Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another Fatbike thread: UK FAT riding spots
  • Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

OK
    There seems to be an increase in Fatbike owners and potential owners on this forum.
    I’ve also joined the fold in the last couple of weeks and considering inspiration for future holiday/long weekend camping destinations.

We all know of the Forth Estuary thanks to Coastkid and his mates (and I do happen to have an aunt in Linlithgow so I’ll be planning something up there soon enough) but I was wondering about other destinations in the UK .. anything mentioned further south would be a boon.

I saw someone mention 5th fat on the other thread that I was getting excited about crashing but then realised I’m out of the country that weekend 8)

I’m south coast and although I’m planning on 29er rims for at least 50% of the time for on the Downs, I do have a strip of low tide sandy mud to ride along for 5-10 miles in either direction (an interesting shortcut to my favourite coffee shop).

Ta

epicyclo

The best thing you can do with a fatbike is go north. Anywhere north of the Great Glen. Take an OS map and you’re on. 🙂

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Only been as far north as Linlithgow 4 times in my life [quickly Googles where Great Glen is]

You don’t mean Great Glen Leicestershire do you ? 😉

EDIT would take me 4 hours just to get to there [inc wee stops]!

scotroutes

Don’t let your thinking be so constricted. Ride your fatbike anywhere. I’ve had mine for the best part of two years but I rarely ride on or near a beach and I certainly wouldn’t buy one just for that purpose.

bigyinn
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Don’t let your thinking be so constricted. Ride your fatbike anywhere. I’ve had mine for the best part of two years but I rarely ride on or near a beach and I certainly wouldn’t buy one just for that purpose.
    This, get your maps out and go exploring. There could be fatbike nirvanna just waiting to be found!

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I wasn’t .. It is now my only [off-road] bike and will be a Fat for normal downs riding too some of the time, but I’m slow even at my fastest compared to my riding mates .. so when I’m with them it’ll be with 29er rims.
    When I’m on my own I’ll go fat.

Just inspired by Coastkids vids so wondering where else in the UK there is that it’ll really shine be it sand, bog, moorland or something I don’t know about yet.

I guess the Gower would be quite nice.

bedmaker

I’ve taken my fat to the beach twice, just because I can. Ridden snow probably three or four times.
    Otherwise it’s just a bike, a very fun and capable one.

Try it on a group ride, you’ll probably find it’s not any slower even though your brain (and internet experts) tells you it should be.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Re Gower certainly Rhosilli looks great but a hike a bike down steps up dunes and on a bike not that long one end to the other.

For out of the box thinking you have Northern France, Normandy Landing Beaches, Deauville, Trouville, all the way up the coast towards Calais. Accessible off Portsmouth Caen ferry too.

coastkid
    Free Member

Was good on the North Yorkshire Moors when we were there, any Moors are great on fatbikes, Peat tends to not stick to the tyres unlike some mud,
    Minimum impact on the ground too with the tyre spread 😉

Were doing more riding this Autumn in our local Lammermuir hills once the Grouse shooting season finishes 🙂

Cheviots is brilliant, miles and miles of isolation, still got a few plane wrecks to go find up there

coastkid
    Free Member

Oh and any stubble field this now!, they romp over them easy 🙂

1st Sept 025 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another Fatbike thread: UK FAT riding spots’ is closed to new replies.