Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another brakes thread, sorry!
  • marksnook
    Free Member

Been running my shimano zee for around 3/4 years. Bit of a triggers broom scenario as I have replaced levers and a calliper but that’s through me crashing not malfunction! Pistons are getting sticky and a bit of fluid has appeared coming out of the lever end somehow. Tempted to replace. Obviously hope are in the picture but that modulation/ instant power blah blah argument is done to death so that’s a decision on me! Think I’m between another set of zee, Saint or hopes. Hope feel like the gamble after being so used to the bite of the zee.
    What I actually want to know is, are saint essentially a gift wrapped, posh packaged zee or is there more to it than that? Performance wise?

rsl1
    Free Member

If the lever is less than 2 years old you can get it replaced under warranty FYI

joebristol

I think Zee’s are less initially grabby than the 2 pot – lower models of shimano – but still powerful.

Hope seem a bit overrated – if you do want to go that way get the V4 not the E4.

Saints just have more adjustment than the Zee as far as I’m aware.

If you’ve been happy with Zee’s I’d just be tempted to get them again – although clearly the Hope’s should last longer as you can buy all the bits to fully service them.

Other comparable brakes are Sram Code R / RSC, Magura MT5’s (but with the upgraded 1 finger levers).

marksnook
    Free Member

It’s weird everything I have read suggest saints perform better than zee but equally get reported to be the same! It’s confusing! To be honest I have no idea when I last bought a lever let alone where I got it! so probably couldn’t claim!
    Never liked a set of sram brakes, not tried the newest though. The magnetic pads sort of put me off the Magura. The mt7 would be the option for me maybe. Maybe the modulation of the hopes would reach me to ride better. Planning and managing my speed rather than coming in hot to stuff and relying on slowing down quickly!
    I just hate breaking part of the lever clamp and having to buy a whole new lever with shimano

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t see any reason to buy Saint at all, apart from posing value perhaps.

Deore four-pot seem the more likely alternative to Zees now.

I have Sram Code R on one of my bikes, which I’m very pleased with. They are worth a look if they pop up for sale (I think they may be OE only officially).

joebristol

I’ve got Code R’s and a Guide RE. The guide is ok but the lever feels a bit cheaper than the Code. The Codes are awesome.

But if you liked your Zee’s then it seems a no brainer to get another set!

Hope V4 alternatively probably isn’t going to disappoint too much.

philstone

SLX 7120 4 pots. Its been well documented that the M9120s are the same calliper design as Saints (in terms of power and piston diameter) and the SLX’s are the same, just 69g (or so) heavier.

daveylad
    Free Member

If you are happy with shimano go shimano. Ive ran various saints for 10 years with no issue, they are my goto brake. I assume zee’s would be equal in power.
    I wouldnt discount magura either, very happy with mt7, even better when fitted with a shimano lever.
    Sram codes I found lacking in power & lets not even mention the feeble power that hopes can muster.

alan1977
    Free Member

kind of hooked on zees, they are my go to, slightly nicer lever (dimples) than deore 4 pot
    and always on reasonably priced sales on crc etc
    was looking at the trp range but figured having zees already on the hardtail it would make sense to stick with the same

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another brakes thread, sorry!’ is closed to new replies.