Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another loo plumbing question
  • sl2000

Prompted by recent threads, I’m wondering if I can do anything about the flush in my loo.

loo cistern

It works fine but uses loads of water per flush. Can I replace the flush valve with a dual flush one, and if so what do I need?

(There is an isolation valve on the water supply to the cistern.)

oldnpastit

Can you rotate the ball to make it cut off sooner?

Maybe space in there for a plastic bottle of water to take up some space?

Wally

brick in cistern?

andrewh
    Free Member

I have heard that you can just put a brick in the toilet hut I have no idea how it would get round the u bend

timba
    Free Member

WC water displacement bag. Water companies used to supply them FOC so try them first

oldnick

If you look down the side of the syph<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>on are there any plastic plugs that you could remove?</span>

These break the syphon action when the water level gets down to them.

binman

You can stick a dual flush in it but it would also be worth putting a quick fill / silent valve in it when you have it it disassembled / drained down.

Something like https://www.toolstation.com/fluidmaster-lever-dual-flush-valve/p32789

sl2000

Thanks. Was wondering if I could have a choice of flush size like modern loos. Can you get dual flush buttons that fit where my handle is; and can I fit a dual flush valve in place of this old one?

Edit. Ignore that – cross post with binman who’s answered my question thanks 🙂

timba
    Free Member

Whatever else you do, add a support from the float valve assembly to the inside of the cistern. The threaded loop above the elbow should have a plastic screw in that touches the cistern and counteracts the bending force of the float; you really don’t want the inlet to break 🙂

slowol

You can also use a Hippo water saver. Similar idea to the brick in the cistern and simpler than a new flush mechanism. Other similar items are almost certainly available.

https://www.hippo-the-watersaver.co.uk/index.html

sl2000

Update to say thanks to binman and timba. Loo now has eco dual flush, and potentially dodgy float valve replaced with a new quick fill one.

New loo valves

durovins
    Free Member

There are plenty dual flush valve available. alternatively, you can try a different toilet with sink on top. The water used for washing your hand will flow into the toilet cistern, that will save you a lot of water.
    Here is the actual toilet image. https://www.durovinbathrooms.com/toilet-pan/close-coupled-toilet/rimless-close-coupled-toilet-pan-with-sink-179wb.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Update to say thanks to binman and timba. Loo now has eco dual flush, and potentially dodgy float valve replaced with a new quick fill one.

Is that a flapper instead of a siphon? You will waste more water when it leaks than you ever would with a siphon

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another loo plumbing question’ is closed to new replies.