• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by moff.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anodising wheel rims. Any reason why not?
  • I should be getting some Velocity Dually rims soon for a Singular Rooster build.
    They will be the polished silver version, so I was thinking of getting them anodised red to compliment (or clash with, depending on your view) the yellow frame.

I ride past this place on my way to work, so that would be the ideal place to get them done.
    Anyone got any idea of price before I contact them?
    Is there any risk to the rims? Either from heat or chemicals?
    I’ve seen some anodised red stuff fade to pink, although red Rohloff hubs seem to hold their colour. Is there a particular process to guarantee a long lasting deep red?

wwaswas

Any reason why not?

you’ve answered your own question

red to compliment … the yellow frame

Please don’t 😉

Speshpaul

powder coat?

I just did a Google images search for “red rims yellow frame” and found this.

I know it’s the wrong way round, but imagine that as a 29+. Awesome. 😛

stumpy01

There are various specs of anodising and the quality of anodising can vary massively. The red stuff that had faded to pink probably wasn’t very well done and probably wasn’t sealed.

Not all aluminium takes well to anodising, so take that into account. At a place I used to work at, we had lots of parts black anodised. Every now and again, you’d get a batch of parts in with uneven colour and a really poor surface quality like they had been attacked with chemicals. It usually turned out that the supplier didn’t have the actual grade of aluminium in stock that we had specced on the drawing and had made it from whatever was lying around.

I think the place we used had a minimum spend of £50, but that was for fairly small sized pieces that fitted easily amongst other jobs in their tanks.

If you look up anodising on Wikipedia, I think there is a very good page of information.

We used to use Mil-Spec 8625 Type II

njee20
    Free Member

No specific reason not to. Some bloke on MTBR had some ZTR Podium rims anodised blue – he’d (intentionally) left them in the acid bath for a long time before hand, and got them down to about 260g too. Mildly terrifying.

Project 321 offer them in pretty colours anyway.

Northwind

Speak to Steve the Anodiser, he did my frame and hubs and it’s a brilliant job- no minimum order either and he was really helpful with my inane questions. I broke a frame part shortly after getting it anodised and he ended up anodising the replacement for peanuts, I was worried about colourmatching but it’s perfect. Worked out pretty much the same, maybe slightly cheaper, than a quality powdercoat (more expensive than a cheap one but I’ve been there, done that, won’t again)

That local place mentions Mil-Spec 8625 Type II
    If project 321 are selling anodised rims, then I guess the process must be safe.
    I’ll call in when I get a chance and ask about prices.

moff

The silver rims are likely to have been sealed with something to keep the finish, so they will need a good etch to bring back to bare metal.

If possible get them put through in the same batch at all stages, etch, anodise, colour and seal. This will give the best chance of matching colour and finish quality.

Hold them on the inside of the tyre seat i.e. where it will be hidden by the rim tape, then fixture shadows will be hidden.

Coloured anodising is a cosmetic ‘soft’ finish and is more likely to pick up dings, scratches and to fade compared to a typical black Hard anodised rim.

Talk to the anodiser’s they’re normally pretty helpful, a batch is normally around £50-75 though deals can normally be struck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anodising wheel rims. Any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.