Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Another mech hanger alignment tool thread…
  • bassmandan
    Free Member

…with a slight difference.

Haven’t been able to find a thread discussing whether it’s worth having one of these. I have an Amazon voucher from work that will cover the cost of the park version, but I can’t help thinking that I could just buy a new hanger for a tenner which would probably resolve my issue.

No idea if the hanger is actually bent but my gearing is all way out of whack. Never had to replace one before so it feels like I’m unlikely to replace enough that it would cost more than the tool.

Thoughts?

scotroutes

New mech hangers aren’t always straight

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I buy a new hanger, I fit it, straighten it, then put it back in the spares box.

There is no question of whether a hanger tool is worthwhile, the only discussion is which one you want. Each time they put an extra cog on the back, the importance of a hanger tool grows exponentially.

dangeourbrain

As scotroutes, you’re as likely to need it for a new hanger as an old one.

The park one is not worth the extra money over the cheapest* you can find though so just order that, it’s not like Amazon doesn’t have plenty of things to use the voucher on be that groceries, a pizza oven or a filthy sex pond and everything in between (I think a t4 is the missing step there) nor do you need to spend it one go.

*Within reason

scotroutes

FWIW I’ve used the Park tool professionally and the Lifeline one at home. I prefer the latter.

bassmandan
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m not fussed about spending the whole voucher in one go, so I guess I’ll just pick one of the generic cheaper ones then!

z1ppy
    Free Member

I’ve bought enough tools, to stop wasting money trying to save a few quid. I bought the park tools one, as it reported has no play in the setup & this has been my experience. I use it regularly, as it cost nothing to quickly check & takes the hanger out of your gear issues equation

flicker
    Free Member

I made my own from a length of 1/2″ solid aluminium bar, an M10 fine bolt and a couple of nuts and washers.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Worth noting that the Park DAG 2.2 is no better than the lifeline or other generic equivalent.

The DAG 3 however is really good. You can stop all play in it, and it has the rotating guage arm instead of relying on o rings to keep the position.

timbog160

Either way, get one. It will genuinely transform your (gearshifting) life…

dangeourbrain

I use it regularly, as it cost nothing to quickly check & takes the hanger out of your gear issues equation

How often do you have shifting problems?!? don’t get me wrong they’re absolutely the right piece of kit when you need them but if I use mine once a year I’d be amazed

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a theory that panic shifts on larger cassettes place more stress on mech hangers and the more sensitive nature of 11 and 12 speed systems means it gets used more often.

If the mech is off for any reason, why wouldn’t you?
    If you’re changed a cable, why wouldn’t you?

There’s also a difference between having shifting problems and having the shifting as sweet as it can be.

timbog160

Onzadog has it for me – I tend to use mine as part of my (irregular) maintenance routine, so maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I have the cheaper Parktool. It is a little bit more fiddly but you soon get used to it and can get perfectly good results with practice…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I should also mention that I have the Abbey Tools version which is so pretty, smooth and lovely to use that it’s hard not to reach for it just because.

With a number of bikes in the house and doing tinkering for friends, it gets plenty of use.

MartynS

gearing way out of whack?

have you changed the cable recently? If you have is the cable the correct side of the clamp?
    its very easy to get wrong if you don’t look closely and has quite an effect on the indexing!

I find 12 speed very sensitive to the slightest mis-alignment, a hanger alignment tool is on the list to buy!

zerocool

What is a filthy sex pond?

honourablegeorge

Onzadog
    Free Member
    I should also mention that I have the Abbey Tools version which is so pretty, smooth and lovely to use that it’s hard not to reach for it just because.

That Abbey is lovely, and looks decent value, only a slight premium over the Park one

I’m still not on board with a two hundred quid chain breaker, though

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Abbey-Bike-Tools/Decade-Chain-Tool-p66391/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Filthy sex pond😉

fasthaggis

It’s a good thing to have and you can always share it with your cycling group/mates.
    Some hangers are made out of cheese and need regular checks.
    I wish I had bought one years ago.

dangeourbrain

Filthy sex pond😉

It’s a good thing to have and you can always share it with your cycling group/mates.
    Some hangers are made out of cheese and need regular checks.
    I wish I had bought one years ago

I’m glad you put “Some hangers are made out of cheese and need regular checks.” for context. Those two posts mesh with one another far too well in sequence otherwise.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Every time I tell my fella I’m going to buy a mech hanger tool he says ‘why? just buy a new mech hanger and fit that’. One of these days I’m just going to ignore his ‘wisdom’ and buy one any way as I love a new tool!

dangeourbrain

Buy one, whack him over the knuckles* with it and then ask if you could have done that with a hanger. No. That’s why you bought an alignment tool not another hanger.

*Other body parts are available.

z1ppy
    Free Member

How often do you have shifting problems?

It’s not a length of string, is it? I had shifting issues, as I ride my bike as much as I can, and the mech takes a bashing. A quick check to see it’s in line, is easy with the correct tool. Previously I’d managed to ride for 10 odd years without one, so it’s not essential but damned useful, as those 10 years had had numerous shifting issues… which might have been fixed by a mech tool

BearBack
    Free Member

My new DAG3 arrived yesterday. As above It’s much much better than the dag2.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.