Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another gear indexing problem
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Ok, bear with me. SLX shifters, XTR rear mech and 9 speed SLX cassette. Outer cable falling apart and the shifter managed to munch the cable, so i decided to put in some new Mudlover cable.

Managed to index the gears from H to L, but when changing from L to H the changes are just not happening or very poorly especially off the largest cog. Why?

I’ve tried a new XT mech but the issue is still there so it can’t be a bent mech and the hanger looks straight. I’ve also played around with L limit and B screw. Turning the barrel adjuster clockwise improves things, but then the H to L shifting is not as sweet.

What i have noticed is on indexing H to L it takes a fair few turns of the barrel adjuster for the shifter to shift onto the second cog. Then to ghost shift against the third cog, requires a fair few turns more before turning clockwise to stop the rattle. Another time, i don’t know why, but after messing around, the first shift was almost fine without any barrel adjustment, although i always check the cable is pulled through to the pinch bolt.

anjs
    Free Member

New cables straight and correctly routed with no kinks?

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve also played around with L limit and B screw.

this gve the impression you don’t quite know what your up to.

do you? I never do with gears. 🙄

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur

this helps with doing the right things in the right order.

HTH.

the book is better than the website too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

change the cables, gear shift ropey = new cables at fault – occcams razer!

sounds like too much friction in the new cables

mrbelowski
    Free Member

So, in a nutshell, the mech is lazy coming down (big cogs to small cogs) the cassette? And it does this with another mech? If that’s the case, then it sounds like either a load of friction in the cable run or a knackered shifter

Scamper
    Free Member

Correct MrBelowski.

New cable cut to same length as previous. Mudlover’s don’t come pre-greased i believe, not that should be a problem in itself? Will check the outer cable retaining bolts on the frame are not screwed in too tight.

Set the L and H scew correctly i think – ie until the chain `jumps’ then turn the other way to settle it.

B screw – turned until 5mm gap, or when it is obvious the jockey wheel is catching.

Scamper
    Free Member

Quick update as not sure if its a small issue with Mudlover cables (or me being a numpty). Found that the inner cable liner had somehow been pulled through into the shifter body, and i presume this extra friction was causing the poor shifting. The inner cable liner has a lip at one end so it sits between the shifter ferral and outer cable end. Can’t see anything i’d done to cause the inner cable not to run smoothly through the liner, but time will tell. New liner installed and things much better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another gear indexing problem’ is closed to new replies.