Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Another Hale knife killer goes free…
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

but this time I’m in total agreement with the court. Great news, sad story, poor bloke.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/21/man-73-cut-wife-throat-suicide-pact-cleared-murder-manchester-graham-mansfield

singlespeedstu

That is so sad.
    Poor bloke indeed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

jesus christ I’m welling up here.

Poor woman to have to ask that and poor bloke for being asked!

Also it sounds like a welldone to the police officers is in order aswell. Ifact all round it sounds like the system has let everyone down, those who need more help and those left to deal with the fallout

duncancallum

I saw that earlier.

Best result in the circumstances.

We need to look at the law again to help people in this terrible situation.

TiRed

Where was the palliative care? Awful situation and right outcome. But this should never have happened.

dyna-ti

Could have come up with a less gruesome, less painful way of doing it. Lots of sleeping pills or along that line, suffocation while unconscious.

temudgin

Nitrogen would be a more pleasant way to go.

argee

I’m not sure this was the best course of action, watching a war movie to work out how to slice someones neck!

Honestly, if you’re planning end of life, why wouldn’t you google it, book up at Dignitas and have it done properly!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Because not everyone can either afford it or make it there. I’m also going to assume that someone doing it under duress isn’t going to be in the best frame of mind to go out and do painstaking research.

I’m going to assume you have neither experienced terminal cancer or suicide but I can assure you both are horrific to deal with never mind the added dimension of taking a loved ones life. Nobody of sound mind is going to be thinking straight.

revs1972
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but based on reading that report alone , the whole situation doesn’t sit right with me. Why did she not sign the notes ? As said above, where was the palliative care ?
    Why call the emergency services and then beg them to let you die when they got there.
    As I say , that’s just based on what I have just read in the article.
    There must have been more evidence in court for them to reach that conclusion.

Could have come up with a less gruesome, less painful way of doing it. Lots of sleeping pills or along that line, suffocation while unconscious.

Very much that

dudeofdoom

TBH the thing I’ve noticed with old people(family YMMV) is they don’t think rationally, they get fixated on a course of action and follow it rather than thinking around the problem as we would.

This with the added duress of the situation,which is grim and makes you wonder why we happily euthanise our pets but make people go thru terrible end of life ordeals.

Drac

Why did she not sign the notes ? As said above, where was the palliative care ?
    Why call the emergency services and then beg them to let you die when they got there.

Maybe she couldn’t,  maybe he didn’t think that far.

Palliative care while excellent does not mean you won’t be in pain, mental discomfort or very sick.

He tried more than once, my guess he got scared and was emotional when they arrived.

We need to bring in euthanasia

revs1972
    Free Member

100% where appropriate.
    Went to the funeral of my wife’s grandmother ( 98) a few days ago.
    She was very ill come the end , and voluntarily refused food and liquids to “speed” things up.
    As said many times before, you wouldn’t let your pet go through it.

bentandbroken

Bloody hell that’s tough read :’-(

bentandbroken

100% where appropriate.
    Went to the funeral of my wife’s grandmother ( 98) a few days ago.
    She was very ill come the end , and voluntarily refused food and liquids to “speed” things up.
    As said many times before, you wouldn’t let your pet go through it.

My relative refused cancer treatment after 9.5 years. In the end she was begging people to let her die. She thought the “end-of-life” medication meant it would finish things off, but it was just stronger painkillers.

Dickyboy

Honestly, if you’re planning end of life, why wouldn’t you google it, book up at Dignitas and have it done properly!

Perhaps if you’d done the some research yourself you’d realise it’s really not that simple or cheap. Just for driving my brother, sister in law & nephew to the airport so they could accompany her to end her life at Dignitas I was interviewed under caution for assisting a suicide, which quite frankly pales into insignificance to what my brothers immediate family or this poor family in the news went through. We really do need dignity in dying in this country.

MoreCashThanDash

A mates elderly neighbour suffocated his wife in simlar circumstances a few years back. Short sentence and then went to a care home.

Tragic situation. My MiL was proposing a suicide pact with FiL when his cancer progressed, sadly lost him now and she is in a home with dementia.

There has to be better end of life care, palliative and euthanasia.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.