Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • another Dave hinde topic?
  • waldo1
    Free Member

Keeping it short, I ordered a wheel set on the 14th of December under verbal guarantee that they would get to me on the 20th for my biking trip. I use the bike every day and reiterated the fact that I am going away biking on the 21St. “that’s no problem” I was told.
    So, 21St comes- no wheels. I them had to buy another set locally, in desperation to go away with.
    I spoke to DHR on the 21st, was given some mumbo and they said that the monies would be refunded straight away.
    Still, after over a month and numerous calls and a foray of excuses, the money still has not been refunded.
    anyone have any views/experience on this.

mrmo
    Free Member

trading standards, small claims, CAB.

bratty

I am amazed the guy is still in business. The amount of complaints about the service there over the years has been much more than any other shop, and often there has been an element of physical intimidation mentioned.

On balance I had a pair of wheels built up there about 10 years ago and they have been fine, but I would not risk another after all the horror stories.

grtdkad

Speak as I find. Over the years I’ve had three sets of quality wheels from Hinde with no problem.

Pretty happy tbh !

yatesy

iv had the same issue a few years back when i brought some forks. they never turned up after repeated calls asking for money back and they refused to give my money back. so in the end me and a mate drove to shop and asked again and i had the money back in bareley 5 mins. so thats my advice

wrecker
    Free Member

Were you not aware of the type of business mr hinde runs?

mmel
    Free Member

Speak as I find. Over the years I’ve had three sets of quality wheels from Hinde with no problem

I’ve got a great set of wheels from Hinde too… Luck of the draw perhaps?

spacemonkey

I wouldn’t touch DH with a barge pole – but that’s only because of the catalogue of issues posted on here something like 10 yrs ago. I know that doesn’t help, but it does make me wonder how the guy is still in business.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If they were the only bike shop in the world I’d give up cycling and walk.
    I had an experience similar to the OP some years ago. One phone call and a letter to my credit card company and the card company refunded my money, and I guess, got it back from DH.

tartanscarf

Keep it simple – what mrmo says. Recorded letters with timescales, no more phone calls. Simples.

Northwind

Credit card? If so, go straight to your card provider.

DH have the distinction of being the second worst bike company I’ve ever dealt with.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2nd worst? Who the hell can be worse than them?? 😯

Northwind

Dur- Mark Anthony Bikes/Activesport.

waldo1
    Free Member

I’ve told my bank and raised the dispute. They’ve sent me forms to fill in a return to them.
    I had a quick squizz around on the net before ordering, heard a few stories, just thought I’d give it a whirl. It seems the quality of his wheels is good, just can’t run a business for shit.
    I live in south Wales so making a visit isn’t viable, otherwise that would have been my first port of call

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

NW – Really? I’ve used them twice.. Didn’t know that they had a bad rep.

yossarian
    Free Member

Not even muslimic swans with bad aids will buy anything from Dave Hinde.

Science fact kids, science fact.

asterix
    Free Member

Speak as I find. Over the years I’ve had two sets of quality wheels from Hinde with no problem.
    Pretty happy tbh !

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Speak as I find. Over the years I’ve had two sets of quality wheels from Hinde with no problem.
    Pretty happy tbh !

Yes. It’s sad and true, their wheels ARE good. But if something goes wrong, you’ll wish you’d never been born.

Still running a wheel from him which is great and arrived on time. However the brake that was ordered, at the same time, as a package was repeatedly wrong.

But if something goes wrong, you’ll wish you’d never been born.

This

Teetosugars
    Free Member

He used to be my LBS..
    To be fair, when I did use him, I found him spot on.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Cretin of the highest order! As stated above I’m amazed he is still going.

heumena
    Free Member

Pffff, I’ve just ordered new Hope Hoops wheels at the webshop and now I read this… Also he has to send it to the Netherlands so I have to keep my fingers crossed then… Or should i not worry to much?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Pffff, I’ve just ordered new Hope Hoops wheels at the webshop and now I read this… Also he has to send it to the Netherlands so I have to keep my fingers crossed then… Or should i not worry to much?

Yes, you are due sleepless nights, promises of being sent, wrong bits arriving, like everyone who has used him.

MoreCashThanDash

Heard some real horror stories, but I’ve used him twice with no problems, but if you’ve been screwed, exert your legal rights.

bren2709

Made email enquiry about building a downhill wheelset, I was providing the hubs and the rest was sorted by Dave Hinde.
    The next day I received an email back asking me to contact hem to discuss, which I did.
    The service and advice prior to placing my order was first class.
    As was the quality of the build and postal service. Oh and a great price!

Why are people quick to post negative and potentially damaging comments that could over time ruin someone’s lively hood?

imnotverygood

Why are people quick to post negative and potentially damaging comments that could over time ruin someone’s lively hood?

I’m sorry, but this guy has a shed load of previous.

bren2709

So what’s yours + or –
    Just think a lot of STW members are like sheep to quick to follow the leader or initial post, rather than speak out or defend! 😕

Like i said my dealings were first class and I would defo use again! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just think a lot of STW members are like sheep to quick to follow the leader or initial post, rather than speak out or defend!

OK, as before, DH is a shyster of the highest order. He’s done it time and time again. Google it if you don’t believe us.
    And it’s not just poor service either, I was laughed at, been rude to and had the phone slammed down on me twice because I dared to enquire where my forks were after a month.
    I seriously wish the guy would rot in hell and go bust. If he was the only bike shop in the UK, I’d give up cycling and walk, Halfords wipe the floor with him for service.

His old ebay account used to have some interesting comments in the feedback section as well, insults to customers, all sorts of stuff.

How the hell he’s still in business I’ll never know, when good LBSs go to the wall right left and centre.

Seriously, if it goes wrong with him, you’ll wonder what the **** has hit you.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Just think a lot of STW members are like sheep to quick to follow the leader or initial post, rather than speak out or defend!

It’s not just STW, just search for Dave Hinde on any cycling forum (bikemagic, ctc, yacf etc etc) or ebay

heumena
    Free Member

I’ve got one escape: I paid with my Mastercard and I can make use of the ‘MoneyBackService’. Get my money back when there is no (online)delivery… So I give him one week 😉

hora
    Free Member

Bren2709 Never again after my experience. Luckily I was in London at the time and didnt drive. Such threats now and I’d be in the shopping kicking people hard up the arse asking them to repeat the disgusting attitude.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got one escape: I paid with my Mastercard and I can make use of the ‘MoneyBackService’. Get my money back when there is no (online)delivery… So I give him one week

I’d used a credit card. Got my mine back n about 3-4 days if I recall correctly

imnotverygood

As PP says, the problem with Hinde is not that you can’t get good service: You can & I have no idea how often he gives a good service, it could well be that a vast majority of transactions are ok. It is how he reacts when things don’t go well.

I have never dealt with him, but a friend ordered wheels from ebay some time ago which never showed up. After the usual rigmarole with DH not providing the goods my mate left negative (accurate) feedback. Not only did Hinde leave negative feedback in response but also combined it with deliberate, offensive lies. At the time we looked back through the negative feedback that Hinde left for customers & either he had been extraordinarily unlucky in the people who used his ebay shop or he had a policy of trying to denigrate anyone who had a problem. I’ll leave you to guess which I think it was. It is also interesting to note that the business had an ASA ruling against him although to be fair this is going back a few years.

It can be tricky to decide from the internet how good or bad a business is from comments on the web. No shop is perfect & there is always someone who is going to be unhappy with the service they receive. However in Hinde’s case it is the sheer violume and the consistency of the complaints: When things go wrong with Hinde you can guarantee you will get abuse instead of customer service.

hora
    Free Member

No one at Merlin has ever been rude to me.

I can’t remember any shop that has ever been even vaguely rude to me. So its definitely rare IMO.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Because most of us have been under his ‘price spell’ and have learnt our lessons. First time I ordered from him, actually my ex missus did as a present , she was told again and again it was sent ( before the dawn of the internet, mind you, so no real feedback) took 3 weeks for a front wheel to appear that was a ‘stock wheel’ in the first instance. We sort of accepted there was an issue, so a while later a friend ordered a pair of road wheels. Weirdly we faced the same issues with timescale and a rude phone slamming person on the other end of the line. Wheels turned up so pi$$ed, they were the worst I had ever seen. I had to loosen and rebuild them myself. Lesson learnt and then with the internet now rife with poor feedback , I understood we werent the only ones. We were lucky as well with timescale judging by other punters stories !!
    So not quick to negative a person, who we ‘have’ actually had dealings with.

waldo1
    Free Member

all of them in the place have selective, stinking attitude. anyone i spoke to could not’deal’ with my refund. James, the guy i dealt with stopped answering the phone and was always unavailable. no one returned my calls as promised. i paid on credit card, so i got my money back that way finally this week. i placed the order on the 14th of december! dhr told me the money would be refunded in 3-5 days. yeah right.
    bunch of ****.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve had a few custom built wheels off of DH, all have arrived in a day or two & remained true for ages, I’m just about to order some blue Pro2 Evos on Arch EXs – He is cheaper than anyone else (Bikeoutlet York said they’d beat any UK price but have not replied to three emails) I’ll pay by credit card so can get a full refund if they are any probs.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Oh no, surely Dave Hinde is still not in business, is he ?

Yes had dealings with him over some £400 Stans wheels i ordered off his website a few months back. I really do believe he is a common thief !!
    He takes our money so quick and really has no intention of sending the goods. There must be hundreds of people that do not peruse in getting their money back and put it down to experience and DH just keeps the money.
    In my case, just thank God for Paypal, but without them i wouldn’t have known where to start.

Now don’t start me off with Simply Electronics, another worldwide common thief, Google them and stay away ❗

spacemonkey

DH horror stories stretch back 10 yrs or so on here alone. I was put off then and have been ever since.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘another Dave hinde topic?’ is closed to new replies.