Another Forest of Dean Question

Home Forum Bike Forum Another Forest of Dean Question

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Another Forest of Dean Question
  • Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

The downhills at FOD are pretty steep and the ones I looked at quite rutted and rooted.

No doubt there will be a line that would work on a smaller travel bike but you’ll spend all day picking lines instead of having fun most likely.

Im sure the bike will be fine, myself and others ride it on HT with 150-180mm forks and haven’t died much. The limit, as proven by Graves at the DH World Champs, is the rider not the bike.

The only thing that might catch you out if you saddle is too high πŸ˜† is the drop on the newer track (can’t remember what its called – oe with the jump section at the bottom) before the second fireroad as the landing is steepish and rutted last time I was there.

The rest of the rough stuff just let off the brakes and speed will carry you over most of it! πŸ˜€

If you think the DH at FOD is steep I’d advise against ever going to a proper DH track like Llangollen or Nant G πŸ˜†

jimster

Aah, so grow some balls.

Also, where does the trail start just to the right(as you walk) of the push-up, that looked fun.

TiRed

Aah, so grow some balls.

This.

My 16yo rode the black runs last Monday on his Anthem, swapping with a hired DH bike for his friend. He was fast on both.

My 13yo and I rode Corkscrew and most of GBU on HT, with 100mm Recons. I didn’t lower the saddle. The second half of Corkscrew has some pretty interesting” rooty dropoffs. And I am not a skilled rider. By contrast, I found GBU easier.

And I didn’t get any air on the jumps, either. But administered emergency first aid to someone who did. I would get a full face helmet if you plan on leaving the ground, though.

Trimix

Ride it, you will be fine.

Its not suspension that make it possible, its the geometry of the bike, the fact you lower your saddle and your skill that will get you down.

As long as your center of gravity is as low as it can be, you can pretty much roll it all.

If the transition from the drop is not to flat, you dont need much suspension.

jimster

Think this has been done before but –

Will I die if I attempt the downhills on a cross-country full susser?

Reason I ask is I “attempted” the top part of the Corkscrew Saturday, fine until I crossed the fire-road and saw the drop in t’other side and just thought **** that, and pootled off to rag it on the rest of Verderers taking the red options.

mrmonkfinger

No, you will not die. You might have to ride a bit slower. Maybe.

Fod tracks are generally somewhat rooty, and have some steep(ish) sections. But they’re not exactly industrial strength DH trails.

Remember, a bit of commitment goes a long way.

jimster

I think the problem I had was, I stopped and thought “mmm that looks difficult” and in that split second talked myself out of it.

acer2012

I’ve ridden the corkscrew a few times on a 120mm hardtail. Adittedly you have to slow down a bit to pick lines but I reckon its just as fun!

stgeorge

I’ve ridden the corkscrew a few times on a 120100mm hardtail. Admittedly you have to slow down a bit to pick lines but I reckon its just as fun!

+1

And I’m old and crap. Just mince down the first time.

_tom_

I’ve ridden the trails on a fs and hardtail, it was fun on both. The drop in after the first fire road in sheepskull does look a bit dodgy at first but it’s fine if you just go for it. I’ve only ridden there on a hardtail back when I was crap though so I was properly slow, but it’s still doable. Last time I rode my HT there I had a big crash on the tabletop at the bottom of ski run πŸ™

No mincing! Speed is you friend! Just bounce from root to root death grip style! πŸ˜€

Remember, a bit of commitment goes a long way.

This is a very valuable piece of information!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEV9uBdLRKo[/video]

FoD is awesome if you ride within your limits and (like most things in MTBing) fairly dangerous if you exceed them! I thought the DH tracks were more hardtail friendly than the armoured trails like Verderers but maybe I’m more used to riding dirt?

boxxer7

Ouch^

Last time I was there a couple of friends were on XC bikes and it was fine! Just get on and have some fun and as above ride within your limits

widge34

jimster – Member
    Think this has been done before but –

Will I die if I attempt the downhills on a cross-country full susser?

Reason I ask is I “attempted” the top part of the Corkscrew Saturday, fine until I crossed the fire-road and saw the drop in t’other side and just thought **** that, and pootled off to rag it on the rest of Verderers taking the red options.

POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Was it you and a mate that followed me and two other guys down.You asked us what the trail was like?

jimster

Was it you and a mate that followed me and two other guys down.You asked us what the trail was like?

Nah, I was there as Billy-no-mates, left Mrs. with the dogs in the car – probably a reason I was apprehensive about doing the drop.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

I don’t think there’s anything scary at FoD – I reckon it’s more about getting your body position right than the amount of travel you have.

But then I’m a girl and I skip the two massive drops on GBU πŸ˜†

I rode the downhill sections on my rigid bike this summer πŸ˜‰ fantastic fun on a rigid bike!- so yes, on an xc full susser, you’ll be fine.

dobiejessmo

If your worryed about the Corkscrew dont do the second half of the Enduro run across the fireroad that is steeper.Go over to the Dowies there are great trails over there and they are not hammered by D/H bikes.Second half of Flatland is knackered.Have done all the trails on a Hummer but much more fun on a Remedy,faster and higher.

sleigh62

the drop video … is that FoD?

Which trail … the only downhill trail I’ve done corkscrew but thats it.

That’s the second large drop on GBU. My top tip is not to session larger features at the end of a long day, especially when you were having one of those days where you really weren’t feeling the flow. And if you stop twice on approach, don’t try a third time, leave it for another day! It’s now two months later and although my ribs are almost back to normal (miraculously I didn’t break any but pulled lots of muscles/ligaments) my neck is very stiff…

sleigh62

yep … been there myself. You know you shouldn’t keep doing it but something says … ‘just do it once more, get it just right then go home happy’ …. never works out like that though!!

glad you’re OK and hopefully back to riding.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Another Forest of Dean Question’ is closed to new replies.