Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Another cyclist killed
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Cyclist killed in Kent

The police have arrested the driver.

It occurred at about 4am,

I’ll be watching to see what happens with this one.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I heard about this through my wife as the description of the poor chap involved sounded very much like myself.

I’m finding it a touch odd that it’s being reported on national news on the BBC radio stations. Slow news day?

patentlywill
    Free Member

Christian Smith RIP gives more details. Please donate to his Justgiving.com page if you feel able (I know nothing about the guy other than he was doing an epic ride to raise money for the mental health charity MIND)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

BBC link here: http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-26705915

Christian Smith was raising money for Mind. His just giving Page has hit 10k since his death.

https://www.justgiving.com/KentEpic/ Christian Smith – Just Giving

gogg
    Free Member

Tragic, of course this driver will get banged up because she was pissed, but if she had just been careless….

RIP Christian, my condolences to your family & friends.

project
    Free Member

So very sad for the cyclists family and freinds another cyclist dies at the hands of a pissed driver.

Instant ban,remand into custody and car crushed for all road deaths, thats what should happen,

iolo
    Free Member

So very sad.
    Cycling to collect money for MIND.
    A cause close to my heart as I suffer mental health issues.
    RIP

mrmo
    Free Member

Oh crap what have I done….6 days to go. Birthday drinks in Kings Head on 29th March if I am still alive by then

16/03/14 19:19

RIP

hora
    Free Member

Speechless. I hope she does proper time not a suspended sentance the dickhead waste of space.

yossarian
    Free Member

That junction is less than a mile from where I live. Have spent a worrying couple of hours touching base with my riding friends. Stupid, stupid woman. I had to deal with a car accident last Sunday night, a drunk driver smashed into a wall right outside the pub I was in. Her plus two elderly passengers, one unconscious with a facial injury and the other with severe chest pain. That was fun to sort out for me and mrs yossarian until the paramedics, police and fire brigade pitched up.

RIP to the fella and great sympathies to his family. It should not have happened.

AdamW
    Free Member

I know it is knee jerk but I get so wound up by these things. No doubt the 18 year old is devastated but someone lost their life.

If she is found to have been drink driving then a mahoosive fine, a ban from driving for life and not just a week and her car crushed in front of her. Oh and she should have to pay for it to be crushed.

Sadly though I guess she’ll end up with a two week ban and a £350 fine or thereabouts. 🙁

iolo
    Free Member

She should be made to sit with the family of the poor guy at his funeral.

wwaswas

I hope the level of donations to his just giving page give his family some comfort.

Rest in peace.

gazman
    Free Member

Reading the report on BBC news it says the GIRL has been bailed until July 26th. Imo she may never want to drive again for a long time, however she might have no morals and get behind the wheel again, therefore what is stopping her getting pissed and driving again in the 4 months she is on bail. RIP Christian you were supporting a great cause and hopefully some of the stigma will be taken away from mental health issues sooner rather than later.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Donated as a small gesture of support for a fellow fundraising cyclist. Sad news. 🙁

grantway
    Free Member

Very sad indeed

Maybe a cyclist group/club could complete on his behalf

wwaswas

Donations up to £34000 now.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Sad news indeed, well worth the donation 🙁 … RIP Fella

russjp
    Free Member

Less than a mile from my house, I saw the emergency services on their way to scene whilst riding to work just after 4am, feels to close to home and makes me feel quite vulnerable riding to work at a time of morning I normally feel safe being so quiet.

tightywighty
    Free Member

£42,669.67 now.

RIP rider.

epicyclo

Donating is the best way to show how much we care about road murders, as well as helping the charity and making a good memorial to Christian.

theflatboy
    Free Member

The total on the Justgiving now is amazing and still climbing. Small comfort to his family, but certainly a substantial amount of money is now going to his chosen charity.

patentlywill
    Free Member

£50,000 and rising

mudmonster
    Free Member

Just heard that a second person has been arrested.

scotroutes

? Is it going to turn out that the girl wasn’t actually driving?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Two cars racing?

Passenger dicking about – pulling handbrake?

Supervising a learner?

tpbiker
    Free Member

surely if they’re pissed and killed someone thy’ll go to prison for a few years at least? And quite right to….

scumbag

iolo
    Free Member

Let’s not make any assumptions shall we. The truth will come out soon enough. A bit of respect would be nice nice.

natrix
    Free Member

The truth will come out soon enough

Unfortunately, experience of other cases shows that is unlikely.

gobuchul
    Free Member

How about we click through to the BBC website and it may put the story up the “Most read” top 10? Not sure how many clicks it will take to affect it mind?

It may help raise more donations?

BBC News Link

epicyclo

gobuchul – Member
    How about we click through to the BBC website and it may put the story up the “Most read” top 10? Not

Great idea.

iolo
    Free Member

I wish I could do the same thing he was trying to do. My mental health issues meant I struggle to get on my bike. I would so love to get on but haven’t been on for nearly 3 years and put on 5 stone.
    Maybe we do an STW road ride. Snowdonia or Styria,Austria best for me. I would need a bit of time to train and it would be a slow ride.

Nobby

Just down the road from work & a colleague is currently training for London-Paris, news didn’t say what charity just that he was a fund-raising cyclist so we feared the worst.

RIP and condolences to family & friends.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Let’s not make any assumptions shall we. The truth will come out soon enough. A bit of respect would be nice nice.

If thats aimed at me I’m merely stating what is on the BBC site. No mention of drink involved in the original link.

BBC Report

hydrophil
    Free Member

His Justgiving page is over £64k now!
    I like others never knew him but wanted to show my support for a fellow cyclist with a donation
    Lets hope it reaches the £100k mark

theflatboy
    Free Member

hydrophil – Member

Lets hope it reaches the £100k mark

I was thinking the same thing.

wwaswas

Update from Kent Police with some reaction from his family

http://www.kent.police.uk/news/latest_news/140323_rtc.html

project
    Free Member

The families tribute.

Family tribute

Christian’s family has issued the following tribute: ‘Even in the depths of our grief we are moved beyond belief at the outpouring of love and support that has been shown by so many, especially as most didn’t even know Christian. His story has touched cyclists and mental health sufferers, families and individuals across the world.

‘He is a husband, father, son, brother, uncle, cousin and friend who will always be so dearly loved and remembered.

‘We are all so proud of everything that he has achieved. His death was tragic and we pray that no one else has to suffer similar sorrow and heartache. Christian had a great sense of humour, he loved life, his family and was a dedicated cyclist.’

wwaswas

Nearly at £75k now.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Donations are slowing down, but still ticking over. Hopefully it will still reach £100k.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclist killed’ is closed to new replies.