Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Another loss
  • willard

Today saw the hardest and saddest decision I have ever had to make, choosing to put my best friend to sleep after 13 years of companionship.

Ted the ESS has brought me laughter, tears, stinky farts, filthy footprints, rainy walks, huge proud moments, quiet times and, always, love. I knew our time was limited and Christmas Day saw him being really quite ill after eating something. He mostly recovered the next day (cue more stinky farts), but the pain from his arthritic hips and the discomfort of his tumour was never going to pass. Even doubling his pain meds only worked for a while. I could not keep doubling them and even they would not cure what the vet thought was Cushings.

So, he’s now sleeping at the base of a birch tree in the garden and I’ve spent the day crying like a baby and missing him. I hope I did the right thing, I know I did, but I still feel like I betrayed him at the last. I hope he can forgive me. Run free my boy.

Ted

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You know you did the right thing. I’ve had to make the call a few times and it never gets easier but it is still the right thing.
    I reckon he’s had a good life thanks to you.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m so sorry to read this, I can’t think about the day I have to deal with this. I have typed this 20 times and deleted it not liking how it sounded. None of us would want them to suffer.
    Basically watch the Denali video by ben moon. That’s what I want to say. Warning: it gets me in floods of tears every time
    Ps he looks a cute spaniel

Pigface
    Free Member

No betrayal, it is the ultimate loving act. Bog hug.

GolfChick
    Free Member

You absolutely did the right thing and should be proud of being able to sacrifice yourself and your happiness for him and his comfort and quality of life. Really tough decision to make and one I constantly think of now Ziva is 10.

Merak

Oh bugger.

13 years! Good innings for a spaniel.

jamj1974

You didn’t betray him. You didn’t want him to suffer – and that makes all the difference.

13 years of love, loyalty, companionship and shared adventures are deserving of more than a few tears.

I say this every time but pets are family.

Sandwich

That’s a face of fun and mischief. You did the right thing by your best friend and rest assured it’s never easy.

Merak

You did the kindest (hardest) thing, not prolonging his pain.

Lovely to have him in the garden.

Useless info today but time heals.

mucker

Better a day early than a day late.

Tom-B
    Free Member

These threads get me every time 😔

Sorry for your loss

montylikesbeer

It’s a hard day when you have to say goodbye.

Take some comfort you did the right thing by the lad.

The happy memories will come

DezB
    Free Member

A year has passed since my Hope had to be put to sleep and still memories come and hit me hard. They really do become part of us , don’t they.
    Sorry you had to let him go. Good that we don’t let them suffer.

TiRed

Better a day early than a day late.

is exactly what the vet said when we had our four-year-old cocker spaniel put down last month. I’m not sentimental about dogs, but I do miss her. Mrs TiRed is in bits still.

The decision makes itself and is the right one. I’d like the same for me in the same situation to be honest.

garage-dweller

Sorry to hear this, it’s crap making THAT decision but even worse not to make it or unnecessarily delay it. I know it doesn’t make it easier but it’s not betrayal it is the final act of responsible and loving ownership.

13 years is a good run but as with all pets it will never seem to be enough.

Best wishes

breninbeener

Sending a massive man hug.

You have done the kindest thing for your best friend.

Remember the millions of good times.

duckman

Kindest, most loving thing any of us ever do for our dogs.It repays a fraction of the love they show us over the years.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I am so sorry to hear this, you really did the right thing and he’d thank you for it…probably with a big lick. It is the hardest thing ever and I still cry after losing my boy in September. It does get easier as time goes on, but there will still be times where you just sob. It just shows how much of an impact dogs have on our lives, that unconditional love, that sheer joy they bring and how special they make you feel. I am welling up just writing this.

Head out for a walk at one of his favourite places. You’ll feel sad to start with, but getting out in the fresh air helps and you’ll start laughing and remembering the silly things they did while on the walk…or that really stinky fox sh*t they rolled in 🙂

Sending big virtual hugs.

uggski

Sorry to read this. It’s never easy and, I think gets harder with each one, but it is the right thing to do. Two years this Christmas with mine. Not had the heart to get another one yet but keep talking about it. It will be an old rescue though. Don’t want to make it too easy on myself. 🙂

Damn, just checked. It was 3 years ago. Still miss him.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Another loss’ is closed to new replies.