Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Another car question -£4.5k Fiesta/Swift/other?
  • Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Finally time to replace the old Almera Tino. Wife wants a petrol hatchback for 15 mile each way commute and around town. After usual stuff like economical and reliable but also fun to drive. Lot of love out there for the Swifts, I had read that the interiors were a bit low rent but looked at one yesterday and was still surprised at just how cheap all the plastics were.

Was thinking of a Mazda2 but they aren’t supposed to be much fun to drive

Had the common reluctance to go for a Ford but the more reviews I look at the more it sounds like they really are the sweet spot. For the budget could sneak into a 1.0 Ecoboost but then you have a turbo to go wrong and they are notorious for not returning anything like the advertised mpg. So thinking maybe a slightly older 1.4 or 1.6 and pay a bit more VED would be a better option?

Opinions on above please. She doesn’t like the Civic or Jazz for whatever reason. Dislike Corsas too but worth considering? Still avoiding anything French. All the VAGS seem expensive for what they are, would still like a few modern extras for the money.

If going for the Fiesta get the 1.0. It’s a fun engine that suits the Fiesta chassis. I like Fiesta’s so it’s the one I’d go for.

Older Mazda 2’s were basically a re-bodied Fiesta so shouldn’t be much worse to drive. The swift has always had a good rep as you say.

Outside that Seat’s don’t seem to command the same daft VAG tax so worth a look at the Ibiza? Toyota Yaris last forever so worth a test drive.

Tallpaul

Fiesta is definitely the right answer. If you don’t fancy the 1.0 Ecoboost, how about the 1.25 NA engine? £4000 will get you a tidy facelifted Mk7.

Honda Civic or Jazz at that price.

100inch

Volvo C30?

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Fiesta is the answer, my wife has one too. They are great little cars.
    Ecoboost engine is the one to go for but if not then the 1.4 petrol is also okay (thats what we have).

Don’t get the 1.25 its utterly gutless, its in the range to tempt new drivers with lower insurance groups.

They are generally very reliable, but check the bonnet catch, they fail all the time. Only other criticism is the interiors are a bit dull and the buttons look like they were fired in with a shotgun

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Good info, ta. One review said the 1.6 with 120bhp is great to drive, same VED and only a few mpg worse off. Worth considering? 1.4 that looks good locally, will take a look at the weekend

Possibly the best value for money at that sort of price point is a Fabia; you’ll get a lot more car for your £4.5k. For the outdoors user, it is also available as an estate that has room for two large bikes once the seats are down.
    Best engine is probably the 1.2 petrol TSi, plenty poke and the car handles nicely too.
    Very reliable, provided you avoid the 1.4 petrol engines that are built in Spain.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

OH has an older 1.4 fiesta, its a little go-kart! And mostly it’s reliable. The occasional bit of trim comes off, it drinks oil, seat release catches break annually, heater fan resistors blow because the bearing in the fan fails, but its a 16 year old car so its all kinda expected stuff. The actual mecahicals of it are pretty robust and its not rusted.

Added bonus is that ford do enough unusual colours and specials that you can drive something that isnt yet another grey/black VAG that youll never find in a car park.

Next time we would probably get a focus or mondeo as her car but thats just so i could ditch the c-max and go down to 1 ‘car’ (excluding the classic mg and desire for a campervan, but i dont really need one for commuting daily.

Subscriber

Went and looked at a few today, drove a Corsa Which was “OK”. Sat in a Fiesta which was discounted due to driving position which was a shame as looked like fun to me. Then had a sit in a B-Max, she was quite taken with the driving position and sliding doors. She has also come round to the idea of a Jazz now. My head says Jazz but her heart says B-Max, hmmm. You can get an Ecoboost B-Max for 4.5k, just, but buying at the bottom end of a price range is never a good idea IMO.

So, anyone got a higher mile B-Max?

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

Our ’07 Jazz has been abused solidly for a decade and is still going strong so I endorse them wholeheartedly.

Panda?

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Panda?

Scores zero in the NCAP tests…….

The again I drive an old MG whos only modern concessions to safety are a steel reinforced bumper and telescopic steering column!

flannol

So, anyone got a higher mile B-Max?

Not high mileage (at all) but my mum was also taken by a B-Max. She just bought the 125 on 30k, titanium, for £9k from main dealer

What a brilliant car. The practicality they’ve made available with the lack of B-pillars and 100% folding front passenger seat is really impressive

It’s technically just a fiesta but it’s significantly better than a fiesta, practicality wise, etc. Probably rides a bit better too (rides, not drives)

Also fairly happy she’s finally in a 5* car

Subscriber

Just to round this out bought a 62 plate 1.0 Zetec B-Max with 28k for 5 grand yesterday. Few marks but drives like a new car. Bit boring in navy blue but beggars can’t be choosers, also viewed a Titanium with more toys and more miles for less money but it had been abused so walked away. Hopefully will be reliable for a good few years, she’s well pleased anyway.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

It should be reliable, all the mechanical bits are well proven, many of them will be shared with plenty of other fiesta/focus etc.

Subscriber

Hope so, felt really tight to drive, like a new car really. New battery, discs and pads. Driving over in the old Almera you had to use core strength and grab handles for the passenger around tight corners, by comparison the B-max seems to have plenty of the Fiesta DNA as it really encouraged you to fling it into bends. Surprising for a mini MPV. But fun!

sharkbait

Interesting to see what MPG you get as we can’t get more than 44.5 out of our 1.0 ecoboost fiesta!!
    It’s great fun and I often take it instead of my car.

Subscriber

I’ll be pleased with that to be honest – we bought it with eyes open on real world mpg.

Inbred456

Swift Sport 1.6 or Mini Cooper for driving pleasure, character. Most mini’s can look very good for their age so check service history. Jazz is one of the dullest cars I’ve driven. Vag group 1.2 Tsi very capable and easy to drive. Had a Fabia for 3yrs. 4.5K might be stretching it a bit though for a good one. Choose on condition and service history not necessarily mileage.

retro83

Tallpaul

Fiesta is definitely the right answer. If you don’t fancy the 1.0 Ecoboost, how about the 1.25 NA engine? £4000 will get you a tidy facelifted Mk7.

Don’t get the 1.25 it’s absolutely cack. Used to be a good engine in the Mk6 and Mk5. They’ve done something to it in the Mk7 and it’s flat as a fart.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.