• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tops5.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Another DH bike question….sorry.
  • deviant
    Free Member

Further to yesterday’s post about pedal strikes it has been suggested to me that the stock rear spring is too soft, fair comment….im 14st and despite buying a large people may have a point.

Question is what do I replace it with, not fussed on brand just want the correct size….there is nothing, NOTHING in the YT handbook that tells you what size spring it is!

Any help greatly appreciated then I can get something suitable for my weight.

legend
    Free Member

Give TF Tuned a call. The spring will say on it what the stroke length is (which will be the key figure) and they will help based on you + bike characteristics.

You can use the spring calc on their site, but people seem to have mixed results with that.

Just to check though, you’re getting too much sag as it is?

scruff
    Free Member

What shock is it? This came off my 2016 Tues, to replace it I phoned j-TECH and bought the spring weight he recommended rather than using a generic spring calculator.
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2092568/

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It’s a longun, 3.5? What weight do you need? I’ve got a 450 Ti to fit a Tues for sale.

deviant
    Free Member

Yeah too much sag, it’s lovely and plush but just too damn low to the ground.

legend
    Free Member

What about the fork? Might as well make sure they are both sorted

Northwind

Spring rate and length’s usually printed on the spring. Though it’s not quite so simple, there’s been a bit of variance between manufacturers.

deviant
    Free Member

Fork seems great, used all but an inch of travel yesterday which is what I like to keep in reserve for unexpected big hits.

The spring (just been out to check) says 250 x 3.6
    I’m guessing 250 is 250lb which does seem underweight for a 14st bloke but what is 3.6?

Is it the circumference or diameter of said spring so it fits through the frame?

Plus, how long a spring would I need to order!?!?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

3.6 is the free stroke length.

How much sag are you getting? 250lbs is a light spring even on a long stroke shock.

a 3.5″ stroke spring will be fine. Depending on the shock will depend on the ID of the spring. Fox & RS are slightly different.

deviant
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll get on the phone to TF and see what they can do for me.

legend
    Free Member

Make sure you start the conversation with “I’ve been getting advice from the STW forum” and wait for the groan 🙂

acidchunks

length should be printed on the coil.

for my tues I went from 250lbs to 275lbs. (I’m 13.5 st) At the time it was the longest one RS did but now we have “metric” shocks so that may no longer be the case :/

IIRC it needs to be rockshox specific. Fox, marz and cane creek won’t fit.

psycorp
    Free Member

RS shocks require 38mm internal diameter spring. I think Fox/Cane Creek are 36.5mm, but check that.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

shock on my 2017 Tues AL is 10,5″x3,5″/267mm x 89mm . I went up to a 300lbs one.

all available here

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=64740;menu=1000,2,119;page=9

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member
    3.6 is the free stroke length.

How much sag are you getting? 250lbs is a light spring even on a long stroke shock.

I ran 300 or 325 on mine, and I’m a big lump. The 3.5″ stroke means you end up using surprisingly low rates.

deviant
    Free Member

Have ordered a 350 on the basis I’m back in the gym and likely to add to my 14st this summer, might be a mistake in which case I’ll come down to the recommended 300, we’ll see.

tops5
    Free Member

Be interested to know how you get on – I recently acquired an older model Tues and suspect that I need a stiffer spring.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Another DH bike question….sorry.’ is closed to new replies.