Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Another new Nicolai
  • honourablegeorge

Just finished this, was waiting on the bushings for the rear shock (have had a few sneaky rides on an old Fox shock already)

Delighted with it – incredibly solid (virtually silent when I land a jump), plush, confidence inspiring, low and wasy to handle, jumps well – but what I didn’t expect was climbing – got up a tech climb last night that I’ve never managed before. Couldn’t be happier with the bike.

shredder
    Free Member

Very nice enjoy love mine.

wrecker
    Free Member

Lovely. Great spec on the build. Like.
    Is it an AC?

honourablegeorge

wrecker – Member
    #
    Lovely. Great spec on the build. Like.
    Is it an AC?

It’s an Ion 16

wrecker
    Free Member

Is that a new model then? I thought Ions were downhilly jobbers.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, it’s their new 2013 Enduro/AM bike. They still have the Ion 18 and 20 as DH bikes and the Ion 14 as a sort of Slope/4x thing

wrecker
    Free Member

Look the business, don’t they?

fathomer

Very nice, quite industrial looking but in a good way 8)

honourablegeorge

Yeah. Thought it might be a a handful to climb, front is 65 degrees, but it goes up better than my Spicy did. Obviously I’m biased, and in the midst of new bike excitement, but I think it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden

Wookster

Oh mate that’s lush!!!

Stiggy

Always fancied a Nicolai and that looks mean!

the_lecht_rocks

What’s the frame design advantage over the old AM .?

honourablegeorge

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    What’s the frame design advantage over the old AM .?

Supposedly 200g lighter (there some debate on that), lower, slacker, 142 rear, post mount brake, has wee flip chips to alter the geometry, tapered headtue – basically all the new-fangled standards on one frame.

As for the different suspension layout, I think it’s supposed to improve acceleration, I think they’ll eventually use the downtube mounted rocker for all their bikes. Never ridden an AM, so can’t compare.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Any pedal strikes?…. 😀

ninfan
    Free Member

oh, thats lovely.

honourablegeorge

ChunkyMTB – Member

Any pedal strikes?….

Ah yes – that was the advantage of the new layout…… 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Supposedly 200g lighter (there some debate on that), lower, slacker, 142 rear, post mount brake, has wee flip chips to alter the geometry, tapered headtue – basically all the new-fangled standards on one frame.

Nice. Make me one in carbon with reverb stealth port. Please.

messiah
    Free Member

I love that 8)

The Ion design is stiffer, has a lower centre of gravity, and a more modern/linear linkage ratio.

One of those has jumped to the top of my shopping list should anything happen to my Helius AM.

scruff
    Free Member

Thats nice that is.

st

hmmm… nice.

I’m the proud owner opf Mildred’s old Helius ST and once I’ve got my new Boxxers fitted reckon it’ll be the business.

I need to start saving ready for when my bike 2 works bike can be sold next Spring to replace it with a more XC biased Nicolai ;o)

Gotama
    Free Member

That is very nice. The new suspension layout improves the aesthetics as well which if we’re honest is the most important thing 😀 Hopefully they make a 29er variant for those that like big wheels.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Very, very nice indeed. Looks VERY purposeful.

jools182
    Free Member

pic isn’t working for me :/

Gotama
    Free Member

Here’s a link for those that can’t see the photo as i couldn’t

http://s8.postimg.org/lud34h7t0/ion_16.jpg

George – hope that’s ok.

honourablegeorge

Hmm.. I can’t see it now either.

honourablegeorge

wrecker – Member

Nice. Make me one in carbon with reverb stealth port. Please.

Reverb stealth port is on there already. Not sure they’ll do carbon unless they can figure out a way to make it with massive welds in raw silver.

messiah
    Free Member

Not sure they’ll do carbon unless they can figure out a way to make it with massive welds in raw silver

With straight tubes and out of aluminium :mrgreen:

messiah
    Free Member

Gotama

Hopefully they make a 29er variant for those that like big wheels.

Delivery expected shortly by those brave souls who went custom for just such a thing…

honourablegeorge

Aye, big thread on MTBR on a custom 29er one.

I think this one will take 650 too, plenty clearance. Just wait for one of my mates to buy a set of 650s and I’ll bung them on for a look.

Rik
    Free Member

Not long till Eurobike – wonder what Nicolai will be coming out with for next year?

Chainline
    Free Member

I is said brave soul! There are two 29er frames Built. Dipper from Gavity sports is having one too. i think Whafe is ready to order one. Nicolai have built one for themselves for evaluation too and the principal behind them agreeing to develop mine was that it may go to production. Should be picking it up in 2 weeks from Nicolai.

That’s lovely George, looks very right. Wish I could use BOS on the 29 but alas not..

The Ion doesn’t necessarily have a ‘better’ linkage curve, just different. It is more DH biased in the suspension response, it won’t be as forgiving of a poorer air shock as the Helius design and whilst providing more anti squat for initial pedalling it correspondingly has more kickback so as with everything…compromise and what you want.

I is the first Nicolai to combine all the current ‘standards’ in one frame that isn’t custom.

honourablegeorge

BOS supposedly have a 29er 120mm fork in the works. Not enough, I guess.

Rik
    Free Member

650lb Ion or Helius TB with 125mm of travel and warranted for 140mm forks would be nice.

The regular TB is only warranted for 130mm forks.

Plus Nicolai are the only company I’ve ever seen that stipulates you can only use 32mm forks. A travel reduced 34 or 36 is a no-no. Very very odd??

honourablegeorge

Rik – Member

Nicolai are the only company I’ve ever seen that stipulates you can only use 32mm forks. A travel reduced 34 or 36 is a no-no. Very very odd??

130mm 36s are longer than 130mm 32s – the crown/chassis is bigger

Gotama
    Free Member

I is said brave soul!

Interesting, please post on here when you’ve taken delivery and built it up. Always had a longing for a nicolai. Will now toddle off over to mtbr to dig out the details.

Rik
    Free Member

130mm 36s are longer than 130mm 32s – the crown/chassis is bigger

120mm 34s are not longer than 130mm 32s though. That’s why I can see a manufacturer putting a maximum axle to crown length on but not a stanchion diameter size. Crazy…..

Rik
    Free Member

What’s the weight of your Ion 16?

Chainline
    Free Member

Gotama here’s a pic or 2 been riding it for a while now, I loves it…so do most who’ve ridden it. So did Nicolai so its now a production bike…selling well apparently ..

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Frame details are the same on a 16 for those interested.

matther01
    Free Member

Very nice

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Another new Nicolai’ is closed to new replies.