Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Annus Horriblis
  • January – March, longest horrible Winter working outside.

May – entered bad business partnership (resolved with no loss of revenue, but plenty of stress)

July – friend diagnosed with cancer – chances slim. Pretty much renders my little whinge in the rest of this post insignificant to be honest!

August – ruptured bicep tendon.

September – major operation to fix above, no biking, no work (self employed)

October – no biking – see above! Working, but horrible shitty job

November – see above. Lost my best furry friend

December – presented with major probability of downturn in work for New Year. Lost puppy today (Friday 13th)

Just for the record, had a word with myself and I don’t have a bad life/others far worse off. There have been some highlights, but few and far between.

Overall though, it won’t go down in history as one of my best years. Still time for it to get worse I suppose.

wrecker
    Free Member

Still alive? Family ok?

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

I have piles as well and I have learned to live with it.

khani
    Free Member

Sometimes shit happens, we lost two parents at Xmas one year (both our dads) and inherited another with severe dementia, Xmas was pretty much cancelled at the time..
    But, life goes on and now we’re back on track and things got better, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger..
    Things will pick up and you will be fine, all the best.

matt_outandabout

Hugs?

shooterman

Someone in a thread here said their favourite quote was: “this too shall pass.”

I read that at a time when pretty much everything had / was going wrong. I just kept that quote in my head when things were getting on top of me and it helped.

Just remember things will get better. I’m sorry to hear about your year. I also got shafted by a business partner and I know how stressful and hurtful it can be.

piemonster

I was, just to begin with. Pleased I’d miss read the thread title.

RustySpanner

At least there’s always The Blades.
    Oh, hang on a minute……..

Best wishes for next year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spring this year fecked knee, broke my arm for the second time in June, just getting back to some fitness and broke it again for athird time in november, basicly been told with a whole load of iffs snd hopes for good luck the bone graft should heal by June next year.

I know worse things happen at sea and im still alive, but im still **** off with my luck this year and there wont be any riding or any other sport next year to make up for it.

winston_dog
    Free Member

2011 – Changed jobs and moved house again! Really stressful and quickly realised the job was not what I expected.

2012 – Mrs couldn’t settle in her new job, trying to sell a house at the other end of the country, problems with tenants etc. Work got worse and I really didn’t enjoy it, really regretted my decision to change jobs.

2013 – Changed jobs in April, more money more time off and much more interesting projects. I have done some of my best work this year. Finally sold the house so the threat of not being able to pay the bills at the end of the month disappeared. This month, the parent company announce significant benefit package for the new year, which I didn’t expect, so a nice little bonus!

Basically, 2011 and 2012 were shit but 2013 has, so far, been really good. Also, I wouldn’t of been in a position to take the opportunities in 2013, if I hadn’t gone through 2011 – 2012.

Hope your shit sorts itself out! Good luck!

MoreCashThanDash

If we didn’t have bad times, we couldn’t fully appreciate the good times.

Hope that this time next year you are looking back at what an improvement 2014 was!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It will get better and worse and better again. Just hold on tight.

gordimhor

So this year has seen my marriage breakdown, debt and me on medication due to stress plus a very uncertain outlook at work. Am now separated getting off the pills and work looking a bit more secure, ,debt paid off.
    Joe Strummer once said ‘The future is unwritten’ 8)

brakes
    Free Member

A revelation in cycling for me was to not think about riding up the hill to the top, but riding over the hill to the other side.
    Don’t just think about the hill, think about getting over it and what lies beyond.
    Thinking about life in a similar way works too.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My year hasn’t been a great one either – made redundant, lost my grandad to cancer, mum diagnosed with breast cancer.

But, we’re all trying to keep our heads up and working on the principle that it will pass and things will get better. You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth.

chewkw
    Free Member

shooterman – Member

This quote is flaw. The question is when? It is no good if the problem does not pass while you are still alive or too old to enjoy.

You should not wait for a problem to pass but rather you face it head on. It’s either you win or you loose and no pussy footing. i.e. try to find the answer/solution in all ways and forms.

CountZero

Chewkw, you seem to be under the misapprehension that it’s an entirely passive statement, whereas it just as easily means that by changing the things that are causing the problem, your situation will change for the better.
    I have an Ogham translation of this saying tattooed around my wrist, as a constant reminder that, no matter how crap things are at any given time, they will improve.

willard

STR, I feel for you, I really do.

2013 has been bad for us too (Lost our first child at 20 weeks gestation, lost my dad to cancer last month, found out last week the chap that helped me through the breakup of my last marriage has cancer) and we are really hoping that 2014 gives us just a little bit more luck. Actually, I just hope it’s fair to us.

Keep your chin up, stay positive and try and have a bit of a break over Christmas. You’ll be fine.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Crap year for work this year and next doesn’t look any better and my mum died suddenly on the 3rd – her funeral was on Thursday. Dad died 6 years ago so that’s that 🙁

walla24
    Free Member

Chin up chap!

On a brighter note have a chuckle at me misreading the thread title to suggest it was about digestive issues 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Chewkw, you seem to be under the misapprehension that it’s an entirely passive statement, whereas it just as easily means that by changing the things that are causing the problem, your situation will change for the better.

Yes, the statement sounds passive. i.e. time will heal etc …

IMO if the cause of the problem is not known then “this too shall pass.” may be true since one is not even sure there is a problem. So the longer the problem remains the more likely the person will take it as the norm. i.e. no problem or problem has passed. Which can also mean that the person affected would not have the knowledge of the problem but carry on as normal. “this too shall pass.” may then be seen as the inevitable and normal, which leads to none active search for the alternate solution.

I have an Ogham translation of this saying tattooed around my wrist, as a constant reminder that, no matter how crap things are at any given time, they will improve

It will not improve but prolong and degenerate into something else. i.e. a knock on effect of some sort.

In my personal experience it took me a while before I knew I was shafted at work for so many years. I thought I was doing alright then. I did not even know the person (planning behind me) who did that to me until it was too late. As a result I missed the boat and eventually has to remain as a part-time bureaucrat until I can think of the next step (hopefully in Feb 2014 to start my small business) I would have remedied the situation then but it was something I did not know happening behind my back until three years ago. Now I just want to get out of the situation but my wasted time also affected my other prospects …

Therefore, “this too will pass.” can be seen as rather self defeating.

The zombie maggots that caused me so much hardship have all gone onto greener pastures except leaving me to search for remedies now after so many years. Career has completely kaput with no chance of reviving but to look for alternatives.

Angry? That does not even come close to how I feel.

🙄

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Annus Horriblis’ is closed to new replies.