Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another camera thread – Sony RX100 mk1 for £275? RAW compact alternatives?
  • RustySpanner

Sorry.

Instead of dragging the SLR around.

A true compact, not a bridge or mirrorless system camera.

The Sony seems to be very well regarded and I’ve seen some lovely images.

Anything better at the price?
    I’d like RAW and as much manual control as possible.

The Panasonic TZ60/70/80 seem pretty well regarded and have a viewfinder.

Any of the above significantly better than a secondhand, well looked after Canon G9/11?

Ta.

xora

Olympus Tough TG4 does RAW and previous models were tough as hell!

twisty

There are only a few true competitors to the rx100 that have a 1″ sensor and are completely pocketable. So the question is would be happy with a slightly larger camera? As that opens up other options of better handling more capable compact cameras like the panasonic lx7.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Amazon still have Nikon Coolpix A available for under £300 – definitely worth a look – have captured some lovely images with mine.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not much about with that kind of sensor at that diminutive size. Depends on yr criteria? Zoom lens or prime?

I had a love (IQ. Small form) / hate (ergonomics, handling, menu, fragility) thing for my RX100 and it developed a lens error so I bought a used Pentax MX1. Couldnt be more different – much larger heavier, slower ‘compact’ camera, smaller sensor. But what a joy to use it churns out beautiful images, like witchcraft.

Sorry that doesn’t really answer your question. What are your requirements beyond stated and pocketability?

Matt-P
    Free Member

I had the Sony and loved the pictures but always found myself fighting the interface. In the end I moved it on and went for a Canon G7X – I’ve been happy with that for a while. The new version is out and the first gen one is now falling in price.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Was just about to say thwe same about the Canon G7x.

The main thing wrong with the first gen was burst speed I think.

And movies weren’t so good, but the interface is a lot better (Sony appeals to Geeks, Canon to photographers seems to be the summary), there is more reach to the zoom, but it might be softer at wide angle (sample to sample varience seems ot occur on both this and the Sony from what I’ve seen).

beanum

I’ve got a Mk1 and love it. At that price it’s hard to beat.
    With the Function menu set up how I like it I can change settings pretty quickly. For general photography I use my DSLR less and less now…
    I would recommend getting a grip though, I got the Sony one but there are third party ones available…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d like RAW and as much manual control as possible.

Arguably beyond the limits of compact but not much bigger than the G9, so maybe not, a used Fuji x100? Has the ergonomics to make the most of manual control and an apsc sensor. The downside (or upside) being a fixed lens rather than a zoom.

failedengineer

I’m impressed with my Olympus Stylus 1s. But then again, I haven’t got a DSLR as well.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The G9X is competitively priced atm – but I read that it’s more touch-screen driven than nanual controls?

benman
    Free Member

As tonyplym said, Nikon Coolpix A on Amazon is a stonking deal. Used for £255 or new for £295. APS-C sensor and an excellent fixed length lens (if you can deal with the limitations of a fixed lens).

If I didn’t already have a Ricoh GR, I’d definitely be picking one up.

nathb
    Free Member

Sent you a link to a new RX100 for £200 🙂

Came up in my searches for a camera after my thread which went horribly out of budget haha.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have the Lumix TZ70 and like it a lot. Sensor size is small though so consequently the aperture range is very limited. Zoom range is huge and results at full extension are pretty good to be honest-not DSLR standard but all the same pretty impressive. Stabilisation at full range is excellent. Low light performance is pretty good as well but again limited by aperture-the smaller pixel count scores here allegedly over the TZ80 which has more Megapixels. lots of manual options as well as RAW.Not quite pocket size but perfectly acceptable. Viewfinder is a BIG plus but is a bit stuttery at longer zooms with stabilisation on.

RustySpanner

Thanks all.
    Going to have a play with a few.

I think I’d prefer a zoom, tbh.
    My wife will be using it for work as well and though a high quality prime appeals, it might be a bit limiting.

Size is a consideration, as is price.

I have used the old (small sensor) Canon G Series quite a lot, lovely things but still quite pricey secondhand for an 5 or 6 year old digital.

The Olympus is a good shout too, the toughness appeals.

Will see which feels nicer in the hand.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Two other very strong options for you if you can live with the fixed 28mm prime lens are the Ricoh GR and the Fuji X70. Both have an APS-C sensor inside, so the same as you wiill likely have in your DSLR, shoot RAW naturally and have full manual control. Both will also accept a hotshoe mounted optical view finder and have built in flash as well.

The case for them is the image quality will be significantly better than the Sony or other 1″ sensor type cameras but obviously the down side is no zoom on the lens. However, the much better IQ does allow you more options to crop to the detail level you want. Not ideal but then you want a small camera you can put in your pocket, which is possible with both these cameras. Add a zoom lens onto one of these and that stops being possible.

I have the Ricoh and am frequently stunned by how well it performs:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jkc5os]That wonderful pool of light that hits our bathroom right around bathtime[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LoRuZL]A Monroe Moment[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mi8U3h]Big Sister[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

jimdubleyou

I’ve still got an LX-3 which has been pretty good.

I was tempted by the LX100 (the latest I think) but went for a new SLR instead.

AlexSimon

Is there any Sony cashback available at the moment?
    I got double cashback on mine from John Lewis last December which brought it to £195

cp

Sent you a link to a new RX100 for £200

would appreciate it if you could send me that..!

nathb
    Free Member

cp – Member
    would appreciate it if you could send me that..!

Depends if the OP wants it or not, there’s only one in stock.

cp

fair enough

nathb
    Free Member

cp – Member
    fair enough

YHM

RustySpanner

Hiya.

Ta for the link Nath but I think it had already gone by the time I opened it this morning.

nathb
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner
    Hiya.

Ta for the link Nath but I think it had already gone by the time I opened it this morning.

Nah there’s still two there, the boxes just have minor damage, but if you have a student account or know someone with one you can get 20% off.

If you’re around London/can collect I don’t mind ordering it for you.

That’s how I was getting mine so cheap in my camera thread. 😆

RustySpanner

No worries, it’s me being a numpty.

We’ll probably end up buying locally, not had a chance to have a play yet, but can usually wangle a decent discount or some nice freebies out of the LCS.
    🙂
    Would also like to be able to take it back WHEN I break it.

Much appreciated, thanks for the help!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Usually, the best camera, is the one you have with you.

If it’s massive, heavy, complicated, it’s not great as you leave it indoors.

The best pictures I have have been taken with my Olympus TG3 and now TG4. Tough Olympus cameras. They have Been on holidays, swimming, paragliding, diving, mountain biking etc. If they weren’t tough, Waterfoof etc, theyd stay at home, although there are cameras that take better quality images, quicker, more precisely, they won’t take any pictures if they get left in the bag,.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another camera thread – Sony RX100 mk1 for £275? RAW compact alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.