Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Another Gravel bike question – Cannondale
  • dirkpitt74

Noticed this Cannondale Topstone 4.
    Crazy price!
    Other than the ‘suspect’ callipers, no dropper (and giving money to that Ashley bloke) is there a reason not to get this?
    I have a Hope V-Twin cable/hydraulic set up I can swap the brakes for, so that’s one issue sorted.
    Dropper ready – also have a 27.2 dropper in the spares box – another issue sorted.

kerley
    Free Member

A good price. The brakes will also be fine for gravel riding and if you need a dropper you are riding the wrong sort of bike.

Garry_Lager

Looks great – lash those brakes into the outer darkness and you are all set.

Wheels are bad but you cannot expect anything there at this price – replace at your leisure. They’ll be fine for just bashing around the bws but they can be hit and miss tubeless. Don’t think they are officially TLR but you might get them set up OK.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about Microshift Advent X.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

@finbar
    that was one of the main reasons I looked at it.

footflaps

Looks great value!

NB I have a friend with a dropper post on his gravel bike (Sonder Camino), but never felt the need on mine (On-one Free Ranger).

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    As I didn’t want to give Ashley any money Start Fitness price matched and also free delivery.
    Will report what it’s like when I get it.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I’d Definitely pick that with the Microshift over the more expensive Sora version.

Good price. Enjoy!

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

if you need a dropper you are riding the wrong sort of bike.

Nobody needs a dropper

Robz

I need a dropper on my bike mountain bike. My frame would not allow a traditional post to get the correct leg extension for pedalling and drop it low enough for the type of riding I do.

I also have a dropper on my gravel bike and it is handy but it’s definitely not as vital as it is on a mountain bike.

That Cannondale looks great value.

rOcKeTdOg

f you need a dropper you are riding the wrong sort of bike.

Or you’re out exploring, don’t know the trail and dropping the saddle out of the way will give you that little bit of confidence to carry on. Dropper posts are great for unknown trails

ross980
    Free Member

I was tempted by this a full price on C2W as our choice was v limited (due to a crappy restrictive C2W scheme) and that was the nearest I could get to what I actually wanted. Decided against it, but I’d definitely bite at C2W for that price, alas I don’t think they price match and I can’t get it from Evans on the scheme. Shame.

EDIT: But those callipers would need to go. Immediately.

dirkpitt74

@Garry_Lager

Looks great – lash those brakes into the outer darkness and you are all set.

Wheels are bad but you cannot expect anything there at this price – replace at your leisure. They’ll be fine for just bashing around the bws but they can be hit and miss tubeless. Don’t think they are officially TLR but you might get them set up OK.

Thanks.
    Brakes I have a Hope V-Twin set up I can put on.
    Will try the wheels/tyres tubeless but I also have a spare set of 650b’s that I can put on once I work out tyre clearance.

chrisdw
    Free Member

650×47 fit fine.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I need a dropper on my bike mountain bike.

So you didn’t ride mountain bikes before the dropper was invented? That’s all I meant – we want them, we like them, they are amazingly useful, but we can do without them.

dirkpitt74

@chrisdw thanks!
    Any recommendations?

TiRed

BSA threaded BB? I’d do, I would. Have they abandoned BB30 yet? I have a caad8 frame that has never ceased to creak.

dirkpitt74

@TiRed not sure…..
    If it is I’ll probably swap at some point to the Hope/Wheels one.

chrisdw
    Free Member

@dirkpitt74

Using the Halo GXC on there currently. They seem good. Not the most aggressive tread, but seem quite quick and setup tubeless fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.