Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Another national myth punctured…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

The truth will always out eventually.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21884556

5thElefant
    Free Member

It was an amazing achievement. Hardly surprising some thought it was impossible and even less surprising they didn’t tell the Argentinians they thought so.

Drac

What myth? I was very young at the time but seem to remember that there was some discussion over it.

TooTall
    Free Member

What truth? That some people had differing thoughts about something?

Please – explain for those of us not quite as as sharp as you.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yup. Confused about what this “national myth” was, and what subsequent “truth” too ?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Another national myth punctured desperate troll posted…

FIFY

piemonster

I think I’ve missed something here, what’s the story?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The story was that the ‘Let’s save those poor plucky british-as-Bognor-rock islanders from those hateful Argies!” rhetoric wasn’t as sincere as they would’ve had you believe at the time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There is isn’t one – the disagreements in policy (including the mixed messages that we sent Argentina) were well covered in the Franks Report at the time.

wilko1999
    Free Member

That Margaret Thatcher didn’t have a carriage clock?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This is news?!?

(Although, I’d be curious as to which cabinet members were happy to let Argentina have Las Malvinas)

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m really not getting this, what was the myth? Or is this a thinly veiled Thatcher bashing from a disgruntled miner?

Junkyard
    Free Member

She sometimes, apparently, could not control her grief. Her former aide Harvey Thomas remembers her breaking down in tears backstage at a constituency event on receiving the news that HMS Sheffield had been hit with an Exocet missile. It took her 40 minutes to pull herself together.

this surprised me tbh and I wonder if Blair did the same over Iraq ?

There is isn’t one – the disagreements in policy (including the mixed messages that we sent Argentina) were well covered in the Franks Report at the time.

THIS

I’m really not getting this, what was the myth? Or is this a thinly veiled Thatcher bashing from a disgruntled miner?

I dont think anyone will be accusing you of thinly vieling your dig

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There was plenty of dissent at the time, and some of it very vocal. Bit of selective memory in operation based upon the mainstream press coverage I suspect.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think he did Junky. When they didn’t find any WMDs. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DD – there was a pretty strong consensus building to arrange a leaseback scheme for the FI – there was considerable doubt about our commitment to the FI from governmentS during that period.

white101

There was plenty of dissent at the time, and some of it very vocal. Bit of selective memory in operation based upon the mainstream press coverage I suspect

The political spin of the day wouldnt let that get out at the time, we will probably get more details/truth (ish) in 30 years time about what the rest of the cabinet thought about Iraq and Blair, but by then we will have had other wars to further the political needs of those in power and it will be forgotten by the majority

FuzzyWuzzy

OMG so my unshakable belief that every politician agrees with one another has been proven unfounded? Wtf are you on about OP…?

toys19
    Free Member

Junky, I’m not surprised in the slightest, she is an honest honourable person – even if you do not share her beliefs, I’m convinced she thought all her actions were the good of the country.

Bliar was just a self serving winker, much like the current bunch on both sides of the house.

I’ll be honest I’m not edumacted or knowledgeable enough to know if thatcher was good or bad for Britain. There are many things she did that I do not like – whether the were right or not remains to be seen.

toys19
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – I’d be curious as to which cabinet members were happy to let Argentina have Las Malvinas The Falkland Islands

DD find out

here

wrecker
    Free Member

Las Malvinas

No such place exists…….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No such place exists…….

Always one (at least) 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junky, I’m not surprised in the slightest, she is an honest honourable person – even if you do not share her beliefs, I’m convinced she thought all her actions were the good of the country.

Bliar was just a self serving winker, much like the current bunch on both sides of the house.

TBH I suspect that all politicians think this [ probably even GO thinks this] and i am sure Blair did [ ego if nothing else]
    I suspect my view on Thacher can be guessed by most 😉

Las Malvinas

No such place exists…….

Have you tried Google?

IHN

*thinks wistfully back to the days when TJ was around*

tinybits
    Free Member

Mine wasn’t thinly veiled at all, although I have no real opinion on thatcher as I was a little on the young side at the time (6 in ’82), so didn’t understand what was happening at all, I find it constantly surprising that it’s still such big news.
    Which I guess shows my not inconsiderable ignorance of recent British history…

nickc

this surprised me tbh

While I bow to no one in my dislike of La Thatch, sending men to war and to death must be one of hardest decision anyone can make, on a human level, loss of life is an awful thing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

The story was that the ‘Let’s save those poor plucky british-as-Bognor-rock islanders from those hateful Argies!” rhetoric wasn’t as sincere as they would’ve had you believe at the time.

I suspect you’ll find that Margaret Thatcher was completely sincere, much to the relief of the islanders.

You’ve got to love Ken Clarke, though: “No no no, Prime MInister. Just blow up a few ships, that’ll do it…” 😆

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d suggest that you do some reading to improve your terrible understanding of such things. However, that might get in the way of some really poor and unsupported trolling that you appear to delight in doing.

As you were. Carry on.

wrecker
    Free Member

Have you tried Google?

If I started calling you “booblover”, it wouldn’t make it your name would it?
    although it would be a pretty cool name.

toys19
    Free Member

i am sure Blair did

I doubt it. The evidence is mounting that he knew there were no WMD, any associations with “good” in the project are tenuous at least. In the case of he falklands it was an obvious sovereignty issue, along with a good sound financial/strategic reasoning to keep the place.

Lifer
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

“this surprised me tbh and I wonder if Blair did the same over Iraq ?”

Really?

Back to the early 1980s. Something eventually had to give. And, not surprisingly given the absurdity of the monetarist policies, the Thatcher government eventually folded. However, Mrs. Thatcher never admitted that she had been wrong. Instead she pretended that her government had never subscribed to the policy. Here is a wonderful interview with Thatcher taken from Curtis’ documentary where she flat out denies that she was ever an enthusiast of monetarist.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/07/philip-pilkington-the-new-monetarism-part-i-the-british-experience.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀
    If i stole your wife and called her Wendy it would not make her Wendy 😉

Tenous analogy day 😀
    This has nowhere to go lets quit

toys19
    Free Member

Read it, and it hardly proves anything does it?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah, good idea.
    Having though about it, boobielover would be cooler than booblover. More of a ring to it.

RustySpanner

toys19 – Member

Toys, out of interest, how old are you?

D0NK

If I started calling you “booblover”, it wouldn’t make it your name would it?

well if junkyard doesn’t want that moniker can I have it?
    Might not be elegant or clever but it would atleast be accurate.

toys19
    Free Member

Rusty, why? How old are you?

wrecker
    Free Member

well if junkyard doesn’t want that moniker can I have it?

It’s yours. Consider it a gift. Have I found my calling?

hora
    Free Member

Wow. Thanks for the link op.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Another national myth punctured…’ is closed to new replies.