Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Annual electricity use.
  • samuelr
    Free Member

Over a 1 year period I have used 8000 units of electricity in a small 2 bed flat. The building is 5 years old and The electric only, no gas, but this seems excessive for 2 people. What do stw think?
    I don’t have access to the meter as it in a locked room with the other services and rely on the management team to give us the readings.

grtdkad

If you have electric heating (?) then I would say that sounds low tbh

grtdkad

Though I’d be less happy relying on “management team” information. Is there just one meter for the entire building and they’re divvying up in some way? How do they allocate use?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuelr
    Free Member

Individual meters for every flat so not split from a group.
    I would guess that the heating is on a max 1 hour an evening when it’s cold. The flat is on the top floor so doesn’t get cold really.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

~4100 day, ~2100 night over last 12 months according to recent bill.

e7 storage heaters, no gas, immersion using last ~1 hour of e7 in the early hours of morning.

Two of us, six fish tanks but only one has significant lighting (~200W iirc) ~6 hours per day, only the garage tank has a 300W heater set to trigger on if temp drops below 18C for sub-tropical livebearers. Washing machine cold water feed only, usually set to do 20C washes.

8000 sounds high to be honest, as we both work part time and someone is home during the daytime most days (so pc/tv on, regular kettle boils etc.).

If you have storage heaters, check they are not consuming electricity outside e7 hours. After years in our rented place we discovered ours do if the input is not on minimum and it explained some horendous winter bills we’ve had, I now turn any heaters to min before I head off to work or on days off just before 0730 if I remember, turned on just before bed when needed so ~2 hours of “daytime” rate there.

MrSmith
    Free Member

About 5350kwh. All electric E7 1 bed top floor 80’s built triple glazed, new unvented cylinder overnight immersion only (mostly use shower) new ‘smart’ storage heaters.
    Annual bill is around £550 depending on how cold the winter is.

jamesco

Two / three of us ! In a three bed detached, gas central heating with wood burner, electricity use has fallen this last 12 months to 5000kWh from 5100 the year before, don’t know if this helps but you can never have too much information where energy use and cost is in question.

dhrider
    Free Member

2 adults and a baby in our 3 bed semi.

2767 units in the past 12 months.

We have gas heating, water & hob tho.

matt_outandabout

I’m not sure a management company are allowed to lock your meter away… I could be wrong, but I have a memory many years ago when we priced up a house split into flats that the meter had to be accessible by the homeowner, we couldn’t put it where I had hoped to.

shindiggy
    Free Member

2100 units last year, 3 bed, two adults two kids.

Gas heating.

woody2000

5350kwh last year, 4 bed semi with 2 adults/3 kids.  Gas heating though.  People are in a lot though and kids are crap at turning stuff off!

Edukator
    Free Member

2 bed house with 2 adults – 1600 – 2500 kWh consumption depending on how much we home charge the electric car. No gas. 2.5m3 of wood for heating. Solar thermal. 3400kWh PV production so we make a nice profit overall.

csb

Regardless of where the meter is, and who can see it, presumably the energy company have a contract with you alone? So you can demand to see it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

8000 units of electricity in a small 2 bed flat.

We do 8000 in a full size house, not electric heating though, but family of 4, big dose of daily tumble drying, immersion for the water in summer, electric oven / hob. No mains gas in my joint – heating is solid fuel, everything else electric.

Space heating from electric is expensive, you’re maybe not so far out with that figure.

johndoh
    Free Member

7,000-ish units last year (4-bed detached with 2 adults + 2 children). Unfortunately the tumble drier is in pretty constant use despite my best efforts. We have gas central heating and hob (but electric ovens). We also have two underfloor-heated bathrooms and electric towel rails.

brant
    Free Member

Six fish tanks?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any of you with gas heating, please stop commenting, utterly irrelevant: heating and hot water is 70-80% of energy use in the home.

OP there are lots of other factors but I see people with electric heating use 3,000 – 13,000kWh pa. What matters is can you afford it and are you warm enough/too warm/using your energy efficiently. (I advise folk on this stiff for a living).

As above I’d be concerned about the meter access, I can’t see how that is legal.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Six fish tanks?

Yes, six, from 60x30x30cm to ~180x50x40cm and adult fish from ~5x1x0.5cm to ~30x7x7cm (body dimensions, excludes fins).

What consumes lots of electricity in fish tank is “exotic” lighting systems and heaters. I only have one tank of each realtively big consumer, otherwise I would definitely have less tanks… Although I could move some fish and get that total down to four, if I fancied the fun of catching them! 😆

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

£30/month gas and electric

Saving the planet by being a childless loner in a jumper

trail_rat
    Free Member

2 bed house with 2 adults – 1600 – 2500 kWh consumption depending on how much we home charge the electric car. No gas. 2.5m3 of wood for heating. Solar thermal. 3400kWh PV production so we make a nice profit overall.

did you even read that back before you posted it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Annual electricity use.’ is closed to new replies.