• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aP.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Another cyclist killed in London.
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

That is 4 in 2015 and its only the middle of February 😥

The location of this latest incident is nightmare on a bike, correctly described in the piece as a death trap.

BBC

EDIT All 4 deaths this year have involved lorries

Flaperon

Tipper lorry. *tick*
    Female cyclist *tick*
    London *tick*
    Left turn *tick*

And once again the magic combination of lost, frustrated, angry, incompetent driver coupled with poor visibility, bad junction design, and poor positioning / decision making from the rider combine to cause another death.

Apparently the bike “superhighway” isn’t going to go ahead because some **** who works in the palace can’t face the road being a different colour.

kimbers

had to cycle through aldgate yesterday and construction sites make it dang hairy round there, the number of hgvs bombing it through london is silly considering he size of the streets

superhighways are a joke anyway
    painting a bit of road barclays blue, makes it no safer

I see Borris is trying to resurrect Kens segregated cycle lanes, he previously ditched, but theres a lot of opposition from the city only way to make things safer but there just isnt the space

MoreCashThanDash

Sad to hear of another tragedy.

I suspect that flaperon has covered it adequately

Have they held the inquests from that awful autumn in 2013 when half a dozen cyclists died? Not sure I’ve seen any coverage giving any sort of definitive explanation as to the circumstances of any of them, which you’d think would be helpful in establishing causes, patterns and hopefully solutions.

aracer
    Free Member

How utterly predictable 🙁

From reading the article, I expect the cyclist made a mistake, but that shouldn’t be a capital offence.

MoreCashThanDash

Either the rider or the driver or both made a mistake.

It shouldn’t result in anyone’s death, I agree.

But until we start seeing the full circumstances of these incidents from the Police/Coroners enquiries, we can’t start taking the correct and proportional action to try and prevent it happening again.

Without the full facts, all we get are suppositions, experiences of near misses and knee jerk reactions from both sides.

oldnpastit

Horrible.

crazy-legs
    TiRed

🙁 I knew the last one who was killed and he was an experienced cyclist. RIP Akis and the three other riders.

brakes
    Free Member

they should probably have stopped bikes going through that section, or given them an alternative. there’s just no escape.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Daily Mail reader: were they wearing a helmet?, shouldn’t be cutting up the inside, probably jumped a red light, don’t pay tax / insurance. Etc

Haven’t checked the comments on the Mail, but pretty much will be these I bet.

hjghg5
    Free Member

It’s depressing how formulaic these are getting. You see “London cyclist killed” and you expect a tipper truck 🙁

jkomo

Awful.
    How hard is it to mount a couple of cameras to monitor these huge blind spots on tippers?
    I bet you could pick up a kit from Maplins for a hundred quid.
    Boris could make it mandatory in London.

project
    Free Member

How hard is it to mount a couple of cameras to monitor these huge blind spots on tippers?
    I bet you could pick up a kit from Maplins for a hundred quid.

Cameras are already fitted to most coaches and nearly all buses to ensure the outcome of any colision is known,due to the large number of cash for bash claims, from passengers on board a pcv.
    It would be so easy to fit cameras to trucks as well, but stoping them from being damaged by driver swho dont want them may well be a problem,tipper truck drivers tend to get a bonus per load and may well take chances to drop a load and pick up a new load, strangely bus drivers like them as it protects them from malicious claims off passenmgers and other road users.

fourbanger
    Free Member

deadkenny, regarding “shouldn’t be cutting up the inside”, I’ll agree with that. The fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the road planners though. Advanced stop lines for cyclists are accessed through a lane on the left, putting and training cyclist to be right in the blind spot of any large vehicle turning left. Crazy design. I don’t know the specifics of this story, but it’s a common enough theme that someone in charge should have a **** good rethink.

Condolences to rider and family.

tonyg2003

Akis was a friend of a friend (although I rode with him a couple of times). A very experienced cyclist. Terrible

aP
    Free Member

With all the works going on round there at the moment that junction is pretty hairy. I’m surprised there haven’t been more as the traffic fairly races round and it’s not one I’d choose to cycle on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclist killed in London.’ is closed to new replies.