Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another great man lost to time…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/4295701/The-man-who-invented-the-doner-kebab-has-died.html

Kebab meat, consisiting of roast lamb and spices, had traditionally been served with rice but in a moment of inspiration Mr Aygun saw that the future lay in putting the meat inside a pitta bread.

That allowed customers who had been drinking to wander off into the night with their food and eat it as they stumbled home.

Mr Aygun once said: “I thought how much easier it would be if they could take their food with them.”

The first of the new snacks was served on March 2, 1971, at Hasir, his restaurant in Berlin.

It was called a doner kebab after the Turkish word “dondurmek” which means a rotating roast.

Mr Aygun went on to invent the yoghurt sauce often served with a doner kebab

footstomper
    Free Member

Sadly Missed. The greatest invention since Beer.

Surfr
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the kebab was invented AFTER beer. About 5 minutes and a quick walk down the road from the pub later, infact. Which is what you said isn’t it… arse.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(Pauses, for a moment’s silence. Which is no mean feat, for RudeBoy)

A truly brilliant invention, yet so simple.

I shall buy a nice doner tonight, in memory of this wonderful man.

Should January 20th now be declared International Doner Kebab Day? I think it should.

grumm
    Free Member

I love doner kebabs – even when not drunk. What a genius.

jimmy

Surfr – *titter*

darrell
    Free Member

well i had one for lunch…MMmmmm…without drinking a oad of beer….and i feel a bit rubbish now

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how dare he go, i want one now!!

Smee
    Free Member

Well that’s my tea sorted for tonight then.

theotherjonv

tonight’s post ride snack selected

assuming the van isn’t shut for a period of mourning.

D0NK

A truly great idea but I’m not sure he ‘invented’ a big roast lamb butty, he just kind of refined and updated a much older invention. Kind of like shimano tend to do 🙂

nickc

I love the way kebabs were actually invented for drunk people

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another great man lost to time…’ is closed to new replies.