Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another boring shower question…quality valves?
  • martinhutch

I’m now at the ‘buy twice’ stage after fitting a cheapish thermostatic exposed shower valve in the autumn. The cartridge is failing, and making a high pitched whine whenever it feels like it, so it’s going back for a refund.

What are STW’s go-to manufacturers for decent shower valves that might last a bit longer? Are Bristan still any good? Ideally I need one to swap onto this 150 centre wall plate so I don’t spend all day swearing at it.

airvent
    Free Member

Commercially I spec Armitage Shanks and the maintenance guys I speak to like them as they’re the easiest to maintain and go wrong the least often. Not sure about their domestic stuff and they’re a bit expensive but the feedback we get is their stuff is good.

jam-bo

Bought cheap. Then bought grohe. Haven’t touched it since.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I always use Hansgrohe Ecostat on any job I spec. Never had a faulty one yet in 10 years of fitting them.

globalti
    Free Member

Hansgrohe and Crosswater are two good brands.

nobbingsford

@martinhutch,

What was the original valve you fitted? I’m embarking on a new bathroom/shower room in January and want to avoid your mistake!

martinhutch

@nobbingsford

Micoe, via Amazon. The perils of buying in a hurry on Prime…

EDIT:

Can’t fault their returns process though. Contacted them to ask about repair/replacement and they insisted on refunding me immediately, despite me protesting that I needed to buy and fit a new one first!

martinhutch

Forgive my ignorance, is Grohe the same as Hansgrohe?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

globalti
    Free Member

No they have the same roots but are different companies.

nobbingsford

Micoe, via Amazon. The perils of buying in a hurry on Prime…

Thanks Martin.

Anyone have any experience of the Mira thermostatic valves for sale quite cheaply at Screwfix and B&Q?

Like this one:
    Mira Apt Shower

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ideal Standard Easybox slim control (only one I could find designed to fit in a stud wall) Hansgrohe everything else.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another boring shower question…quality valves?’ is closed to new replies.