Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Another childhood heror gone RIP John Noakes
  • grahamh
    Free Member
    martinhutch

Dammit…RIP

deadkenny
    Free Member

Get down Shep!

RIP 🙁

He had Alzheimer’s for some years I believe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe, such a nice bloke.
    He was instrumental in Children’s TV, God rest his soul.

Drac

83 not a bad innings and led quite a life.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad news a wonderful man, it’s a terrible disease Alzheimers. As his family said whilst he will be missed his passing was in some ways a blessing and a release from ill-health.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh dear. Seemed a top chap. 🙁

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

BBC news just did a short article about him.Stated he was suffering from Alzheimer’s in recent years.
    He also set the record for the highest civilian freefall jump.
    That climb up Nelson’s column would never happen these days! 😯
    RIP John Noakes

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh dear. One of my childhood heroes. Best Blue Peter presenter there ever was.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I met him once at a reading given by Jim Perrin of his new book ‘The Villain – The LIfe of Don Whillans’ I was thirty something at the time but it was one of those moments you cherish. He was charming and down to earth and made me feel confident of the good things life has to offer.

RIP buddy.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Shame RIP. 🙁

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YFCJETmwI[/video]

mogrim

A shame, another part of my childhood gone. RIP.

Cougar

Tribute elsewhere on the Beeb. Interesting read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27050895

jamj1974

A great part of my childhood. Saw him on Blue Peter, but I was a little too young to see most of it. Go With Noakes was a different thing altogether, it was on weekday school holiday mornings as a repeat. I loved seeing all the things he had a go at – really inspirational. I also remember him breaking down on TV whilst talking about the then recent death of Shep – it was such a shame to see, but so very understandable….

RIP John. Thanks for opening my eyes a little bit to the exciting outdoors.

oldnpastit

Inspirational is a good word to describe him.

oldracer
    Free Member

Inspirational to me….

Down Shep…

😥

Nipper99
    Free Member

I remember his bobsleigh bruises live. Even the dog looks embarrassed. 😀

neilthewheel

Very sad. Noakesy was a friend to most kids of my age. He never patronised and always seemed warm and funny.

footflaps

That video of Nelson’s column is something else, over hanging ladders with no safety rope or harness, he must have been crapping himself!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

That video of Nelson’s column is something else, over hanging ladders with no safety rope or harness, he must have been crapping himself!

😯 😯
    I wonder what they would have had him doing if Mountain bikes & the like were popular in his time!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Oh dear. One of my childhood heroes. Best Blue Peter kids TV presenter there ever was.

..and one of the best presenters of anything

All the above +1

kennyp
    Free Member

Re that Nelson’s Column climb. I’d seen that before years ago but only realised today that there were no ropes or harnesses involved. That has just increased my respect for the chap tenfold. And, for that matter, for Terry the cameraman and the others up there doing the actual work.

leffeboy

That climb 😯 – Massive respect

And yes, he really was THE children’s presenter of that generation. Different era

oldracer
    Free Member

Top post aracer…

Must have dust in my eye…..

convert

To a lad of the 70s John Noakes was just about the ultimate virtual uncle. In your living room twice a week doing cool stuff, being funny, kind and just generally an inspiration. I’m glad the suffering is over and hope he realised how much he was adored by my generation.

Also- that climb – balls of steel!

Alphabet

A lovely chap – RIP. 😥

MoreCashThanDash

I’d forgotten the Nelson’s column climb. Remember the bobsleigh bruises though. Inspirational to kids my age

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it was a fabulous post from them.

I remember that Nelson’s column climb, but it’s quite incredible to look at now – the ropes are hawser laid when they are using them!

jamj1974

To a lad of the 70s John Noakes was just about the ultimate virtual uncle. In your living room twice a week doing cool stuff, being funny, kind and just generally an inspiration.

Exactly.

downshep

Hugely inspiring all through childhood. Kinda gutted.

sargey

The baby elephant in the studio ” he’s on me foot” then drags the keeper of who then slips in elephant wee.

Classic stuff from a class bloke.

seadog101

Really sad to hear that he’s gone, but I have so m any great memories from watching BP. Not just the exciting adventures, but all the stuff that was made and done in the studio.

Met him once. I won’t bore you with the details, but I was properly star-struck. I was 26 at the time.

wilburt
    Free Member

RIP Noakes

I wish my kids had such a positive role model.

teasel
    Free Member

I watched something last night – can’t remember what – but Purves was saying about how Noakes on-screen persona was not the real man but something he created for the audience. In real life he was much more intense and serious, seeking out solitude rather than any glam.

RIP

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Another childhood heror gone RIP John Noakes’ is closed to new replies.