Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Another Curtis XC9
  • Farticus

After along gestation period, 2 weeks ago my XC9 arrived.

Unashamedly based on Candodavid’s original but with 44mm head tube, 30.9mm seat tube (for greater dropper options) and sliders rather than EBB. Geometry based on Pace RC129, Niner SIR9 and Candodavid’s XC9 and pretty much the reach of a ‘Large’ and the height (head & seat tube lengths) of a ‘Medium’.

Most of the time was taken sorting out the dropouts. I wanted Paragons – and the frame does use PMW slider inserts – but this required custom dropouts to allow the brass joints. Gary re-designed these to bring the slider “inside’ the stays rather than hanging out the back of the frame. I’m well chuffed with the look.

Polished finish under clear powdercoat looks stunning (to my eyes anyway).

Built up over the last fortnight with much Helicopter tape. Stem still isn’t right and cables to be shortened, and KS Lev orientation to be adjusted … and crud / RRP products to be added to fuglify it. First ride (after a year off with injury) was a blast despite the Reba pressure being totally wrong.

It rides like a bike, and just what I wanted. So far KS Lev has impressed (although fitting and the remote was difficult), Bagnoli cassette parts not yet right (shifting is hesitant so more adjustment to get it right), Reba pressure guidelines are way off the mark, and XT brakes are brilliant.

Can’t recommend Curtis Bikes enough if you want to go custom. It’ll cost you more but you do get exactly what you ask for with no compromises.

terrahawk
    Free Member

dang…..!

tomhoward

Like!

Candodavid has a lot to answer for, my next HT will be based on his!

messiah
    Free Member

I like that 8)

binners

That looks absolutely bloody lovely! That frame is a work of art!

Farticus

I did feel guilty getting it dirty on its first outing, and I’ll cry when I scratch it.

miketually
    Free Member

That is really rather fab.

Yetiman
    Free Member

That’s lovely. Nice build too.

DanW
    Free Member

Looks really amazing! I bet it rides even better 🙂

neilforrow

OooOOooOoooff. That’s nice.

40t on the back?

Needs a skinnier saddle. That chunck of a WTB lets it down. Get a knife or sommin’. I’d also de-sticker the rims.

Very nice. Want.

packer
    Free Member

Nice! The polished/lacquered finish is awesome.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Oooh very nice, how much?

Farticus

Oooh very nice, how much?

Depends on your build, exact spec. etc. but not cheap. Take your guide from the Curtis website, and then head north.

wwaswas

there’s something ‘just right’ about proper steel hardtail frames 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

Muhahaha, looks damn good to me

bradleyf
    Free Member

Looks lovely dude,I was chuffed with my 26″ single speed too Gary is a real dude.

I feel a Curtis appreciation thread coming along.

djtom
    Free Member

Beautiful.

I’m still in love with my Curtis Super-X Team Howies bike, after what must be 11 years of ownership. I don’t do much dirt jumping any more, but it’s one bike I can’t see myself ever selling, even if I have only ridden it once in the last year. Love Curtises (Curti?)

Duffer
    Free Member

That frame looks bloody fantastic. I love how the brass shows through the lacquer. That frame with a lefty and singlespeed is close to perfect, in my opinion.

Out of interest, why did you spec the dropouts, only to build it with gears?

tomhoward

Look at them! That’s why…

robowns
    Free Member

The frame is absolutely mint. I think it really needs nicer cranks though, they look too chunky on that frame.

Farticus

Sliders for keeping options open. It’ll be rigid SS in the winter, geared and suspended in the summer – dropper may be seasonal too.

I was tempted to get routing for Rohloff included too (as you can get Rohloff compatible sliders from Paragon) but that would have festooned it with cable guides, and having had a Rohloff before I’m not sure I’d go back to one.

It’s 1 x only as there’s no front mech stop. That keeps the top tube guides down to 3 and keeps it neat and tidy.

Cranks – agree. Middleburn would be the ideal, but too pricey at the moment. Did have some WI ENOs but I want external BB (as I have a couple of Phil Wood units and they are rather nice).

cardo

Like that ! Inspiring for a future SS build I reckon.

Candodavid
    Free Member

SS option…you want a refresher on mine?

tomhoward

No, no, no, NO!

Yes….

Candodavid
    Free Member

oh…ok then, comes in at 19.8 lbs

Duffer
    Free Member

Mmmmm, singlespeed…

Candodavid – Got a build thread for that one? Also, did you buy a red Kona off me a couple of years ago?

bradleyf
    Free Member

I do quite like the dropouts,does keep you’re options open.I knew mine will always be single speed so Gary and I came up with some micro horizontal dropouts.Also nice to see the simple integrated seat clamp i think it’s a subtle winner.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Another Curtis XC9’ is closed to new replies.