Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Another bike theft thread…..didn't think it would be me…
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, my Trek 1.5 road bike has been pinched from outside work in Leyland in broad daylight.

Fortunately its covered on the house insurance, but its sickening to think some little scrote is profiting from people who work for a living.

So if any one seesa lime green and white 2009 Trek 1.5 pedalling the streets of Leyland, or indeed on ebay any time soon, I’d appreciate a post/email.

In the meantime, what bike from Wheelies for £750? Seems like they’ve got Raleigh, Specialized, Felt, Lapierre, Scott. At that valuation in today’s poorly spec’d bike catalogues, nothing seems quite as nice as what I’ve just lost 🙁

nmdbase
    Free Member

There’s one on ebay

shedfull
    Free Member

Gutted for you.

If you’re anything like me, the new bike won’t stop you being angry about having the old one pinched and you’ll still want to find it. Start scouring the usual places – Gumtree, Cash Converters and eBay and set up searches. Gather all your pictures of the bike, make a flyer and drop it into every local bike shop.

Good luck with catching the thieving scum and either getting the bike back or getting it replaced.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, yep, the thought of a new bike isn’t really appeasing me at the moment.

That would have been quick work indeed. No, its still got white bar tape, and is a size 56 and a charlie the bikemonger sticker on the headtube saying “Cycling is not a crime”. Thanks tho, will keep an eye out there too.

RustyMac

Can you push your insurers for a cash pay out instead of going through wheelies?

Stanfree posted a thread the other week on road bikes about the £700 mark and this Canyon came up that seems like a cracking bike for the money.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2502

Brycey
    Free Member

Jeeso that Canyon seems a lot of bike for the cash!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Not sure, its with M&S and I’m currently dealing with Wheelies.

The Canyon is sold out good and proper though unless I need an XL…

grum
    Free Member

Not to say I told you so – but what was the place you left it like? I’ve had a bike nicked from outside work, and since then would be extremely wary of leaving anything with a well known brand name on it outside anywhere for any length of time.

Good luck getting it all sorted out.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The (new) work bike shed is on the work premises within the railings but alongside the street unfortunately.

The insurers have given me a valuation but Wheelies don’t seem to have much on offer at £750. There’s Specialized which I always feel is a bit ‘Ford Mondeo’ and then brands that seem rubbish value for money like Cannondale, Tifosi and Felt.

Doubt I can argue that I want another Trek, which it doesn’t look like they supply?

grum
    Free Member

Doubt I can argue that I want another Trek, which it doesn’t look like they supply?

I reckon you can. Pretty sure I’ve heard of people doing this and it’s fair enough really. Mind you I’d call Trek pretty ‘Ford Mondeo’ too. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

They supply trek but they are not on the website as you have to collect them. email me if you want more info. have just been through this with wheelies and m+s

Blame Wiggo, nobody used to touch road bikes 🙁

metal_leg
    Free Member

My roadrat went a couple of weeks ago. Police said road bike theft has gone through the roof since TdF.
    Wheelies can supply stuff not on their web site. They couldnt get cotic so suggested another steel sort-of-a-tourer-off-road frame, which isnt on the web site. They seem to be dealing with the claim OK so far. I had to talk to the custom build guy.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Wheelies offered me a giant frame to replace a Rocky Mountain one a few years back – I said I want an RM, that’s what I bought and that’s what I want. The cash was sent instead after a chat with M&S. if they can’ty supply what you want then M&S will make you an offer. Just make sure you know what’s gong for what money so you can argue back a bit (ie – that one Wheelies/M&S have found on sale and are trying to lowball you with is not your size etc)

Rich

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    bruneep

Don’t have to deal with wheelies you can get cash settlement. I did just tell them that there is nothing suitable.

RustyMac

Didn’t realise the Canyon was all sold out, sorry about that.

There are a few bikes on pauls cycles arround the £750 mark

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p0

A Scott spark, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Synapse and a Giant TCR 2 these all come with Tiagra rather than 105 that the Canyon had but seem to be a couple of hundred pounds off RRP and are in a selection of sizes.

RustyMac

ooops double post

zerocool

I thought a lot of insurance companies went through Wheelies for quotes but you should be entitled to spend the insurance money wherever you want to. Or at least that’s what the NFU do. They just used them for quotes.

I’m pretty sure they cN’t make you buy it from one place, I mean what happens if it’s a Canyon or a YT that was stolen? Can’t see Wheelies stocking them. It’s worth asking

FuzzyWuzzy

They have to offer a cash equivalent if there’s not a like-for-like replacement available, however I think they try and reduce the cash offer to factor in the discount they get from Wheelies so you might have to do a bit of arguing to get the full value. Sounds like you need to email chakaping though, sucks if they still won’t deliver a Trek even as an insurance replacement

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Tomo how do you know the thief was unemployed and not one of your workmates?I think you like the rest on here enjoy a good bike theft because it gives you a chance to vent your prejudice and play the hurt macho man.As for thinking the victim of bike theft would never be you.A brief survey of current economic and social realities should have answered that question.Over the next few years crime is going to double in my opinion.The poor are going to be forced to pay for the economic crisis. Time to face reality mate.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Monkey – It was more just a report on what’s happened. I’ve had bike nicked years ago before, and the comment “I didn’t think it would be me”, was more a reminder to myself that you can never ever be too careful and perhaps also reminding someone else “hmmmm, perhaps I need a better lock on my bike outside the office”. I do face reality, that’s why I have insurance.

Don’t think it would be anyone where I work – it would be hard for anyone at the office to nick it during office hours and pretty much everyone working here is a ‘professional’ of some sort.

Some good options suggested, thanks….Chakaping – will email you.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

‘Professional’ of some sort’.Yeh no thieving lying greedy scum amongst managers,bankers and accountants etc.I think that the crime statistics say otherwise.Tomo I,m sorry you lost your bike but you shouldn,t make assumptions about benefit claimants all being lazy thieves.THEY ARE NOT.By the way If I was you I,d lock up only a cheap old bike.I think you,ll find that no lock will save you from the huge gov’t cuts hitting the poorest communities,due to those PROFESSIONAL bankers.

footflaps

I’d wager a large sum there are more unemployed bike thieves than Stock Trading bank thieves…..

thejesmonddingo

I had the same experience as marmoset afew years ago,if Wheelies don’t do trek,then push M&S,they’ll give you a cheque instead.
    Ian

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I think you’ll find footflaps that bike thieves are far less criminally damaging than a single bent PROFESSIONAL stock trader.Perhaps most of the latest bike scrotes are the product of these corrupt failed banker bookies runners.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Another bike theft thread…..didn't think it would be me…’ is closed to new replies.