Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another “40 years ago” post
  • twonks

Not directly linked but as I recently watched a period dramsa thing on TV, I was thinking to myself about how far mankind has come in a ridiculously short space of time.

Comparing technology and events of even just 100 years ago to today is mind blowing and we get faster as time goes by.

In the grand scheme of unfathomable time periods when discussing galaxies etc, I wonder if (and how many times) we have done this before. Evolved so far and then obliterated ourselves either by war or more likely by accident.

The scientists will probably say we’ve never done it as there would be proof somewhere – but I wouldn’t be suprised if it has happened many times.

Would love to get into space and time theories and studies, but I think I’d just frustrate myself with so much information whilst lacking the intellect (and time) to process it all.

scotroutes

Nah, I think “we” have a pretty good time line of what has happened since Earth existed and how long things took. I don’t think there’s a big enough gap to fit in Human Mk1.

The pace of development is pretty astounding though, particularly when you consider how many things we take for granted that early sci-fi writers didn’t see coming.

frankconway

Interesting article – thanks for that.
    I think many people appreciate the pace of technological change but how much has purchasing power changed?
    At the time the costs quoted would have been seen as phenomenal; now – yawn.
    Polaris in 1963 £30-40million; that wouldn’t buy you a medium sized hospital today.
    If only the human brain was continuing to evolve at the same rate…..

donald
    Free Member

40 years ago I was packing my bags to go off to University for the first time.

This time next week I was very, very drunk.

iainc

Haha 😂, thought this was going to be a ‘what did you do when you were 21’ post… 😜

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Would be interesting to experience a modern world that never had crude oil in abundance.

slackalice
    Free Member

In technological terms, we’re probably accelerating at an exponential rate.

In emotional intelligence, or intellectual development, we’ve been stagnant for millennia. Even the ancient civilisations that we know about, which aren’t all that ancient, were asking the same fundamental questions that are still being asked and debated.

It does not bode well…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Saw the thread title, saw the picture and thought ‘nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure’ 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another “40 years ago” post’ is closed to new replies.