Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 594 total)
  • Another entitled dog owner… 😡
  • toofarwest

burner
    Free Member
    Dogs are nicer than humans. Fact.

This, be the person your dog thinks you are!

Pyro

I feel sorry for those who haven’t/not able to experience the love/companionship of a dog 🙁

[puts tongue firmly in cheek]
    That’s funny, I always feel sorry for those who have to rely on a dog for love and companionship, they’re obviously devoid of something else in their life…
    [removes tongue from cheek]

This is going exactly the way I assumed it would. Huge generalisation incoming, but those who do own dogs often* don’t understand or appreciate that some of us just want nothing to do with their pets. It’s not necessarily fear in my case, it’s just a dislike: I don’t care whether your dog is friendly, wants to play, won’t bite etc, I would like you to keep it the **** away from me. Likewise: if the dog isn’t on a short, fixed lead, it isn’t under control, no matter how strong you say its recall is.

*Often, not always.

kerley
    Free Member

As with all generalisations, completely wrong of course.

I love animals but dislike most people. I don’t want my pet to have anything to do with you so nothing to fear there.

Although I feel the same about children as you do dogs and they are rarely kept on leads with the odd exception being very young children sometimes seen on a lead. Just something I have to put up with as part of life I suppose.

singletrackmind

Judging ny the amount of brightly coloured dog shir bags in the car park out the back of qe i would question how much love their is for fido and his presents
    I reckon between 20 and 30, and some considerate owners helped by piling their bags on top of the pile already in existence
    If you think a bright yellow w bag full of turds is in any nice to look at, you go hang it on your front door as some sort of turd bag door knocker
    Poo bag carrying is part and parcel of being a dog owner. No shame in it, it is wjat it is and shows you are responsible
    Throwing that bag in a hedge makes you an arsehole and tarnishes all responsible dog owners with the same brush. See also cyvlists amd red lights, yoofs with hoodies and baseball caps etc

Inbred456
    Free Member

I may be wrong here but there is no such thing as a cycle way as such is there? It’s just a permissive access for cycles on a shared path. Pedestrians, horses and animals have right of way every time and so they should. I will always stop if necessary and certainly slow down for pets and kids. Runners with earbuds in are the worst as they can’t hear you and often run dead centre on the path, I just wait until there is a gap where I can get past, but then I’m not trying to blast a strava time as if it’s my own personal race track.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

@Inbred456 On the TPT, for example, one of the user codes is:

If you are in a group, please do not walk or ride across the whole width of the path, leave space for others to pass you easily.

Whilst pedestrians may have right of way, they are not supposed to block the path as a group.

kerley
    Free Member

Or from the Ramblers association;

If you are in a group, please take up every inch of the the path, ensuring there is no space at all for any others to pass you easily and then tutt and sigh when someone dares to squeeze by.

StuE
    Free Member

Or shout BIKE and scatter like a bomb as just exploded

ButtonMoon

You never meet a dog owner who will admit to leaving dog eggs everywhere, yet where I live they are everywhere! Disgusting humans!

RustyNissanPrairie

Having a dog means I can pick up after other people

savage poems

matt_outandabout

Nice one RNP 👍

RustyNissanPrairie

Morning daily litter walks.

Litter bags from these guys and leave next to any council bin for collection.
    https://www.civic-pride.org.uk/about/

grahamt1980

We use our 5yr old when litter picking, works well as he can use the litter picker too

anagallis_arvensis

You never meet a dog owner who will admit to leaving dog eggs everywhere, yet where I live they are everywhere! Disgusting humans!

No, me neither, I’ve also failed in my life to find one of those disgusting moronic imbeciles that bags it up and then leaves the bag on the floor or worse still, piles it up next to a full bin, or even worse than that chucks it in a tree/hedge……
    When I do though!!!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I used to work with dogs at a well known dogs & cats home. I’ve dealt with all kinds. I was fortunate enough to never get bit but I had my fair share of close encounters whilst there. In recent years I’ve noticed an uptake in badly trained animals & that’s heartbreaking. I love dogs but I’m all too aware of the damage they can cause. Most of us had never had to confront or deal with an aggressive dog & have little idea of how intimidating/dangerous they can be. Education is sorely needed in that respect…..

That K917 spray looks interesting by the way & I’m considering carrying some when I’m out on my bike. Better your beloved pooch gets a muzzle of something noxious but harmless than a mouthful of my flesh..

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/apr/15/dog-bite-britain-the-problem-with-the-pandemic-puppy-explosion

gwaelod
    Free Member

10 pages on dogs and no mention of Richards Bicycle Book.

Standards are slipping

colp

Better your beloved pooch gets a muzzle of something noxious but harmless than a mouthful of my flesh..

Crikey! That’s some niche stuff.

tonyd

bags it up and then leaves the bag on the floor

I do this if I’m running with the dogs and will be returning the same way. If I can avoid running round the woods for an hour carrying one or more stinking bags of shit then I will! Unless it’s winter of course, then they make quite good hand warmers.

Edit: Of course I meant to say I pick it up on the way back

Inbred456
    Free Member

We have had an explosion of dog ownership around where I live due to the pandemic and it seems like people that would never normally choose a dog due to their lifestyle/work have now decided to get one as they are now working from home. Fully equipped with all the latest walking gear, boots, Rab coat and a shitzu doodle of some type screaming at their little pride and joy as it’s eating some dog poo completely oblivious to their owner who doesn’t understand that their 10 month old dog hasn’t grasped the English language yet! Sadly there will be an awful lot of 2-3 yr old barely trained dogs for sale or for rescue in a yrs time.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Sadly there will be an awful lot of 2-3 yr old barely trained dogs for sale or for rescue in a yrs time.

Happens faster than that – we were getting uncontrollable husky types before the end of S1 of GOT…

b230ftw
    Free Member

I think I read that the Scottish RSPCA was struggling to cope with the amount of abandoned or given up dogs after people started going back to the workplace.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As sad as that is I sincerely hope it means less bastards will be going round stealing them.

jonm81

@mrlebowski

That K917 spray looks interesting by the way & I’m considering carrying some when I’m out on my bike.

I wouldn’t as it will land you in deep shit if caught. It is an offence under Section 5(1)(b) if the Firearms Act 1968

“(1)A person commits an offence if, [F1without authority], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires F2…—

(b)any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing;”

As much as I would love to use this on some of the **** dogs and owners that frequent the Castleman Trail in Poole the chances of getting sent to jail are too high.

gooner69

All this chatter makes me quite sad. The people suggesting violence/sprays etc would be better off going to a dog training class first. Theres a world of difference between a dog actually being aggressive and one that runs up because its interested/wants to run with or alongside you. Or even just say hello. A truly aggressive dog is a scary and thankfully rare thing.
    I say this as a lifetime mtb`er dad and last four years dog owner. Forget your preconceptions and actually listen and learn before you judge anything.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Tonyd, what makes you think that anybody wants to see your stinking bag of shit while you are off on your run? It’s still litter while it is left there.

matt_outandabout

@tonyd – that is what a bumbag is for.

I don’t need to see the bag of poop in a tree while you go for your run. Plus it encourages others, who may have less attention and forget it.

grum
    Free Member

Theres a world of difference between a dog actually being aggressive and one that runs up because its interested/wants to run with or alongside you. Or even just say hello.

This is what every single dog owner says until the day their dog bites someone though isn’t it.

I do this if I’m running with the dogs and will be returning the same way.

And I guess you’ve never ever ever ever forgotten and gone a different way home? Cos I bet that’s how most of the bags on walls and in trees etc get justified.

wbo
    Free Member

If a dog runs up barking and snarling and stops , appearing ready to bite, what exactly do you suggest I do?

onewheelgood

The people suggesting violence/sprays etc would be better off going to a dog training class first.

Surely this is peak entitlement? Now those of us who want nothing to do with your barking, stinking, biting sack of furry neuroses have to pay to get ourselves trained on how we should react to its unwanted advances/attack. No. It’s your responsibility to keep your mutt away from us. Please make sure you do.

IdleJon

Theres a world of difference between a dog actually being aggressive and one that runs up because its interested/wants to run with or alongside you. Or even just say hello. A truly aggressive dog is a scary and thankfully rare thing.

Yes there is. There’s a world of difference between an aggressive dog, and one that runs into your beach picnic grabbing food at full speed, or knocks your toddler over while ‘just being friendly’, or runs up to your well-behaved dog and starts aggravating it in a ‘friendly’ way.

All these have happened to me. Also, my dogs being attacked while the owner puffed up from 100s of metres away. Or recently, a hound in the local park that chased my 10 yr old around trying to bite her while its owner claimed that the noise of the skateboard wheels had spooked the dog, and then wandered off still with a loose dog.

That they aren’t actively aggressive doesn’t make it any less of an issue.

binners

Theres a world of difference between a dog actually being aggressive and one that runs up because its interested/wants to run with or alongside you. Or even just say hello.

Not to a lot of people, myself included, there isn’t.

Its attention from a potentially dangerous animal that I neither instigated nor want.

As has been said by many, why on earth should it be left to me to differentiate between the two? If you can’t keep your animal under control, don’t have one.

I speak as someone who’s had a dog run up to me out of the blue, while I was out on the bike and just sink its teeth into my leg, breaking the skin and drawing blood, for no apparent reason whatsoever.

After I hoofed the ****ing thing into the middle of next week to get it off, the owner said that ‘he’s never done that before’. This turned out to be a complete lie as on further discussion it turned out it had done exactly the same thing to a runner 3 days earlier, but apparently he’d never done it before that, honestly…

b230ftw
    Free Member

The people suggesting violence/sprays etc would be better off going to a dog training class first.

So when that dog runs up to me with its teeth bared, do you suggest i somehow stop time and spend my own money going to to dog training class for a dog I don’t own (not forgetting the weird conversation when you arrive and you haven’t brought a dog with you). I will then return to the present time and use these techniques with no guarantee that they will work?

No. That’s ridiculous. So keep control of your dog you moron.

Forget your preconceptions and actually listen and learn before you judge anything.

Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? :facepalm:

I probably know

soundninjauk

Not to my 2 year old. Whom admittedly isn’t on a lead (which I know some people do but raises a serious wtf from me) but in my defence I don’t leave her full nappies lying around either.

tonyd

Tonyd, what makes you think that anybody wants to see your stinking bag of shit while you are off on your run? It’s still litter while it is left there

I’m sure nobody wants to see my stinking bag of shit, but in the grand scheme of things I don’t think it is doing that much harm and there won’t be that many people walking past it in the time it is there. Plus there are usually plenty of unbagged stinking piles of shit very close by for those that really want to be offended.

@tonyd – that is what a bumbag is for.

True, and I do use one if I need to but would rather not.

I don’t need to see the bag of poop in a tree while you go for your run

It’s not in a tree, it’s by the side of the path. Usually very close to all of the stinking piles of shit that aren’t bagged and won’t be collected on the way home. Some of which I’ve had to wade through to pick up mine.

Plus it encourages others, who may have less attention and forget it.

Fair point, hadn’t thought of that.

And I guess you’ve never ever ever ever forgotten and gone a different way home?

Correct, I haven’t ever ever ever forgotten one and probably won’t.

While I understand it’s very STW to run to the nearest extreme at every opportunity and to treat everyone else with disgust, why not accept that people are different and just move on? Yes, there are arseholes in all walks of life, but very few on here from what I’ve seen in the last 10+ years.

I’m a cyclist (MTB, road, sometimes track), walker, runner, driver, parent, the list goes on and like most on here I would imagine, I try to live my life responsibly and by a set of standards that I find appropriate. I’m sorry if my standards don’t fit with yours.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Do you realise how stupid this statement sounds?

It’s my responsibility to be able to recognise the difference between an out of control mutt & one whose just being friendly when your mutt should be trained & better behaved in the 1st place?

Why should I go to a dog class to understand your dogs behaviour?

WTAF?

The Muslim world are going to love you…..

kerley
    Free Member

You would have to achieve a ninja level of dog control at those training classes to be able to instantly train an untrained dog that runs towards you.

piha
    Free Member

The Muslim world are going to love you…..

Wowsers…!!! PBUH.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I wouldn’t as it will land you in deep shit if caught. It is an offence under Section 5(1)(b) if the Firearms Act 1968

Apparently not as it’s not deemed to be noxious:

“ K9-17 meets all European and UK HSE legislation requirements, and indeed has received derogation (exemption) from the EU’s Biocidals Products Directive as it has been assessed to only contain food/feedstuff and therefore poses minimal risk to humans and canines alike. The spray is legal to carry and does not fall under section 5 (1) (b) of the Firearms Act. The spray is formulated with natural oils and not deemed to be noxious.”

I could well be wrong though..

https://www.vonwolfshop.co.uk/k9-17-bite-back-dog-deterrent-spray-493-p.asp

https://police.community/topic/249045-bite-back-anti-dog-spray/

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 594 total)

The topic ‘Another entitled dog owner… 😡’ is closed to new replies.