sort out shutter speed. Manual (M) isn’t as mind blowing as you’d think though. I find my nikon pretty good as Auto White Balance though, and if shooting in RAW you can also tweak it afterwards in lightroom/photoshop.

I really rate ThinkTank for bags, and use one of their Retrospective range. LOADS of room inside, a broad shoulder strap and it doesn’t look like a camera bag. I still have a rucksack for walking, but got pretty tired of having to take it off to change lenses/get filters out.

Also, consider a BlackRapid Sport strap. I KNOW it seems a lot for a shoulder strap (well it IS a lot for a shoulder strap) but having had one for about a year I can honestly say its an investment I couldn’t live without now. Means I can carry my DSLR all day and not have to worry about it either slipping off my shoulder, or giving me a bad back!

Hope that helps!

Dicky

dannybgoode

Flash with wireless trigger. Can’t remember the name I have but it’s not pricey. Having the ability to place the flash anywhere you want, particularly off camera, is priceless.

Light meter but I’m slightly old fashioned in this respect. Useful though when working with flash off camera.

Decent image processing software. Photoshop Elements would get my vote or push the boat out and get Lightroom if you intend to do any raw work.

midlifecrashes

Nobody said spare/extra battery/car charger yet?

ampthill

When I talk about accessories I really mean the basics – not filters or lenses. No point trying to run before…

In terms of type of photography, I want to have a go at landscapes, possibly wildlife, sun sets/rises, moving water shots, night shots with slow shutter speeds and the family obviously (but natural rather than posed portrait shots).

Camera lens and memory card are the basics

Lightroom and or a pixel level editor. For me no point in having a DSLR and not shooting RAW

A case is handy

For landscapes I’d say a decent tripod makes a huge difference

Neutral density filter(s) I have found cheap haider one fin

You might need a longer lens or a wider lense at some point. But that’s about it unless you really want to do wild life.

PS feel free to join in here (the offer applies to anyone with an interest in photography). I have learnt so much from these guys

The Global Camel Committe

vorlich
    Free Member

You don’t need any accessories, or a course. Buy a book, read some websites. Cambridge in Colour is good.

Take lots of photos.

Look at other photographs, decide what you like and why you like it.

Stay away from Photoshop for the time being. Lightroom is very good. But you can make do with the Apple Photos app or similar.

Resist the urge to whack saturation/clarity/any sliders up to max.

The photos you’re chuffed with now, you’ll look back on in a year to two and and wonder WTF you were thinking. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think it is worth doing at least one course at least just to see how a pro photographer sees ‘light’ (as long as you get a good instructor).

I went on a couple with photoion and the first was too basic as I had already read up a fair amount of the technical stuff, but the ‘advanced’ one was with Ion and it was illuminating to see how he works and sees the opportunities in front of him, such as quickly grabbing a portrait of one of the other students using the light reflected obliquely along a marbled wall from a nearby Giraffe restaurant, and the result looking like it was a studio shot, or using one of those lit, rotating advertising boards to provide a high-key background in the bokeh.

Even though I don’t do much photography I am now much more appreciative of things like the light during the golden hour, etc, and I think I now get more out of when reading photography books like understanding exposure.

CHB

Fellow Nikon shooter here with a prehistoric D80. Bits I really love: Wireless flash (SB800 and SB600…replaced with newer models now) some of my best pictures use wireless flash.
    Also buy the 50mm F1.8 cheap as chips and a really good lens.
    I will go with FX for my next camera, but years of service with the D80 reflects well on the quality of Nikon gear.

djflexure

I have a spare Lowepro Slingshot. Email in profile if you are interested.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You don’t need or want a flash of any kind for landscape photogrpahy and while off camera flash works wonders for portraits it’s not what i would call beginner work. You could spend a few years learning to work with the available light before you start venturing into flash photography.

You might want a tripod, but don’t assume you always need it. I never use a tripod although I don’t shoot landscapes. Some of the worst habits you can get into are using a tripod and remote shutter release.

If you’re shooting at wider angles you’re shutter speed will usually be high enough to allow hand held shooting, even at smaller appertures.

A polarising filter is a very good investment though. It will saturate colours and improve the contrast. For landscape work I would regard this as a basic accessory even before a tripod.

Other than that takes lots of pictures, experiment and look at lots of other pictures. Try to figure out what kind of photographer you really want to be.

stumpy01

As above – I wouldn’t bother with a flash to start with.

I had my D80 several years before getting a separate flash – got myself an SB–700 as I’d been hankering after one for ages. I was looking on the strobist101 website loads and was convinced I’d use it loads…..I don’t. It hardly gets used.

Also, every one will tell you to get the 50mm 1.8 lens. I bought one with Amazon vouchers I got as a leaving gift from the last place I worked at. Yes it’s a great lens and for the money it is tempting to get on just for the sake of it. But, for the type of shooting situations I find myself in where I am likely to have that lens on, I think the 35mm would have been a better purchase.

Check whether the camera you bought is compatible with the little infrared wireless trigger – I think most of the Nikon bodies are. It’s only about £12 and definitely worth having.

Cougar

I had my D80 several years before getting a separate flash – got myself an SB–700 as I’d been hankering after one for ages. I was looking on the strobist101 website loads and was convinced I’d use it loads…..I don’t. It hardly gets used.

Similar story here really. Though I’ll confess it’d probably get used more if it didn’t baffle the piss out of me.

stumpy01

Cougar – Moderator

Similar story here really. Though I’ll confess it’d probably get used more if it didn’t baffle the piss out of me.

😆

I even bought that Nikon flash guide book that is supposed to be THE manual to de-mystify the whole thing. Still no clearer.

I’ve tried getting to grips with it several times, but it isn’t very clear. You think you are making progress with it and understanding what it’s doing & why, then it does something completely different.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’d get the 35mm f1.8 lens, it’s rather good, if you already have space card, battery etc.

blurty

Peak Designs stuff works really nicely

geetee1972
    Free Member

Still no clearer.

So speaking from experience, I have myself spent the last three years or so becoming more serious about photography but always only working with available light.

I read on phoblographer.com that when people say they are an ‘available light’ photographer, that’s usually code for ‘because I have no idea how to use flash’. It was certainly true for me.

I’ve also looked at Strobist101 and it’s a really helpful site. But more than that, the thing I found most helpful was just to start experimenting. I only did my first formal portrait session with off camera flash (actually flash of any kind) a few weeks ago, and simply by just giving it a go I got the following:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CvKTPT]The last best bit of him[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CwLn1m]Mum Formal Portrait[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

What worked well for me in this exercise was shooting manual and using the histogram and picture review to judge how I was doing. I set the shutter to one over the focal length plus a stop just to be sure, the apperture to f/5.6 so that I knew I would have full front to back focus for the face but not too small an apperture that it would cause potential exposure problems and then just started snapping, adjusting the flash output as I went. It was really that easy. The images are perfectly exposed, which isn’t to say that the lighting or composition is perfect, but at least the hard bit is done and as I only have one flash anyway, I only need to think more about composition.

The idea of ‘getting your gear out’ really does hold true. Try it, review it, repeat it etc. I’ve got such a long way to go though. Using a second off camera flash to bring out the hair higlights is the next project and then also finding a workable way of using it outdoors for street portraits.

I kicked myself because the image below would have been perfect for this as the subject was stood under an awning so I could have bounced the flash off the roof of that. Alas, I was more preocupied with the nerves associated with having just persuaded the subject to pose in the first place and then realised I needed to at least pretend I knew what i was doing!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CUgnkK]Tina – Street Portrait 1[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Another photography thread. What accessories?’ is closed to new replies.