Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another maxle pro2 – snapped axle again – alternatives?
  • kevt

Hi

I snapped the axle in the pro2 again last week, what are the options for getting rid of this problem.

I mean the aluminium axle inside the hub not the maxle itself

cheers Kev

zangolin
    Free Member

Wasn’t it the Maxle lite “skewer” design that was causing the issue? Think the M Lite had a cut- away that left the middle of the axle unsupported.
    This may be your problem: http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/rear-hub-12mm-maxle-maxle-lite-628820.html

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Same here, Hope have just redone mine with a steel axle, new bearings & freehub body, free of charge. (2 year old hub)
    Just the usual service from Hope.
    Waits for the inevitable, ‘well it shouldn’t have broke’ Well it did & now it isn’t.

kevt

thanks, it isn’t a maxle lite, it doesn’t thin in the centre portion. have heard a pro2 evo has a fix for this?

STATO
    Free Member

thanks, it isn’t a maxle lite, it doesn’t thin in the centre portion. have heard a pro2 evo has a fix for this?

Yep, they moved to bearings with a larger inner race for the Evo, this means they could make the inner axle thicker, so it wouldnt break when using Maxles/Maxle-lite.

messiah
    Free Member

I was on an axle a month until I tried EVO… now I’ve been clean for nearly a year.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My 1st one was a Lite, then they changed it for a straight through one but the axle (tube) broke again, now fixed with a steel axle (tube), same Maxl.

kevt

OK, so I have the evo rear hub on my hardtail, which is just QR, not maxle, therefore I am going to convert that (very easy it seems) to 12mm and change the broken pro 2 to qr, which don’t really break as I understand it.

soooo the question is, which conversion kit do I need for the evo? X12 thru or 12mm bolt through???? conv kits for evos

kevt

Just for anyone else looking at this conversion, I think that the x12 is 142mm so I will get a 135×12.

catvet
    Free Member

This was a problem with a lot of hubs, hope, chris king ect, even going to a full thickness axle made no difference until the hub carrier was redesigned.
    I was using Bergtec/goldtec and as I work only 2 blocks away from Goldtec we redesigned the internal axles under the cassette carrier and I have run the hubs now with a maxle lite axle now for 15 months now (on a 5″ trail/enduro bike), with no problem at all. previously I got through 6 in almost as many weeks!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another maxle pro2 – snapped axle again – alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.