Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another eagle shifter exploded! Is the XO1 any stronger?
  • james
    Free Member

Had my second GX eagle shifter fail on me after about a year and 8 months. I’m not a regular week in week out rider either

riding up a sharp rise in a rough fireroad, go to shift down, felt a little stiff on reflection but I was mid shift and without time to think to back off, and the innards would appear to have exploded as it just clicks round and round now with little resistance and no shifting

Is the stupidly priced xo1 eagle shifter any stronger internally or just as poor?
    I can’t carry on with this failure rate

DickBarton

Have you taken the cable cover off to see what has failed?

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Without wishing to stir controversy, it’s highly likely that a 12spd SLX shifter will work with the GX mech..  Is that an option.? General opinion seems to be that shimano shifters and mechs tend not to fail as much as SRAM.

#EDIT: XT or XTR should also work in you fancy something a bit blinger.

plop-pants
    Free Member

Got an unused X01 12 speed shifter for sale. Swapped out for gripshift on my new bike. £65 posted. 😊

james
    Free Member

The cable cover off doesn’t show any more than you can already feel. You’d need to remove the bottom frame but you’ve got to remove the big shift lever to do so and I’m not sure I want to go down the road of risking it all dropping to bits when it’s still in warranty?

I’m tempted by Shimano throughout, I was under the impression you needed a Shimano mech and shifter together? Even then they won’t mate 100% to the sram cassette?

Tempted by your unused one? (Though no warranty at that?)
    How quickly could you have it posted to me though?

transition1
    Free Member

I am running an XTR shifter with XX1 rear derailleur no issues. Had an XX1 shifter which still works perfectly I just wanted to try a change

martinhutch

I was under the impression you needed a Shimano mech and shifter together? Even then they won’t mate 100% to the sram cassette?

There are couple of threads on here about mating shimano shifters with sram mech/cassette. I’ve run an XTR shifter with X01 rear with no issues. If you were thinking of upgrading to Shimano 12 speed at some point, then it might be worth a go.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Yes, no warramty I’m afraid.I can post it today James.

transition1
    Free Member

Evans have XTR 12 speed shifter in stock £72 if your a British cycling member 10% off that price

james
    Free Member

Plop pants ygm

munrobiker
    Free Member

The insides of Sram shifters, even the expensive ones, are basically just plates of metal and cheap plastic put together in a very rudimentary fashion. They aren’t up to much – I’ve just killed a XX1 one.

Shimano XT and above seem to be the most reliable – I’ve had Zees and SLXs fail and I think that’s because they use more plastic inside, while I’ve never had an XT or XTR one pack in.

B@rney
    Free Member

Got a brand new XX1 in gold if you fancy?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another eagle shifter exploded! Is the XO1 any stronger?’ is closed to new replies.