Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • another cross bike Q – gearing.
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Looking at the focus mares and its got 50/34 compact chainset whereas most of the others i've looked at have something like 46/36 rings. Is 50 tooth quite high for a cross bike then? I'll be using it for some road stuff as well so maybe a bigger ring will be fine, but was just trying to work out if i may need to change anything on it before i order one!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

My CX bike has the 50/34 compact – it seemed to be pretty much standard when I bought mine a couple of years back. I find it fine for both CX racing and winter club riding/light touring.

46/36 seems very low for a 700c wheel. Which bikes were you looking at?

meeeee
    Free Member

cannondale CX9 and kona Jake the snake are both 46/36 according to wheelbase website, and the other one i looked at the trek X0-1 is 46/38.

But i reckon the wiggle focus mares is the best deal around, even if i did have to change any chainrings / cassette to get an ideal gearing.

JoB
    Free Member

i found the 50/34 jump really annoying, changing at the front leading to frantic rear gear shifts to maintain a similar cadence, but the 34 meant climbing things was a breeze, i'd swap the 50 for something smaller if it was me

apart from that the Focus is a cracking bike

AdamM
    Free Member

I believe that a typical 'cross double chainset for Euro racing is 48-38 or 46-38, or something very close to that. Although a lot of them use a single chainring anyway.

The 'norm' for a road compact is 50-34. I think a 50 is too big for proper 'cross riding where acceleration is more important than outright top speed, but a standard compact is probably a good compromise for a 'cross bike that is also to be used on the road.

aP
    Free Member

I've changed the big ring on my new cx to 48, my old race bike was 46/38, but with big blocks now you can get away more.

meehaja
    Free Member

When I'm racing 'cross I use the inner ring (36 on mine) for the whole race as I'm unfit. When I'm on the road I find the 46 spins out at about 35mph. When I get round to it I might put a 52-36 on, but to be honest unless you're a speed demon i'm not sure its worth it (for me anyway)

Slight hijack, for cross with a single ring, does anybody do a 38 or a 40 tooth ring?

AdamM
    Free Member

the 34 meant climbing things was a breeze

What, like the Devil's Dyke Jo? 😉

JoB
    Free Member

i had a 39 for that, less of a breeze, more of a strong headwind

nbt

Mine has a 50-34 on

bikerbruce
    Free Member

on the continent no one uses more than a 46.ever…..far to big.
    average is 38-44 what sven uses in the dry and bart wellen uses same if not 38-42 in the wet?
    i have 44-38 and works well with 12-27 out back…..

Handsomedog
    Free Member

mmm thats interesting, didn't really seem to be a choice when I bought mine. It has seen quite alot of road use though so its come in handy. In fact I swapped the cassette for a 11-25 I think.

Going to be using it mostly for racing this winter so might try it with a slightly lower gear.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘another cross bike Q – gearing.’ is closed to new replies.